News (beta) Multiplayer Rankings

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Jan 8, 2020.

1. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Since our december update, you may have stumbled upon Multiplayer sessions called "[RR] #** RANKED" in the lobby and wondered what that was about.

It has been stated in the past that we're working on bringing a fully fledged online career element to RaceRoom through scheduled and ranked multiplayer series, featuring splits based on pace. We are working towards that goal and a first step was to bring an early taste through ranked racing that's clearly advertised as such, but also exposing the rating to everyone.

The rating, your reputation and your full racing history will eventually be displayed in the new menus (work in progress) but until that's done, we have a page you can bookmark. As I write these lines, it is still a simple list of the top 1,000 players but we are going to update it with more tools and a full list of all players. Stay tuned for that.

Ranking list (updated every 15 minutes)
    http://game.raceroom.com/multiplayer-rating/

How to participate?
    - Race in any of the [RR] RANKED servers available in the lobby and see your rating and reputation scores evolve.

What do you need?
    - Bring your best behavior: as all your actions on these sessions are monitored and linked to your game profile's Reputation score.
    - Intentional wrecking will result in a ban from ranked servers or a full game ban for the worst offenders.
    - Many tracks are on rotation for each server.
    - Upon joining a ranked session, you will see a Message box confirming this is a ranked session. You can dismiss that message by pressing the Brakes or just leaving the pitlane.

How does it work?
    The rating and reputation scores are only calculated from events occuring on servers called "[RR] #* RANKED". You will find them in the list of multiplayer servers inside RaceRoom.

Rating
    Our formula is based on an ELO rating system with many refinements to accurately rate racing events. Each player starts at 1,500 and can then go up or down depending on results. We take into consideration several variables to compute the rating of each driver who took part in a race. The more races you do, the more accurate the rating will become.

The reputation score reflects the behavior of each player on track. The more incidents you get during races, the lower your reputation. The reputation starts at 50 and will slowly rise (or drop) as more races are recorded until reaching a stable and accurate value.

• Like Like x 19
    • Love it! Love it! x 10
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Now we're talking! Great work S3!

3. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Am I imagining things or are there some variables that be randomly applied to the driving experience to gain data points while in the Ranked servers? I say this as I run the same car and the same track in a practice session, and then when I get in a Ranked server the handling may be different, or the FFB has significantly changed and in one session it was as if a slow spin out of the last corner at Laguna Seca was almost inevitable. Not saying this is the case every time but enough to make me ask. I have over 41 days logged in R3E and it seems a bit strange.
    Also an unusual amount of fake names and the driving is all over the place. Not that I have an issue with any of this, as it is a Beta test and to gain the best results randomness does seem to make sense. Just curious if this is the case or has my driving and wheel decided to take a significant turn for the worse?

4. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Awesome!! I like the idea of having an overall goal to work on while racing online.

I need to mind my P's and Q's on these, been getting incidents just for stupid easily preventable oversights and such...my fault!

5. Jim Eriksen

Jim Eriksen Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    after the update with more pages with rankings and server staus i wish i would could see the current track on the servers, hope it can come to live

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Nice to see more tracks on each server and the status on the beta page but what is really missing now is the automatic track rotation when a server is empty.

Either that or stick to tracks from the Starter, Pro and Euros /US packs only as the player base is just not big enough to have enough racers on stuff like Mantorp Park or Blisterberg.

7. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Hi @J-F Chardon, is there some kind of decay on the rating and reputation values? I just saw my values have gone down without me even driving on the ranked servers. Others have "N/A" in the reputation column. Or is this some error? I had not noticed any decay before.

EDIT: Seems to be back to normal again...

2020-01-12 00_50_43-R3E - Beta Multiplayer Rankings.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  8. chunky40monkey

chunky40monkey Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have done 4 races first one finished 3rd from 17th on the grid not bad happy with that, second race got pole taken out first corner at start of race car broken, third race hit a couple of time in first corner suspension damaged but manages to carry on then hit again and car broken again, 4th race at Spa got 7th position (WTCC 2019) hit in first corner sent wide and then taken out at eau rouge car broken, really unhappy at the class of racing seem a little like arcade racing! is there not a tier system so serous racers can play and not allow the idiots in otherwise its seems pointless to me and waste of my time and efforts to go through the process only to be taken out at the start of each race!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I'm starting to get tired of this, but here you go again... :rolleyes:

This is only a BETA-test for the collection of ranking data. There is still no matchmaking or similar functionality in place. All of this will come later when the whole system gets completed.

