Feedback on [BETA] - RANKED servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stickdeath1980, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Stickdeath1980

Stickdeath1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Don't know where to post this so thought i'd make one.

- i like the track switches why not make it every 45 min's or 20min's give people more time to practice that track?

- Muticlass GT3 and GT4 etc

-incidents have a limit to how many you have on a server 10x incidents then a drive thought?
    Make people fear and think before divebombing and corner cutting (never happen's much)

-serious penalties in place for rage quit and careless driving

-Yellow flags rules are on i like this Maybe a full warning what there logging into in these server's

-Maybe everyhour have 1 hour race IMSA style.

-Have some event's Default set up and other's open.

-Stats for Last race what i gained what Raceroom rating i lost.

Feel free to add what you think just a few thought's Thanks for the Server's this mode acutally gets me racing alot more in raceroom now.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Feimberg

Feimberg Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    A place in the forum or/and discord channel for people to post videos of polemical incidents . Just lost a pole position being punched in the back at the end of the race, but to be honest I don't know who's fault was. The fact was that the guy who punched and made me spin won the race and I lost 4 positions spinning.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  3. jilt

jilt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    Genius!! Did 3 races in a row, all very clean racing and enough time to qualify (15 mins) for a good position.
    Loved this new way of racing and joining lounges. Very snackable!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    How does one know if a server is ranked - I did end up on one and noted the "incidents" as I ran wide on a turn in qualifying.. I very much only want to be on servers with this option!

5. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Actually it's in Beta Status and only the [RR] RANKED named Servers are ranked servers.

I hope the Beta goes well, and we get this option also in the normal Dedi soon.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback

Please realise that these servers are very much a data collection excercise at the moment. They do not necessarily represent the final form of how ranked servers will work. Glad to see they are proving to be a place for good racing already though.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. jilt

jilt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    well, exersising a lot in there ;-)
    Whats the meaning of it all? Letting ranked players in the same league race each other (more close racing) or clean racing points? Or something else?

And where can we see our ranking?

8. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    S3 is working on a system for scheduled organized online races with matchmaking and everything. Similar to SRS for example. For matchmaking you need ranking. And this ranking part of the whole package is being tested on the ranked servers right now.

You can find the BETA-ranking here.

More on this subject in this stream of @Georg Ortner:

• Wonderful Wonderful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  9. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    To bad, the list is now limited to 1000 drivers, so I can not see my progression anymore :(

• Like Like x 1
  10. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Is there any password regulation? Did not try the modus so far, but hopefully later the day.

11. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Interesting concept. Even pulled a diehard SP guy like myself in. :D

Right now it's a bit hit'n'miss, probably due to the free week-end. Generally, people are fairly well-behaved, but you still run into the occasional dive-bomber, or someone pushing way too hard for his skill-level. My guess is that it'll sort itself out as and when we get match-making. Certainly better than most open servers, that's for damn sure.

One thing that is needed is a re-coding of the server timers. Right now the timer only progresses when there are people in it.
    Which means that an unpopular combo will stay there indefinitely, since the timer doesn't progress, and hence the track-rotation doesn't kick in.
    At present the FRJs are stuck at Macau, and my guess is they'll be there for quite a while. :D

What we need is a timer that keeps counting whether there are people on the server or not.
    Not only would it remove the above-mentioned problem with no track-rotation, it would also enable players to plan ahead.
    All you have to do is look at the track-rotation, and then you can figure out when a certain track will come up next.

But all in all, we're off to a pretty good start. Can't wait to see what S3 decides to do with it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Carlos Barros

Carlos Barros Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Still lots of bad drivers and dive bombers there.

13. William Richardson

William Richardson Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I have had about 25 races over at Sim Racing Systems, with 4 incidents all told. I kind of like the way they do it, with the track changing only once a week. For the most part people racing know the track very well, and if they don't they do by the end of the week. This seems to promote better racing, rather than changing tracks all the time. Just my two cents on the subject.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. Jim Eriksen

Jim Eriksen Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    i have done some racing in the gt3 and gt4 servers and i has being good racing in all of them ecept some gt3 there was a big t1 crash but i avoided allmost all of them just by lifting a little early ;)
    i love to see where it goes after all the beta testing and i have looking forward to see ranked and matchmaking here in raceroom if it goes well it have a very brigth future ;)

15. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Personally I'd like to see the ranking based on safety rather than performance, I see a lot of high performance ranked players at the top with bad safety which says to me that it's win at all costs, surely if you want clean servers then put more emphasis on the safety side, anyone can win a race but doing it cleanly takes skill.

Pack racing is a lot harder than just being at the front and being fast, some of the faster guys I know aren't that great at overtaking and being held up in a pack.

