Problem Performance is toast again because GPU is idling at very low usage

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Neawoulf, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    After the Group C/Porsche 964/new HUD update a while ago i had some really weird performance issues which made RaceRoom basically unplayable for a while, i've never figured out why. Some time later they went away and everything was running at great performance all the time, even with high details, lots of cars and VR etc.

But now i've tried the new update and it's an unplayable stuttery mess again. Framerate is jumping between 40 and 52 fps, even with mostly low details and 1080p, both in monitor mode as well as in VR, no matter what graphics settings or VR supersampling settings i use.

I did some testing and GPU-Z tells me my GPU (RTX 2080, NVIDIA 441.20) is idling at 1515 mhz all the time with an extremely low GPU usage of around 15 to 25% in RaceRoom. This doesn't happen in any other game. So of course there is no performance at all because the game simply doesn't take what needs. Even simple 2d games use more of GPUs power than RaceRoom currently.

Am i the only one with this issue and is there any way to fix this? It's so frustrating to see the performance is there but RaceRoom simply isn't using it at all.

R3E GPUZ.jpg

My system: Ryzen 3600X, 16 GB Ram, RTX 2080, Oculus Rift S

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  2. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Setting the power management mode setting in the Nvidia control panel to 'prefer maximum performance' for raceroom should make it boost to the correct frequency at least, though it will probably not fix the low usage. The CPU is usually the issue in RR, though the 3600 is more than capable of it (I have one as well), I would definitely explore in that direction first anyway, low GPU usage is almost always a bottleneck somewhere else.

3. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Nvidia drivers are already set to max performance mode. I also checked for any framerate limiters in my driver profiles, windows energy saving modes etc., but it's all disabled. Everything should run at max power which it does in any other game. But i'll check for CPU usage, didn't try that.

*edit*

Here's some more tests, same cars, same track, same settings. CPU usage looks quite high on all six cores (SMT disabled, also it's not an 3600 but an 3600X, but it shouldn't be too different) at normal clock speeds. That little dip down was propably when i switched between desktop and game.

R3E Performance.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  4. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Looking at CPU usage in Task manager or generally on core level is virtually useless. You need to look at thread usage for Raceroom specifically to get an idea.

And tbh, I would absolutely expect 3600X with 2080 to be completely CPU bound with very low GPU usage in Raceroom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Where can i check the thread usage/what tool do i need for that?

I'm sure the CPU is the limit here, but that limit shouldn't be that low. Just two weeks ago i could drive with the same system with 30 AI cars in VR at stable 90 fps (old Rift CV1) with no issues at all. Now i can barely keep 40 fps for ASW (new Rift S) with more than 10 cars visible and my GPU is simply yawning all the time.

6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Not sure why its being said that 3600x will bottleneck 2080 (unless you are goiing for high fps at 1080p) in R3E ! especially as you've said even 2D is suffering .

Check out Thomas Jansen's 3600 doing very well here
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/directx-9-cpu-benchmark-thread.13473/

Ive had R3E struggle from time to time and its been silly things on my end each time . I hope you can find it because R3E is so great atm .

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  7. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, i just posted there and i'll post the results of my cpu benchmark here as well. Btw. i reenabled SMT for this test again and upgraded my GPU driver to version 441.66, but both didn't solve the performance issues.

Unigine Benchmark DX9low 3600X.jpg
    CPUZ Ram timings.jpg

8. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Screenshot (144).png Yeah see 3600x should really be a bottleneck , lol
    Great score , just beat mine :( Good minimums on the 6 core !

9. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Guess the issue is somewhere else then :( At least it behaves like it's a CPU limit. With 20 cars max i can at least play now (new Nvidia driver, slightly higher RAM requency), but there's no way around ASW @40 fps. True 80 fps with other cars on track aren't possible. Overall the performance was way better before the update.

10. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I tend to repeat myself…but stuttering etc in VR will only end when DX11 arrives in the distant future.

11. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Process Explorer, for example.

12. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I play on a single screen and vary AI between about 27 to 41, I run a 3900x and 1080ti and often get the GPU not maxxing out its usage.

13. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    What resolution? Are settings maxed? Vsync?
    I play at 4k maxed 29 cars (because I heard over 30 changes Ai behavior) and if i unlock vsync it maxes GPU but with vsync its between 70-80%.

14. mclaren777

mclaren777 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I spent 10 hours recently trying to improve my R3E performance – went from GTX 1080 to RTX 3080, but didn't see any meaningful improvement. Thankfully, somebody tipped me off to DXVK and I believe RTX owners will see the biggest performance boost from this hack. If I understand things correctly, it tricks R3E's aging DX9 engine to render inside of a Vulcan wrapper. I literally copied two small files to the game's x64 folder and got a ~20fps boost from a very demanding setup (all graphics maxed, CrewChief + OtterHUD, 35 AI cars, etc).

You can try DXVK for yourself here: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/

A comparison video that I've made...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I asked the question before in another thread and don´t believe got an answer. Does this count as hacking the game in terms of exploits and possible bans?

16. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Do you see the devs in threads like this?

17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    In the second post!

18. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    And?

I have never seen that they have a problem with "mods" like this. If people can find a solution to their problems i guess the devs are happy with that.

I guess..