Please guys, read before you write. It's starting to become silly to have to repeat this over and over again... :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  10. chunky40monkey

chunky40monkey Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Arthur maybe i should have read the feedback thread before posting, my bad! its only I was a little frustrated as I think that this is brilliant system one that i have been waiting for to show the good racers not just the ones able to do a fastest lap! i will give it another go and wait to see the outcome thanks JP

11. Dez

Dez New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi.
    Can we get more detailed information on how to calculate "Rating" points? Qualification result / race result. How many points will be deducted for the cut? Does the qualifying incident / track cut / point deduction? If I get kicked out, why is there an incident point? thanks for the reply

• Like Like x 1
  12. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    I know that Reputation shows N/A whenever a reprocessing is in progress. Typically after a formula change. Not sure when you noticed this but there was most likely a recalculation in progress. When that happens we run through all the race events one by one to come up with an updated ranking. That explains why you may have seen lower values for yourself. At that moment, all your races had not been processed yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Qualification result / race result.
    At the moment, the race session is what counts. Thought about using data such as "has the player lost or gained positions during the race compared to qualifying order" and somehow factor that in the rating, but all the ideas that sound good at the beginning, you eventually have to brush them aside because of exploits or expected misuse of the calculations. For example it would then be fairly easy to gain extra rating by starting from the back and gaining positions. It's a balance act.

Exploits and gaming the system is also why I'm not too keen in giving too much details on how the rating is processed.
    These are exactly the things that we keep an eye on at the moment.

How many points will be deducted for the cut?
    Right now you are not getting an incident point when your lap gets invalidated. That is one of the things that we'll change.
    We're also going to increase the amount of points handed for certain events such as car to car collisions.

If I get kicked out, why is there an incident point?
    If you meant "bumped into" by another player, then the explanation is simple. Take a look at how GT Sport is struggling, with all their manpower and budget, to come up with a fair system that defines guilt in a car to car incident. It's being exploited by trolls who know how to put the blame on the other car.
    So for now, we went for a system of shared guilt. In the absence of human jurors, this is what feels fairest. 2 cars collide, both get incidents. This will encourage also defensing driving.

Here's a great example of that: https://twitter.com/F4HSuperGT/status/1212695346813587457 (his twitter feed is full of examples of why an automated system is a bad idea when it comes to judging racing incidents)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Regarding that point above. At the moment you get indicident-points when you leave the track or when you collide with another car or object. Is there any handling when you get bumped of the track?

15. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    There's a system that prevents escalation. So if you got points from a car to car collision and then proceeded to go off track and hit a wall, we're trying to limit the damage caused on yourself by capping the points you can get.

• Like Like x 2
  16. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Well done, I finally had two more or less clean races in Raceroom.
    Shame that nobody seems to use the FR90s cars but that’s what most sims are suffering from: nobody seems to use historic content, only GT cars.

17. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Participating in a FR 90 at Hockenheim I used the default setup and at the completion of the race the tire temperature never changed throughout and were as blue at the end as they were at the start, and the wear was around 20% remaining by race end.
    I do realize this is a beta test and data collecting is the goal but I will ask again is there variables being introduced to gain data as it seems a bit odd that in one server to the next there are quirks that seem unexplained.

18. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I try and get in about 2 hours per day on FRx90 ranked. (oceania evening timezone).
    The cars are extremely fragile so people have to be defensive compared to GT3 servers where car contact seems to be a given when overtaking.
    I would atleast hope the time and effort im putting into Qualifying is worth it. Feels weird to see 7 people in the server at the 10 minute mark and only 2 bother completing a full timed lap.

In Gt3's for example i keep qualifying on Pole Position but i am absolutely rubbish at starts in those cars so always drop to 3rd-5th after the first corner. Normally work my way back through the field. But its very hard when those cars are so solid.

19. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    A search function would be very welcome. And any chance to see your own score ingame (HUD) sometime? Maybe as an option inside the web overlay?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  20. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    The effort put in qualifying gives you better chances in the race, so it's all connected.
    Those coming in 2 minutes before race start probably have a low rating or don't care too much about raising it.

Time to git gud at standing starts! (disabling TC helps)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1