The old PCars2 ranking was a shit show, we ditched the performance rank side and set our servers at B100 and above, once you introduce performance points everyone is chasing them and things become less clean, I have been barged, bumped and just generally knocked about because someone is fighting for the glory and it gets dirty.

If you switched the ranking around to safety the leaderboards would look totally different imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    As I already said at the Georg Stream, we really need the Repu rating inside the dedi, so you can set a minimal Repu for let people join

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  17. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Well, yes and no to that one, mainly no.
    I agree that people with higher skill-levels also (generally speaking) have worse safety-rating. Mainly due to people with higher skill-levels are generally more passionate and competitive than your casual sim-racer. Nothing new, it's a recurring theme on iRacing as well where the 'just here for the safety-rating' race crops up on every streamers channel every once in a while.
    Which is something I'd personally like to avoid. Grinding races to just be able to race in the first place is kinda stupid.

More to the point, a bad rep-rating may not be your fault. Someone mistook my car for his brake-pedal yesterday, and just hammered into me, knocking me into someone else, and finally off-track. That cost me something like 12 incidents, through no fault of my own.

Second, running with players of the same skill-level will automatically reduce the number of incidents since they're more likely to run at the same pace, have the same braking-points, and so on. Using the safety-rating as a basis will mean you'll get lots of clean racing, but not necessarily with people of your skill-level, which is the whole point of match-making.

Finally, this whole thing is still very much in its infancy. Right now they're merely collecting data, and nothing more.
    It might end up with certain servers only being available to people with X reputation, whereas the rest are thrown into an open server, no matter what their skill-rating.
    We simply don't know yet. S3 might know, but they're not telling. :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    A bad rep rating over say over weeks/months etc is a very good indicator that you are not a safe driver, yes in the early stages it will not be representative but will average out over time.

I hope it does after testing give us the option to set our server at a specific safety level A/B/C etc because I would rather race with safe people of all skill levels than fast racers who don't care about being safe, giving 'pissing' points for racers just changes their mentality to win at all cost, I have seen it myself with over 1250 hours in PC2.

You do 9 laps out of a 10 lap race and it's neck and neck but the guy behind decides on the last lap he wants the win and has battled to get past but he can't so he reverts to type and gives you the little shunt for the win, I've seen a lot of it and seen it recently in the ranked servers.

I see the performance rating as a secondary, if you are quick and safe you will earn both, it is possible to be both but I would based my view on a driver on their safety, the only clubs that will set their servers for performance are the ones that want to harvest the fastest racers for whatever reason and there are a few clubs out there like that.

I also don't want to race people at my skill level, I want to race faster and slower guys, racing faster guys makes you faster so that works for the slower guys as well, some of our fastest guys were slow to start with but learn't from the faster ones and started beating them.

With all due respect you admit you are a SP guy and you will have not seen the mentality on MP races, once you have spent some time in MP you will see what I am saying.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    In that case, why bother with a performance-rating in the first place?
    The whole point of an ELO rating system is to match players with similar levels. Just like SP racers figure out which difficulty-level suits them the best.

I had one race earlier today on the ranked servers. 7 of us, 3 guys out front who I had no hope of catching, 3 guys behind who had no hope of catching me. So I poodled around for 20 minutes on my own.
    Was it safe? Oh yes, nary an incident-point in sight.
    It just wasn't much fun, nor much of a race.

And just so there's no misunderstandings, I'm currently a SP guy. Work-hours keep me out of most MP races out there. Not too many people on the servers early afternoons.
    But I'm not exactly inexperienced with MP races as such. Used to co-run the Raceroom club over at RaceDepartment.
    So it's not as if I'm unaware of the pitfalls of MP racing, nor of the occasional ego-trip that sometimes occurs.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I understand the ELO rating, I used to play chess, the ELO rating isn't specifically for matchmaking you can still be pit against players with a higher ELO rating but if you beat them you gain a lot more points and they lose a lot more than if they had been beaten by a similar ranked player.

If you specifically used the ELO rating to match players then yes it would be bunched up but it would also be crashy as they will be defending their rating.

It's not hard to beat a higher ranked player if you are consistent and with consistency comes safety, some higher ranked players make mistakes as they are on the edge.

In an ideal world we can set the server by either or both, that way clubs can run the races the way they feel the best.

I wasn't criticising you being an offline player by the way, just I have had multiple 'discussions' with people on PC2 who have had an opinion on the game being perfect when the MP side of it wasn't but they were SP players who had no idea of what they were talking about.

I hope if this ranking takes off we can pick and choose what to set.

• Agree Agree x 1