Problem Major ffb oscillations

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by MiRaGe, Jun 24, 2015.

1. MiRaGe

MiRaGe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a DFGT and have major oscillations around the centre of the wheel. If i turn slightly one way I can feel the ffb fighting to go backwards, and if I let go of the wheel going down a straight the car shakes itself in a spin within seconds, its crazy. Once I am turned into a corner it feels fine its just around the centre and light movements. I dont have this issue with any other sims and ive played them all. I have tried all the interface ffb settings and no fixes.

Anyone else have this issue and fixes? Want to give this game a try but cant drive it like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I've always experienced this problem, both with my old Fanatec CSR and my current Thrustmaster T300. The centring forces fight each other and build in strength with every oscillation until the car spins out.

This issue has been discussed at length on Race Department and has yet to be properly acknowledged by the developers even though it's something that affects different wheels and is easy to replicate.

It's not a show-stopper for me but clearly something isn't right at all with the FFB centring forces.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. MiRaGe

MiRaGe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how can it still not be fixed? its not good enough and ruins the driving for me. they just lost a customer.

4. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    do you load the game with your profiler on?

5. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Seems like this is the effect of "sponginess" in steering, many people talking about. I for myself got used to it now, but it's surely something strange there. Maybe the self-aligning torque isn't working as it should, because it "overcorrects" in a negative way.
    Or maybe there's an issue in relation of tyre forces at low speed and FFB. (Similar to the issue stated in this thread)

These oscillations are almost the same effect, if you turn up the so called Drift mode on a Fanatec wheel. The Drift mode supports counter steering, but on high settings the car oscillates quite fast, which makes driving in a straight line more difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    As far as I'm aware, FFB is still being worked on so maybe this will be looked at. I would still appreciate some official feedback on this issue as it's certainly not wheel or driver related.

I'm not a fan of the multitude of FFB sliders in R3E but it is what it is, so perhaps we need yet another slider to reduce centring forces? The phenomenon desribed by the OP is in no way realistic or acceptable.

I combat this by cranking up the damping in the Thrustmaster driver panel and also in-game. This helps somewhat but it's far from ideal as I'd rather not run with damping at all. It's something I tolerate but I appreciate how it's intolerable for others.

7. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    @Ernie

'Overcorrects' is exactly the right way to describe it. The centring forces fight one another and continually build until the car spins out.

Drive in a straight line, then give the wheel a quick left-right input, then take your hands off and watch it go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MiRaGe

MiRaGe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes. increasing the lateral and ffb force to 200% sort of dampens it down a bit, but it doesnt fix the issue. So every has this to a varying degree and is just used to it , or some wheels only?

9. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Well, we've got three wheels from three separate manufacturers covered between the two of us.

10. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Fully agree with that. Sometimes less is more.

And by loosely quoting @Georg Ortner ;) i would like to add, that Sector3 is working on an physics update for the GT3 cars (with support of ADAC GT Masters driver Kelvin van der Linde, and others), which should eliminate this "spongy" feeling.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    try to load the game without the profiler on, check it in try bar if it's still active. I have your problem with all games, so I try to find a compromise "oscillations/no FFB hole in the center" with all games, a small amount of it is acceptable.
    I find out that the problem is also in relation with rotation degrees, at less rotation the problem increase.
    ah, I have a G25
    in R3R try less FFB lateral force and increase dumping

12. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
  14. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Nice one but lol..I was having a Beavis n Butthead moment.... Hu h h Hu huh he said dumping! Sorry a bit childish but couldn't resist.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  15. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Just wrote it yesterday under wheel calibration :
    "Similar issue with DFGT, but only with WTCC 14 so far guess both times when getting online:
    I always do the procedure (after last fix I can start RRE with wheel connected btw.) deactivating Logitech Software ingame but nevertheless the rotation range/steering lock is screwed with the car behaving totally nervous as if steering with a controller - actually impossible to drive *damn*. Looking into Taskmanager the Profiler is not displayed/running in the background (how it should be) but it feels like its active & interfering ....was just starting with a good grid at Macau and spun directly by slightly steering to the right - totally weird - :( ....anyone else encoutered this ?"

Remember I also had it with G5 once, but thats an issue with the profiler running in the background /interfering with the custom settings -even if it is meant to be deactivated sometimes. The latest fix solved the problem that I couldn't start RRE with wheel plugged but there is still something to work on. As long as I double check all - getting sure the wheel is correctly detected/ calibrating before I start the game (and the profiler deactivated ingame) it normally works great....

16. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I think this issue is more fundamentally rooted in the FFB. Talk of car setups and wheel settings is perhaps drifting away from the real issue here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    What made me look at set ups is, not every car does it, I looked at two I mentioned earlier and one is RR and the other is MR (no prizes I'm afraid) so most of the weight is rearward. I thought that in that most of the default set ups are the same regardless of class, engine layout etc. (which bothers me a little, but that's another story) There's something in it, and stiffening up at the rear to control the weight would work. the Ruf is proper wobbly stock, but I have it under control now, barely any swaying about unless I get a little out of shape.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  18. F_FLETCHER

F_FLETCHER Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I have the same problem and a wrote for minutes in a other Thread here in the forum.
    I have this problem after the patch from 22.06.15 for the Logitech profiler from R3E.
    It`s not funny to drive, the car is nervy. I drive the car Audi GT Masters 2014 and GTR2 the BMW M3.

The game is so for me unplayed!!!

Sorry for my english!!! ;) I hope you understand me!!!

19. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure if we are discussing the same thing here.

The swaying is another issue that, as you rightly said, can be cured via setup adjustments.

The oscillations are a completely different thing.

20. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    how many degrees your wheel turns?