News Physics Update: Touring Classics, DTM 1992, Group 4, Procar

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Alex Hodgkinson, Dec 10, 2019.

1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    At least get an analogue pad before slating the game. Its not Mario kart.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I use a CSL Elite, mounted to a relatively massive wooden plate, sitting on a wooden kitchen chair with a back of a bureau chair attached to it (stable enough, that nothing moves, but i wouldn't consider it as a pro rig), i'm maybe not that slow, but not a esports pro by any means...so i have to disagree highly here.

....i have the impression, you should at least get an analogue device to play a racing simulation, this is not the right game for a digital device and especially not the right car.

The DTM 92 have a LOT of traction for their timespan of use...after the update, you have to drive them more in slip/yaw, supported by throttle inputs. Not surprising, you ran into problems with a digital device.

One side note:
    Such discussions are the reason, why cars like the new GT3-R got a way too quiet transmission whine.
    Complaints about authentic things, that are influencing comfortability, while asking to have authenticity, nevertheless, leading to compromises, that are potentially harming the overall experience and authenticity. Wich leads to new complaints. It's a negative feedback loop and isn't doing any favour to the whole genre. Just my 2 cents. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Yes, people seem to affirm that using the "wrong" type of controller is like trying to eat soup with a fork. I guess I just lost my appetite for this flavour of soup as it tasted better for me before and buying a spoon won´t change that. Back to Silhouette class it is then.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    If you can't drive the car with your actual device, it IS the "wrong" type of controller...I can "control" these type of cars with wheel and Xbox360 controller, but pushing it closer to its limits is way easier with a wheel...i would spin it right out in T1 with a keyboard.

So sometimes, it's better to use a spoon, to eat the soup, to get more out of the flavour.^^

• Like Like x 2
  5. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    What is the physics reason that you can catch a spin in the Gr4 BMW M1 by applying the brakes and why is this not possible with other cars? Some kind of stability control!;)

6. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    It seems the 934 and 964 have nearly the same behaviour (a little bit less maybe).

7. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    How is the R32 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering simulated?
    @Alex Hodgkinson

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  8. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    That is a good question. Is it possible to model them accurately?

9. Viggdred

Viggdred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    Hi there,
    Since last update, the gearbox of Opel Oméga seems totally wrong....
    Am I missing something ???
    First gear goes to more than 200 km/h !!!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Are you still trying to use an old setup?

[​IMG]

11. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    It's not; I went down the route of the teams like Gibson who disabled the HICAS system and dialled in the car that way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    One hell of a WOW...i didn't know, this exists (on Nissans), until today :eek:

Hypothetically, is it even possible to "fake it in" or modelling it into the engine in the first place?

13. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Yes it's very possible to do anything. For example, with the 1992 DTM Mustang we modelled the solid rear axle with watts link. Any bumps and lumps hit with one wheel will affect the other. That's also why the camber and toe are not adjustable. The Volvo 240 turbo has a solid axle too.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  14. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    This explains a lot of things, not being aware of it before, but experiencing exactly this behaviour while driving the Volvo and Mustang...

Much to learn i have :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Was that approach allowed in N class?

16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    After 10 laps at Brands, me in Porsche with Group 4 Ai set to 107 I was keeping up with the BMW's but we lapped the Porsche's by lap 9! Bop needs work with Grp 4.

17. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    When I test the Gr. 4 cars in Spa, I drive about the same laptimes with both. They are very different and both need some time to get used to. The Porsche is faster on the straights while the BMW is better around the corners.

It's only the AI that suffers when driving the Porsche and this is already reported and being worked on afaik. I don't see any problem with BOP - which in my opinion is a huge achievement taking into account how different the cars are.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. augustkekule

augustkekule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I can only confirm what you have mentioned regarding BOP in Group 4. I consider both cars to be equally fast on most tracks, indeed I´m often faster with the 934. But it takes a lot of time to get used to the vicious and unforgiving character of the 934 when driven fast and to be able to anticipate its unstable behaviour, whereas the BMW is a lot easier to drive fast.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    The 934 has a line that is crossed at your own peril, below the line, an enjoyable, engaging, exhilarating experience but cross that line and you're in the hands of Crossplysius, God of death and destruction, wallmonger, stripper of dignity.
    Real Jeckyl & Hyde, love it!!
    Please S3, can I have some more?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. augustkekule

augustkekule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree with you . Let us hope for further additions to Group 4 like a De Tomaso Pantera or other scary cars. Furthermore, let us all pray for the reworking of the Group 5 physics, without their unrealistic slot car behaviour they show at the moment these cars should be really dangerous to drive fast and make you crap your pants when you reach their limit.

• Like Like x 3