News (beta) Multiplayer Rankings

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Jan 8, 2020.

1. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    My worry is this:
    1. Sit in lobby waiting until the last minute to join a ranked qualifying session.
    2. Join and check fastest laptime
    3. stay for the race if its a noob time otherwise go back to lobby and repeat.
    This type of noob points farming is very common in competitive games.

Now my way to counter this could be to simply not set fast times in qualifying, but that means im sitting in the pitlane for 20 minutes. Quite the opposite of fun, rather boring.

2. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    That method should not work here.

If you join a session where all your opponents are slow, you will be expected to win. So if you win, your gain will be so low that it won't make it worth your time.

But if anything happens to you and you lose or DNF, oh boy you're going to be sorry you tried to noob farm.

Benefit is so low and risk is so high, I don't think it will be a concern.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  3. RIZZI

RIZZI Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    The idea is good but there are too many differences in levels on these races, A suzuka a beginner made a return to the track as a beginner and ruined my race, others close the doors and do anything to stay ahead, they don't know how to ride in a peloton
    It would be like iracing, roll by levels of experience, it would be ranked by levels
    It's just my point of view,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Really? Again? :rolleyes:

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/beta-multiplayer-rankings.14293/#post-194739

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Joel Willstein

Joel Willstein Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Today I finally entered two Ranked #1 races. I finished both races mid pack, didn't cause any accidents, and had one off from being hit by another car in the rear. Both races were run this afternoon, and each had a field of more then 30 entrants. Yet I still can't find any ranking for me as yet. I'm under the impression that the server is updated every 15 min. So what am I doing wrong, or what did I screw up?

6. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
  7. Joel Willstein

Joel Willstein Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    J-F Chardon,
    Thank you for finding my position in the Ranking system. I'm assuming that the every 15 min update is just that, but doesn't necessarily apply to a race that one was in within that time frame. Or that a new entrant would take much longer to post their results for the 1st race.

I was rather surprised that my position was so high considering that I ran mostly towards the back of the pack, but I ran two clean races, stayed on the track, and finished both races. One question I have is about drivers coming back on the track from an off. Almost every instance they just pointed their cars down the track and entered without regard to on coming traffic. It was so common place that I learned quickly to give them as much room as I could, and pass as safely as I could. Does this type of behavior effect their respective ratings?
    Joel

8. AlexB

AlexB New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In almost all racing a driver cannot enter without some basic proof of competence. Qualifying is a simple way to place people in a position with similar drivers. It does not follow that a driver will always perform the same in any car, anytime, on any circuit. So why are drivers allowed to race without completing at least one clean lap within some reasonable time? If no time is set could they be made to start from the pit?

9. AlexB

AlexB New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In almost all racing a driver cannot enter without some basic proof of competence. Qualifying is a simple way to place people in a position with similar drivers. It does not follow that a driver will always perform the same in any car, anytime, on any circuit. So why are drivers allowed to race without completing at least one clean lap within some reasonable time? If no time is set could they be made to start from the pit?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/beta-multiplayer-rankings.14293/#post-194739

11. Thomas-87

Thomas-87 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I can find you on Page 9, Position #4335

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  12. lennyallover

lennyallover Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Couldn't it be ascertained as to which part of the vehicle was involved in hit, the thought being if the front end is damaged the vehicle hit something rather than been hit by a third party, by the same token its unlikely a vehicle impacted in the rear was at fault for the impact, it can happen if the car is placed deliberately in front of a faster vehicle at the last moment but if that happens often that driver's incidents would sky rocket and they would be shot, er, I mean penalised ;-)

13. tobiaspitzer

tobiaspitzer Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I have not read all the amounts here, and maybe I have missed what I noticed.
    There are only qualifying sessions? Haven't seen a race where it's possible to practice.
    And why do I get an Incident if I am pushed off the track by someone else, or I can't avoid a previous accident?

14. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I think the main reason for this decision was the fact that at this point incidents are not logged in practice sessions. But probably also to keep the time spent on one track shorter. Quali sessions should be long enough tho, and if sb needs to practice a track, ranked servers shouldn't be their go-to place.
    Because you were still off track, or had a collision. There was an "incident", that's all that matters to the system, it doesn't blame, nor does it judge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tobiaspitzer

tobiaspitzer Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion especially the Ranked servers should offer a training session to prepare for the qualifying and the race. It gives you more time to get used to the track and the car. In real motorsports it is not the case that you start directly with the qualifying. And the Ranked Server wants to be a little bit closer to the real motorsport.
    It is certainly difficult for the system to distinguish whether an incident was self-inflicted or not. I'm not an expert in such a thing, but I think it would certainly be possible to implement such a thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, but no. In almost any case the circumstances cannot be safely evaluated by an algorithm. Additionally people will try to exploit this by for example braking too early to provoke another driver to rear end them. And in case you think this is farfetched, I can assure you people WILL exploit anything they can to ruin other people's races if possible in some obscure way. People are a$$holes... :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I don't disagree that people will use it to their advantage - I for example still see on ranked servers the leader often having more fouled/bad laps than good/recorded ones..Time penalties not working. This is more often than not in my experience.. Hockenheim and Red Bull being the worse..

BUT don't you think heading your bets, like contact differences in a certain kph or in the racing line braking zones could be deployed? Iracing really does a absolutely terrible job and leaves people so frustrated with being the victim X2.. Insult to injury as it were.

Sure people will do brake checks and things like that - but if damage is on - a brake check that goes wrong for example ends your race pretty quick.. likelihood of facing backwards post a brake check is high.

Again I hear your point, but think making some basic assumptions may help with 85% of the incidents.

Personally I think incidents involving a speed difference of over 15kph is pretty clear most of the time..

Just hate to see another iracing position of just get out of crazy peoples way and let them through or you both lose points.. I hope some smart folks can come up with a partial solution of some sort.

NathanW

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    If you need preparation - you have Single Events, Competitions, etc.
    For Ranked: 20 minutes of qualification and 20 minutes of race session is just perfect.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    You have the game, you have the content, go and practice then when you think you are used to the car and track you are ready to enter the ranking servers. Training sessions? No need, just dont drive like an arse, make an effort to race not just run thru people and learn as you go, simple really.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    If contact bothers people drop into Frx90 ranked theres no survivors if you so much as tap someone you're both going to fail to finish. As a result theres lots of respect!
    The game needs to keep score of your progress and knowledge of car and track experience before people can enter ranked imo. Or some of kind of guiding rope of tests before people can enter ranked. (thats if you're concerned about newbies on ranked). Im not to be honest.

I didnt want to go through more loading screens to practice when the server first cycled onto Zolder and Zandvoort. I just learnt it without issues.. After 25 minutes i had laps nailed.
    Yes it took me a couple of weeks to find some in Racerooms ranked server who remind me of the socially toxic communities of League of Legends and Dota.

9/10 people in this game have been trumendously polite thankfully. Which is what would make me stick around.

• Like Like x 2