[Physics Update] Tyres, force feedback, AI and general developments - 10/12/2019

Discussion in 'Car Information and physics updates' started by Alex Hodgkinson, Dec 10, 2019.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    German?
    Rutscheffekt auf 7% gibt zumindest beim CSL ne ganze Menge mehr Leben in die Bude. Vertikale Kräfte helfen auch für Straßengefühl.
    Der Motorvibrationseffekt ist deaktiviert per Design, da es mit der Methode des FFB zu ungewollten Ergebnissen führen kann.
    Hast du dein Controllerpreset gelöscht und ein neues gemacht?
    --------------------------------
    Slip effect on 7% on the CSL gives a lot more life to the overall feel.
    Vertical forces give more road-feel.
    Engine vibration is deactivated by design to avoid bad influences between forces with the FFB method.
    Controller preset removed and done new?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. michael hartmann

michael hartmann New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    thank you, yes I am from Germany.
    someone had written to me that the motor vibration was deactivated, but I thought that it would be fixed and then available again. I made a new profile.
    with the vertical load I'm almost at the limmit and the jerk effect is 30%.
    with gt3 it is fairly easy to drive, but when I switch to tcr or dtm 92 I hardly feel anything on the road again. maybe a new steering wheel needs to be made ...

3. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club. TMX - no asphalt effect either.

4. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    The road feel is the weak point of R3Es FFB, yeah. There is some improvement with a newer/sophisticated wheel, but it's not justifiying the buy alone.

Try to experiment with slip effect, and don't change it, while driving, change this value in the pits only (it occured for me, that changes of this value only succeeded by going back to the pits and doing it from there).
    The Force intensity value over the Vertical, Lateral and so on is a multiplier, so increasing it will gain more effect from vertical, lateral and so on.

But it's true, that fine road texture/noise is hard to feel in R3E, so i fake it with the slip effect and it works fine for me and i must say, i'm pretty happy with it now, but i remember, that with my good ol' G27, for example, it was indeed very hard, to get a good amount of it, even with 20%, so going over that number, may be a little workaround for people, that want more life in the wheel. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. R.Noctua

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    On my wheel, it doesn't make any difference. That was my last hope.

Yesterday I raised the FFB level to 125 and even in this case I got only a stronger side force.:confused::D

6. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Did you try, to go over 20% slip effect? Forgetting about this whole "canned effects are bad-cult" made the R3E FFB pretty enjoyable for me. :)

(With the CSL i was hitting a sweet spot on 7%, but with the G27 it needed more)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  7. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
  8. michael hartmann

michael hartmann New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your answers.
    @ herve45 ... unfortunately I cannot open your link ...

9. R.Noctua

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I will not tell exactly how much I have set this parameter, as I have already got confused in my daily attempts to bring FFB to an adequate state. I don't have CSL, so my settings will always be very different - TMX is too budget steering wheel. But he's definitely above 20.

I can say that on a straight line I can feel the effect when braking. And that's it - no more. But the steering wheel feels good in corners - at least that makes me happy. :)

10. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Try increasing minimum force a bit, when it's not starting to oscillate or clip, maybe you get some "fake" road noise in the center with that.^^

11. R.Noctua

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I tried to raise it to 120 yesterday - nothing came up. :D After that im go to RF2 and ACC - in it I feel all the bumps in the road and a little bit noticeable bumps (like riding on "small rocks" on tracks, course not all the time).

Am I right to understand that the RRE needs an expensive steering wheel for "road effects"?

12. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I don't mean the Intensity multiplier or Force Feedback, i mean the "Minimum Force" value, should be one of the 4 values on the top of the FFB menu. With the G27, i had to use something like 10-15% to get a feel in the center, but it's a very old full gear driven wheel.
    No, a stronger/newer wheel delivers better overall detail of subtle elements in the FFB, but the lack of road noise is more on R3Es side of things. That's why experimenting with "minimum force" value and "slip effect" could give the whole thing a bit more life, with any wheel.
    But it's harder, if the threshold for the FFB motor, to deliver torque over the wheels own inertia and it's own limitations etc., is less sensitive.
    Like i said: It would not justify a more expensive wheel, if the target is archieving more road feel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
  14. R.Noctua

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Now I see :)

I have studied this part very well - minumum force doesn't give an effect up to 7, or rather it can, but at FFB 120-125.

If I set it to more than 7, there will be a very strong centering and when I turn the steering wheel after a straight line I will feel a gap between the zero point and turning the steering wheel left/right. This is only in RRE, in RF2/ACC I have a value of 9 and no such alignment.

The most interesting thing is that with a minimum force value above 7(FFB - 100, not 120), there is no FFB in the zero point of the rudder - the FFB chart shows it: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/ffb-guide-december-2019.14067/page-20#post-194531

15. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    There is some fluctuation in the graph, so there are indeed forces, but they arent delivered pretty high, so you will probably feel nothing, yeah.

Try this and eliminate value strengths chunk by chunk:

Steering Force Intensity 100
    Vertical and lateral steering forces to 50
    Minimum Force to 10-15%
    Slip Effect to 20-40% (only change this while in the garage, or main menue, to avoid this option, to not apply correctly, sometimes)

Driver FFB strength 100

It's so wheel dependent, how it works correctly for each user, that's why setting up R3E FFB is a neverending story. But this was the case before, now methods have been changed, so it takes another go, to find the new sweet spot.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    What settings should i try for a Thrustmaster PC-Racer wheel? The same you mentioned here?
    DC

17. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    These were basics, i started with on the G27...then refining it.

I think, the TS-PC is more on the CSL level in terms of FFB abilities...so minimum force should probably be 0-2%, the TS-PC should be a pretty beefy piece of kit, that deliver way more subtle stuff.
    Slip Effect could be felt around 5-10% already pretty clear
    Steering Force intensity on 85% is around the value, i use with a CSL, so could be similar for the TS-PC too...
    Vertical and lateral steering forces to 50, then reducing, for killing oscillations, if they appear too strong, especially vertical results in oscillations pretty fast, with stronger wheels, when i got the CSL new at home, it almost ripped a nail off my finger (longer thumbnail because of guitar playing) in a group C car because of that, so it should better not do that too much :D
    Keep Damping on for 20-30% and don't go over 20% steering rack, because recommended after the update (i have it on 0% and it's fine).

All these values are comparable to my CSL FFB settings, but the TS-PC could perform similar, i never tested one, but always heard similar reports of its classification.

also consider fine tuning with the car dependent FFB multiplier

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  18. R.Noctua

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I didn't know it mattered:eek:, but of course I'll try all the settings.

19. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I'm now on G.Ortner's settings cause he has the same wheel. A combination of your settings with that one will do fine, must test more about damping and steering rack.
    Thank you
    DC

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Question:
    Did the Group 4 cars (Nissan,Porsche) also get the new physics?
    I think they are speeding up very slow after the first chicane in Monza.....
    or i drive them in a wrong way.
    DC