FFB Multiplier

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Dec 15, 2019.

1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    As I believe the FFB multiplier is there to give you some idea how the car is handling in real life.
    Like a car with strong powersteering should handle more lightly, means the FFB Mult. is around 1.6- 1.8.

Now my question is: Where does these standard numbers are coming from?
    Because some of them seem to be way off, like the group 4 BMW has standard FFB Mult 1.8 and I would have thought that this car has a very heavy handling, something like 2.5 or above? But I could be wrong.

The next question is which car should we use to set the baseline FFB, a car with a standard mult. of 2.0 maybe?

For example if you use the new Porsche GT3 2019 with a standard mult. of 1.6 and you set everything up even a little bit more lightly and then you are using a car with a standard mult. of 2.0 or above it will feel very heavy.

how strong should the basic forcefeedback even be? Most GT3 cars in real life are possible to drive with one hand as far as I know.

Difficult topic :D

2. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Interesting topic. I find that most cars need higher multiplier values in order to get solid feel on your hands. I dont think it translates to power steering. Its more like some sort of friction but not typical friction. Along with higher multiplier values I also use damping and friction in simucube and not in raceroom.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Currently I'm trying to find out which real life steering Nm some cars are reaching. After a little bit of google research, most people are talking about 12Nm peak torque in some GT3 cars. I wonder if that's true :) So I started to adjust the basic torque with the DD1 with the ingame settings (just doubled the Steering Force Intensity to very strong 60%) and now I'm at 6 - 9 Nm normal and almost 12 Nm peak torque in some situations.

And that changes everything, My past setting was way too weak to simulate anything nearly real. Now all of a sudden roadtextures become alive and everything feels much more like a racecar xD

I always believed that GT3 cars are easy to handle because of the power steering, but if that 12 Nm peak torque is true, than it's everything else but easy :D but hell of a fun.

it depends on your basic strength setting, with much higher value most of the multiplier settings does make sense (but the group 4 M8 is still wrong I believe with that basic 1.8 Mult. :confused: )
    The new damping physics translate very well into the FFB. at least with the DD1, so I don't use any additional Damping effect in raceroom from the wheelbase and just let the raceroom software do the job.

But still, I would like to know how we should see the standard FFB multiplier, @Alex Hodgkinson told me in some thread before that these settings are a little bit tricky to set as far as I remember, other than the steering degree, which comes from real life data. So I guess we shouldn't interpret too much into these values?