Which wheel are you using?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M-Bimmer, Dec 16, 2019.

Tags:
?

Which wheel are you using?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2019.
  1. Fanatec DD2

4.0%
  2. Fanatec DD1

7.3%
  3. Fanatec CSL elite

8.1%
  4. Fanatec Clubsport

6.5%
  5. Simcube1

3.2%
  6. Simcube2

4.0%
  7. Accuforce

4.8%
  8. Thrustmaster

30.6%
  9. Logitech

27.4%
  10. Others (specify in comment)

4.0%
  1. William Richardson

William Richardson Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion the best belt drive wheel for the money is the Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer - Thrustmaster VG Ts-Xw Racer - Thrustmaster T-GT Racer they are all pretty much the same base other than the Thrustmaster T-GT has the transducer. As far as direct drive wheels the SimXperience AccuForce v2 Direct Drive Wheel, has no competition in its price range. The complete setup minus pedals can be had for about 900 us throughout the year. Less if you want to use one of the rims, you already own ( even thrustmasters rims can be converted to work ) 600-650 us with a coupon code. Even without a coupon code 700 us is a good deal, in my opinion.

With that said you can't count out the Logitech G series wheels, some of the fastest people in sim racing use them. I guess it goes to show, you cant buy fast you ether are or your not.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  2. TDIdriving

TDIdriving Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Accuforce V2 here. Have it since two years now. I am still happy with it. Had the TS PC Racer before(i liked it very much), and its a big upgrade for a low pricepoint(expensive are the great wheels you can buy, i bought 3 wheels from time to time from Ascher Racing). Works very good with R3E and all the other Sims. Only the always on fan in the Controllerbox is not so good, but when you drive you dont hear it. Until now there was no day -and its in heavy use- which it wont work.
    Best regards

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  3. William Richardson

William Richardson Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I ran into this clip today, found it interesting on the subject of what wheel are you using. Right around 22:40.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  4. ibporsche85

ibporsche85 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Geico Caveman 3.jpg
    I'm this Guy!
    Thomas Super Wheel Evolution Digital with ball bearing steering shaft (no FFB)

5. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    do mean the part with the nascar guy driving with a G27?

It's old news that you can be fast with every setup. But first: he's driving nascar, so ovals.. not much to do with the pedals and steering. Second: Many high level iracers (especially oval drivers) use little to no FFB on their wheels. They don't drive for the immersion, they drive to win.
    You only buy a DD wheel to lift the immersion (in road racing it can give you a better consistency).
    But if you weren't fast before, a DD wheel won't make you faster.

But like I said before... that's already a known thing :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    TS-PC, with 599FXX rim, T3PA with load cell.
    Cannot stop playing, noting my go to sim is ordinarily RF2 given the FFB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ibporsche85

ibporsche85 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    No ... but that I'm still using a non-FFB wheel, circa 2001!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Fanatec DD1 , amazing FFB :)

9. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Ts pc owner here as well. Got it with the f1 type rim then bought the 28cm addon wheel basic rubber type rim you find in t300 package
    I find it too small so i did an adtermarket mod with a larger rim 32cm but it damaged one of mounting trhread after few months using it
    Do you find the 599xx ok size wise? Do you also do rally sim with it?
    Thanks

10. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I just got the TS-PC, coming from a modded g27. Self xmas gift, too much $$$ to ask the wife for.

It is a nice improvement in overall feel and resistance. Ive only driven maybe 4-5 total laps, since a side affect of getting this wheel is wanting to really sort out all my other rig parts, like mounting the buttkickers better, button boxes, etc. Been basically wrenching on the rig 85% of the time since I got the wheel!

Currently using the low end thrustmaster 3 pedal set..certainly not any better than g27 pedals, they will be returned for some fanatec csv with loadcell.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Feel free to laugh at me. :D

Bodnar V2 here, the FFB is really awful (the latest update didn't helped at all). Static friction doesn't work, when using the steering rack setting the motor feels very fidgety when turning the wheel and curbs are extremely over-exaggerated dispite dectivated in the FFB settings (the vibrations are stronger then a buttkicker). The same problems as I have in ACC. It doesn't matter what I change in the driver or ingame or if I use new/different profiles. When I play Automobilista, Dirt Rally, GTR2, Race07, rFactor 2 and iRacing the FFB works well out of the box. o_O

The thing is, when using a GIMX adapter to bamboozle the computer that the connected usb device is a G27 instead of a Bodnar, the FFB in RaceRoom is incredibly amazing! Static friction works like a charm and the overall smoothness and grade of details feels awesome. I usualy need to use this adapter to play old games like Need for Speed Underground 2 but I thought maybe it gets the job done in RaceRoom. And boy it did. :)

I wonder why there's such a huge difference in the FFB with the exact same equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    T300rs with 320mm OMP rim. FFB is excellent. Only limitation is the overall strength of the wheelbase. Next upgrade will be a DD. But not for a good while yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jiva

Jiva Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I’m enjoying my TMX thoroughly but have nothing compare it to. Default settings seem reasonable for most cars but whenever things seem off, I remind myself “it's the indian, not the arrow” :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  14. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you!

The steering wheel for them price is very good, but terrible plastic spoils everything. I ordered the original Mercedes-Benz adhesive tape(part: A006989778510:D), which wraps the electrical wiring - it is denser than VAG Group, today I will get it from the representative and I hope it will fix the situation. :rolleyes:

It may sound stupid, but the only downside to this steering wheel is cheap materials.

15. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    T300TX, was fine before update but went through some teething issues after. When the update first landed, being the manly man I am I jumped straight in with all my old settings but picked a new car M4, if I remember correctly, so no prior saved setup. Did a few laps around Most and although light on strength the feeling was great. Anyway to cut a long story short I eventually got round to reading comments on here and S3 published their recommendations for clearing out the old and starting afresh, which I did. I then went for a lap or two and it was all way too light with no sensation of driving at all, I then reset the FFB settings I used pre update and it felt even worse, heavy and spongy. So back to default and start tinkering, what I have ended up with is so far from my previous setup you'd be mistaken if you thought they were for a different sim, yet the feeling I have now is incredible, so natural feeling, with the smallest tweak in the garage being relayed to my hands, bloody marvelous job by S3, bloody marvelous.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Killg0reNL

Killg0reNL New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    How did you got it recognised properly?

17. Exiled Scotsman

Exiled Scotsman Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I had run the sim as admin at least once without any addons such as 'simhub' or 'zeroforce HUD' running (they just happen to be the two I use), then I set-up my profile and everything seems to be working fine, see pic.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• DD1.jpg
      DD1.jpg
      File size:
      228.5 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. wsimonds04

wsimonds04 Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    An old Logitech g27
    Same issues as a couple of other posts. Not able to get a great setup or what I think is realistic feel.

Its all I've got and all I can afford, so I'll just live with it. At least I get to play the game :D

• Like Like x 3
  19. schwalbach123

schwalbach123 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I have a Fanatec CSR and im still happy with it!

20. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Csl elite wheel with Mclaren and BMW rims. I had to do a fair amount of messing around with settings and I’m now fairly happy but not ecstatic. It’s annoying because I’m pretty sure that the perfect settings are there, somewhere, I just haven’t found them. That’s something I didn’t say before the update and I’d stopped playing R3E, but since the update, I’m back.

it would be helpful if there were “official”, stickied forum threads for each wheel which the devs could participate in and wheel owners could post their setups. Possible?

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1