good lap on GT4@ suzuka leaderboard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jetsun, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Nice one Brian :) i dont think i can take that victory like i did yesterday...
    The rear wing on these cars makes very minor effect on straight line speed which makes it ignorable. I tried lowering it considerably yesterday, but didnt get any gain on straight line.

2. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    here is the damper histo with 5 +clicks on all rear dampers, looks gud, i guess now one can increase all dampers of same amount from that base to get more reactive car, not sure of the side effects
    upload_2020-1-3_17-53-58.png
    Edit: Oh boy not far from the 12', nice!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  3. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Just got down to 2:13.9 with the Lotus. woohoo! :tongueout: I'm still using stock setup for now. I know you guys are serious so feels good to be in the mix, as i'm generally mid tier at best.

Thanks for all the tips here and here's some gains I made...
    - Turn one took it in 5th until 2nd half of the turn
    - On the long left out of the esses, I had been trying to get my entrance wide for a nice exit, but turns out this was just robbing time. I tightened up my line all along the esses actually - had much to gain there - also followed the advice I got here from @Jetsun , just taking it easy on entry to avoid understeer
    Really worked on getting good exits on the next 2 right handers before the left hairpin, and again on the hairpin - that exit is huge as already mentioned here.
    -Tightened up my line on the following long right hander - that helped - was losing time just not caring - but easily was loosing a tenth just kinda thinking it didn't matter on that turn - sounds dumb i know!
    - On the final chicane I had room to brake later - just before the 100m sign. I probably have other areas I can do this since I'm learning a new pedal setup - mainly on last couple sectors.
    - For the final right hander onto the start/finish straight- again I tightened up my apexes

• Like Like x 4
  4. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for drawing my attention for this 'challenge' topic again ;)

@Robert Wiesenmüller 2:12:7 and then realizing it seems you did it in just one lap, maybe two laps.
    Or are not all your laps recorded and/or do you use practice mode first? Or are aliens just ghosts until they break the record time :p. Well done! (same goes for @Mikk Schleifer 2:13:1 --> I feel a <2:13 coming).

I think based on my simracing "skills" I reached my max?! Will give it another try with your ghost car as reference. Will it be rewarding or frustration? I think I already know the answer to my retorical question...

It's fun to see that after this initial post *thanks for that) it seems other drivers see this as a fun challenge to set a leaderboard time. That makes us all winners!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  5. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Congrats to all (self-)improvers!!
    I've hesitated before posting this request, was like "how dare you" so I''m double happy :), I will then even risk another level of request: if some <13' guys can post an in board replay file, that could help as I'm still stuck at mid 14s.

Trying to improve my general driving speed, I'm doing some other lb on tracks of the gt4 ranked server, classics, for now Imola, RedBull, Nurburgring gp fast chicane. New corners, n when frustration pops in I just have to switch to see new improvement or a least freshness, and if that's not enough to cheers me up I take the FRJ

i've observed that if I start to feel frustration I tend to overdrive, to be harder on inputs. Then either I change track or even car as said, or I change my state of mind by going to practice mode and just trying to be consistent, fast consistent, as if I had to catch up with a guy ahead, this is how I realised I can now be consistant 16/mid 15, which is quite an improvement from op, one that I'll be able to bring online :).

I've stopped my setting up for while at where it is now, trying to get more used to the car as it is now:
    -Lowered the rear to min, why not? Helps putting the center of gravity little backward, thus with understeer.
    -maxed out rear stiffness of spring n arb. Upep all rear dampers with five clicks
    -brake 50/50, why not bis, lol, telemetry ok with that. (Same amount of slipping on the loaded F and R wheels in T1 brakings, braking in two parts there btw)
    -one click of more toe out on the front, one of more toe in on the rear to help with corner entry (F toe out) and stability on exit (r toe in) in the s. Hard for me to get real feeling about that though.
    -camber as it is, and pressure as it is as I don't how to play with this when having fixed tire temps. May be I should try to adjust those in pratice and bring in the result in lb, yeah definitely, at least for camber.
    -rear wing default or 11

Btw that's really great idea to be able to visualize how far from default our settings are, helps remember what I'm doing lol.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  6. BrianBosch

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0

(takes some time to upload in 4K)

This is the replay of the 2:13:243 lap. For this purpose I turned on the input meter. When driving myself I turn off all virtual HUD's only the in car dashboard and sometimes CrewChief in my headphone.

Don't know why but it seems replay mode does not show the actual laptime on the dashboard? Only the position on track. Only noticed it now. Will also check if this is the same with other cars. If I do something wrong don't hesitate to guide me in the right direction. Never too old to learn.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  7. Robert Wiesenmüller

Robert Wiesenmüller Esports / Events

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    @BrianBosch 2 valid laps. But 23 Invalid :D

Used Default set, TC preset 5 (20%), Steering 400/18 on Logitech G27.
    Lap was decent but true Esports drivers will find quite a bit of time especially with setup.

My drivingstyle is not so textbook clean so I do not want to give too much false advice, but here are my general tips for improving pace and getting a bit better on hotlap. These kinds of tips that no one likes to hear :D

First of all: Hotlap is hotlap and race is race. If I drive with such a mentality on the ranked server, I pick up many incidents. But on hotlap, you have to be right on the limit and you should see it as a separate thing. You will still learn a lot for the race, where your limits are.

