[Physics Update] Tyres, force feedback, AI and general developments - 10/12/2019

Discussion in 'Car Information and physics updates' started by Alex Hodgkinson, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    A little follow-up. I now tried it with the default FFB profile (figured out I had to delete all my other profiles for it to be created). It's better, eg. the new M4 GT4 feels more right. But overall feeling is a bit numb. To me the new FFB with the new car physics is less informative than what the whole thing was few iterations earlier.

2. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I have tried. I get only very little information. The only thing that it communicates are the curbs or going off track. And with Slip effect = 0% there's no info of understeer, only audio. I guess it must depend on the wheel. I have G25.

On some tracks I understand that there's no much feeling of bumps since they don't have any bumbs made into. But at least Nordschleife used to have some road texture before. Now there's none even if I crank up the vertical forces.

3. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I didn't check with latest tests but FFB being so very light on some cars I figure clipping's not the problem. It's like having massive filtering where only big movements (like hitting a high curb on Nordschleife) cause any action on the wheel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'll have a go later today. I've been testing the latest content only since I've been curious what's the latest and the greatest. But I'm interested on the physics update of old content too. I hope 92's are still fun :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. #TC f1mate

#TC f1mate Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I had to strengthen some settings on the ffb but now I get all the feedback and more compared to prior to the patch

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Follow-up again. There was little clipping on Porsche GT2 but that was not the reason for numb feeling and DTM 92's weren't any better. I experimented a lot with the settings and best results I had was with cranking up the lateral and vertical forces and then going down with car specific FFB until the desired level of FFB. But no change in that total lack of little details. I have hard time believing the FFB meter, I can't feel any of those small vibrations that the meter shows. I tested Assetto Corsa and rF2 and they're ok, FFB is detailed and crispy. I wouldn't miss the rattling of G25 gears so much in other detail but understeer having zero feedback is a showstopper. Car just pushes straight with wheel staying totally silent. But thats it for me now, I figure I've done everything I can and this is the way it is with G25 now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all!

First of all, congratulations Sector 3 and Alex in particular for all the good work in this game. Its nice to see it grow and getting the updates it deserves, and i hope it becomes one of the main go to sims of the community in the future, because it has the talent and content for it.

Now, i just want to nitpick at something, that i am sure it wasn't actually Alex who wrote, but rather has been copy pasted for many years around the sim racing community:

"DifferentialPreload
    How much torque difference between the left and right driven wheels needs to be met until a wheel speed difference is allowed. until then the axle is locked solid. This setting effectively increases the amount of locking the differential has throughout its operating range."

This is not entirely true, the differential is NEVER LOCKED. The preload value basically determines how much torque is transmitted from to the high traction wheel, before the spring clutch assembly is overcome and the extra torque is transmitted to the low traction wheel. But until there is a loss of traction, the diff is essentially an open differential.

This video explains it very well:

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Today I took the Cup Porsche to check the new feature flatspot and puncture. Well made. This will be something important to avoid for future races. Little space for improvement is to see those spots visually at the tire. Currently there is no graphical effect implemented as I could see in the F3

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gumvald Larsson

Gumvald Larsson New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Back on track again: added this to the .rcs file in UserData/ControlSet/
    FFB throttle vibe freq mult="0.5" // Scales actual engine frequency ...
    FFB throttle vibe zero magnitude="0.05" // Magnitude of engine vibration ...
    FFB throttle vibe slope="0.0" // Slope of line defining magnitude ...
    FFB throttle vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave ...

I have a Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    What I noticed - and I didn't expect that - is, the possibility to have multiple flat spots on one tire. While provoking that new feature using the formular junior I was astonished how believable that feels. The frequency and amplitude of the wobbling increases if you overdo it to the point where it gets nearly undrivable (in a positive way)
    The effect even is beautifully coupled to the load of the given tire - I have no words for such brilliant details!!! Just great guys!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Fábio Ramos

Fábio Ramos Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Anyone with a nice FFB setting to Logitech G29?

Thanks in advance!

12. SKY

SKY New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You need to delete all the old car setups ! Use just the default car setup !

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  13. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Any chance to shate your rcs file? TS PC RACER owner here too
    Thanks so much

14. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I didn't use old setups. I can't even have old setups for Porsche GT2 or M4 GT4. Anyhow they shouldn't affect the FFB.

15. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    I'm happy to see what happened to the steam charts after release. R3E figures are extremely pushed these days. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. dene

dene Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I permanently lap per lap, with gt4 driving through massive curbs in Zolder Kleine Chicane. In lap 8 CrewChief tell me: suspension damage, lets take it easy.

17. ave_golf

ave_golf Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Guys in the new FFB Graph, clipping is on where touch the red upper line or when the imput pass above it?

18. Fábio Ramos

Fábio Ramos Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    A bit of "off topic" but I have a question and would like to know your opinions...

I have a Logitech G29 and I have the change to trade it for an Fanatec GT3 RS V2 Wheel with the CSR pedals...

Is it better than MY G29?

19. ave_golf

ave_golf Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    169€ vs 500( in that time) + 200€(pedals)

How much the V2? Why not the V2.5? I dont like to buy 2hand wheel bases, i dont know what hard its worked in the past,
    And the V2 if i remember well, it had a lot overheating that with thr evo 2.5 was solved

20. Fábio Ramos

Fábio Ramos Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I can get the GT3 RS V2 with CSR pedals for 80 euros... I just wanted to know if the GT3 RS V2 is better than the Logitech G29 I have or not.