5760 x 1080 Triples 100hz solid performance. At 144hz bad performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Why RR is not able to deliver 144fps/144hz as good as iRacing? Occasional fps drop is understandable but in RR the drop is significant and frequent resulting in choppy graphics. If I go to video setting and select 5760x1080 at 100hz, it seems pretty solid.

for you info, my computer and monitors are more than capable:

MONITORS:
    Triple ASUS ROG Strix XG27VQ 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor 1 x 7" HD HDMI LCD Display Screen

CPU:
    Intel Core i9 9900K 3.6GHz Coffee Lake R 8 Core 16 Thread LGA1151-CL Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master LGA1151-CL Desktop Motherboard

CPU Cooler:
    Corsair Hydro H100x AIO Liquid CPU Cooler Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 Mid Tower Case

Memory:
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz C18

OS Drive:
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD

Graphics Card:
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX2080 Super Aorus 8GB GDDR6

Power Supply:
    Corsair HX1000 1000W 80PLUS Platinum Modular

Operating System:
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

2. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    yeah I can imagine you would have to compromise eye candy and the number of visible cars on track to get a solid 144 fps at that resolution in R3E :(

I run a 8700k with a 1080ti at that resolution 5760x1080 and I struggle to get an uncompromised 60 fps on a couple of tracks with full eye candy (except motion blur and car reflections)

I really want to get 144 hz monitors to reduce the motion blur but dang; what sort of system to you need to achieve 144 fps rates so you can vsync them?

Are you able to achieve 144 fps on low graphics?
    I ask as I suspect it's a CPU bottle neck

3. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    its even worse, this is only a practice session and no cars.
    To be honest I have no intentions of lowering graphics settings as it would defeat the purpose of having high spec computer. Best I can say the computer and graphic card are more than capable of running on max setting. In iRacing there is no issue maxing out everything at solid 144hz/ 144fps, smooth as butter.
    I would like to see RR frame rates up there as well

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  4. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    oh yeah I agree
    For me R3E is bottlenecking my two of my CPU cores and that's causing the low rates.
    Not sure why R3E is so inefficient

5. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Not sure either.
    Good performance at 60hz and 100hz. Might need to be optimized for higher fps or something? I have no idea. I'd like to hear from Sector 3 and hopefully we get some answers?

6. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Are you using vsync?
    If that is set to sync to 144hz then you have to deliver 144 FPS or more to get smooth visuals
    What FPS is your system able to throw at your monitors?

7. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Vsync is ON.

For instance, Location Bathurst or Nordschleife, when I start driving I can see constant 144fps. As I get to very first corner the fps drops down to 110fps resulting in choppy graphics. Than it goes back up to 144fps and it drops down again.

The system is able to deliver 144hz or more but my monitors are limited to 144hz

8. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Are your monitors G-Sync equiped? If they are there would be a setting somewhere to allow the monitor to sync at a variable rate the moves with your FPS. I don't own them but I've heard they are good

Your only option is to not use the R3E vsync but use the Nvidia 3D settings and set the Vertical Sync to "Adaptive" but the compromise is if your FPS drops below 144 it effectively/automatically turns of vsync so you may get some screen tearing until the FPS pops back up to 144. A bit of screen tearing is a lot better then the choppy effect with full vsync on.

This is what I do to cope with those couple of tracks that are extra demanding

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    If adaptive also doesn't work. Thena disable vsync or lower refresh rate, otherwise choppiness is expected. Vsync means that framerate drops to lower half. Say 140 fps can result in frames with 72 Hz. It may average to 100 fps but in fact you will be jumping between 72 and 144 hz present.

The engine is really really old (10+ years judging from components, dx9 was released 2002) and simply doesn't scale with modern architecture, hence hitting a wall that mostly depends on CPU clock.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I will try with sync off in RR and will set it do adaptive in nvidia as suggested.

Edit: no G- sync here. Only freesync capable

11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Yeah fair enough. Dx9 seems to be maxed out and you are definitely right about modern architecture vs old engine.

12. Jens Roos

Jens Roos New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The engine seems heavy on the GPU, running 7680x1440p at solid 80fps (with 25 AI) with around 90% GPU load, using "older" GTX1080TI in SLI. I'm using medium on shaders and shadows, else high/max but blur off (maybe something more). SLI scaling is bad, if any but my performance do seem better then @MattStone

Compared to Automobilista also on DX9, proper triple view, 30% GPU load at 100Hz.

R3E might be better/more complex visually in some ways, but at the same time there is also no smoke/dust in mirrors and a lot of Z-fighting going on. The engine would benefit of adapting to DX11 or optimized better.

I'm using g-sync, v-sync off and limit the fps using settings in a custom profile using nvidia profile inspector.

Have you monitor your GPU load?

13. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I did not monitor GPU load. Any recommendations on how or what to use. I know I can download some apps for it

14. Jens Roos

Jens Roos New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  15. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    The windows 10 task manager also shows gpu load and memory usage etc. "Performance" tab. Then on left bottom.

16. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your input. Good news.

In practice session, managed to get consistent 144 fps without any drop, lag or issues even at Nordschleife.

All settings are maxed out except ........Motion blur is OFF (because I don't like it) Car reflection set to medium and Shadows are set to medium as well. Everything else is to the max. In addition, Vsync in game is ON and have no problems with it.
    In single session, racing against AI is a little bit different story. For instance, at Bathurst (24 cars), the fps can vary between 144fps and 99fps but without noticeable graphical choppiness. I can live with that for now and hope things will improve in the future.
    In conclusion, as mentioned by trusted forum members, Raceroom engine is limited indeed and can not take full advantage of the new computer hardware

All in all, I am very happy with the results and would like to thank you all for such a great support.

• Like Like x 2
  17. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Low car reflection just uses a static background image and is therefore tons faster (I prefer the smoother look of that). It avoids rendering the cars for the reflection maps. Nordschleife is actually not that good stress test, because the course is mostly narrow winded and that often means very little track objects/cars are visible.

18. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I prefer 'High" car reflection but it consumes so much and it affect fps ufortunately. Since the focus is mainly on the road/ track and surroundings, car reflection is lower priority .

• Agree Agree x 1