1. Always use all of the track.

I mean both in a normal corner, you should not scrub off speeds on the exits by narrowing your lines, or compromise your entry by being to far on the inside.
    And also with tracklimits. On the hotlap you can try out exactly how far you can go before it gets invalidated.

2. Also maximize throttle, brake and steering inputs.
    All the cars react differently, so with some it's better to coast more etc. or to go harder on the throttle. You find out over time. But I see often that some drivers are simply not going fast enough in the corners, or wait too long to go on the throttle. Think to yourself, is it possible to go earlier on the throttle, to break harder, or drive smoother? If yes - do it! Delta time, or challenge a ghost of another driver every now and then, helps very much to find that out.

3. Find out if you actually like hotlapping
    I know a lot of simracers who drive for the immersion, and there is nothing wrong with that. It's cool.
    It's just that this goal doesn't always align with becoming faster.
    To be honest, I use bonnet view, change my steering range, I even turn on the ghost and line for hotlap.
    My logic in the end is, I may not use the same steering setting or same view as the real racing driver. But I am some dude on an office chair sitting infront of a monitor with a plastic wheel anyway. At least I share the same mentality as the real racing driver, win at all cost :D

There are some things where there is no speed difference, just an easier way.
    Like cockpit vs. bonnet view. Cockpit view drivers can do exactly the same laptimes and there are some amongst the fastest on RaceRoom who use it. Bonnet view is just a bit easier because you can see more. But of course you can keep the cockpit and still be super fast.

But there are also things where there it is necessary that you do it. Like maximizing the track limits, and also maximizing the tyres. If you do not want to run over the kerbs or do not want to slide because you think a real car wouldn't do it, unfortunately you will not improve a lot and you should maybe not focus so much on the laptimes, and get the enjoyment out of simracing from the pure driving experience.

4. Don't blame the setup or your equipment too much
    Setup DOES make a difference for sure. No question. If you want to win Esports WTCR, you are not gonna do it on default setup. But especially now after the patch, the default setups are a good base. Or use a good setup from another track. But most of the times, once you have a decent base set, you find more time by just working on your lines and your driving than by changing each value. And then you dive into the setup a bit later.

Equipment also DOES make a difference, but instead of buying new one, I think you gain the most time if you find good settings that let you feel the road and your car in a way that's predictable for you. And then you get used to it. As long as the inputs work properly, it should be possible on basically every conventional set of wheels and pedals to set good times.

Once you accept it's all your fault, it's easier to make progress. :)

5. Sometimes take a break
    A real hotlap grinding session can be super frustrating. For me it's often better to come back the next day.

6. Set realistic goals
    Most people at the top of the leaderboard are quite young, have simraced a significant amount of their lives and have the necessary spare time to practice. If you are 50 years old and have a full time job and a family, it will be almost impossible to beat them. But for sure you have some names that are always in the same region or a bit above? Or want to break that full second barrier on the leaderboard? That way it's much more fun.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. BrianBosch

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Great tips thanks. And #5 and #6 are spot on for this Boomer Jr.

Sometimes I practice a combo for hours and set a good time (at least that's what I think) then my 19 year old son does the same lap time in about 30 minutes...but at the end we're enjoying it and R3E hotlapping is very addictive. Norschleife with different cars is my favorite (for) now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Andy81

Andy81 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  10. Andy81

Andy81 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R9UJLsZXLWP9E0wVHrbsaqedVnvsN9tQ

Gave the Lotus a quick spin. M4 in previous post was 2:12.664 and Lotus is 2:12.661. Feels like the Lotus has more potential left for me than the M4.

Anyway, hope the replays work for You and are some kind of help. :) Remember to rename them, so they don't overwrite your own All time best replay.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Broke the 2:13 :D
    Was chasing your ghost, Andy, thanks

• Like Like x 2
  12. Andy81

Andy81 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Nice! If You can keep up in the first sector, there's about 0.3 I lost until the finish line. Don't chase it, pass it! :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Wow really great guys! thank you very much for all this, cookies to digests :) sadly for now I'm forced out of the wheel, feeling pain in both wrists, sounds like carpal tunnel pb, so I just totally quit for two last weeks, tried half on hour or so today, very easy on the wheel n shifting, still sensitive, so... Won't go for hotlaps for now, just driving around for a few weeks I guess, addicted. Been too tense in my attempts, will have to keep an eye on that in the future, arf the joy of body getting old, luckily mind getting younger it seems. Thanks again guys, real cool!

14. BrianBosch

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Hoping for a good recovery. Get well soonish

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  15. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Hope you get well sooner than soon™

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  16. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    I'm 55, with a full time job and 4 grandchildren often at home... But I try to keep 1 or 2 hours a day for practice :p:D.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Beastux

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    I followed your advice, Brian, and tried the 934; as Didier said, the main goal is to keep the car on the track but it' really great fun!

18. Beastux

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    Done! :D

2.12:590 with the BMW then 2.12:526 with the Cayman (I screwed the Spoon and lost 0.2s so there is room for improvement). The M4 doesn't really seem at home on this track but it's fast anyway.

As Andreas said, the Lotus seems to have a good potential but I have to practice a bit (2.12:962 for the moment, 0.301 behind Andreas).

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020