Feedback on [BETA] - RANKED servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stickdeath1980, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Jim Eriksen

Jim Eriksen Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    just did a gt3 on imola gt3 that was one big wreck fest and still find on these servers there are some that dont care about other on track than them :(

2. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Just attempted the GT3 ranked server at Bathurst. The cars were using 14l (3 Gall) fuel per lap. Is this a bug?

3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    this one is set at 4x fuel and tyres , so people can get a feel for the 333km race in febuary

Andi

• Like Like x 2
  4. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    "I disagree with you i'll tell you why.
    Gear Ratios = Anyone who knows how to set ratios to suit the track is going to have a huge advantage over base setups. (This is one area i personally think should be locked and its why i think Raceroom has limited gear ratios.)
    Dirt Rally offers a great example of this too. Watch all the world record times and most have gear ratios as low as they can get away with."

Get away with? You make it sound like it's improper. I disagree with you on default gear ratios in the game. There are times the ratios aren't set correctly for a specific track. Having the ratios limited kind of defeats the purpose of realism, wouldn't you say? Having said that, if this limited gear ratio setup mimics real world, then I stand corrected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Taking the GT3 cars as an example, they have fixed ratios because the real life cars have fixed ratios. The ratios used in game are from the specification of the real cars. They do not adjust the ratios from track to track so neither do we. Cars are BOP'd to be competitive with each other by means of weight and air intake restrictors. Some cars have a natural advantage at some tracks. That's also the case in real life.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. geoffers

geoffers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I believe the GT4 & WTCR cars also have fixed ratios in real life & are also restricted to 6 speed gearboxes, whereas some of their road going counterparts have 8 & 9 speed boxes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Then I absolutely stand corrected.

8. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Any chance it can be set to 1× (and perhaps down to a 20 minute race) now that the 333 is over? Was about to enter my first ranked server but then i saw those 4× and didnt bother joining anymore :D

9. Owldy

Owldy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just joined a race around Hockenheim and let me be clear when I say the experience was utter s***. Yes we all want clean racing and the idea of an Incident System is good in theory.
    I started from the back, having joined at the end of Qualifying. Off the start I was fast and made up a good many places. I avoided the first corner and second corner incidents and was high in the field, only to have a driver punt me up the rear going into Mercedes Corner. This for some reason added around 5 points to my license plus damaged my suspension.

The rest of the race was a boring struggle. I am not one to quit but this was not fun, which is the point of all of this am I not mistaken? I was forced to push the car to catch 2nd to last place, resulting in me spinning and amassing more Incident Points. Eventually I got bored and drove my car onto the grass while breaking for Turn 2. I Spun off the track and got my 30th point. Nice. I just got Disqualified because of the actions and damage caused by an irresponsible drive.

1st Point: If you are going to have an Incident System you need a victim system too. I can’t be punished for the mistake of another driver especially when I have no way to avoid it.

2nd Point: For those out there who believe fear will make people drive safer, I totally disagree. Punishment for contact with other cars is not going to do anything. It is a great chance for wreakers to remove you from the race. It also adds an unneeded level of stress which leads to more Incidents, which leads to more retirements and quitters. This is bad.

Add a reward system for safe driving. A safest driver award that adds a point multiplier on the ranking table. While we are on the topic of the ranking Table please add some sort of reward. A medal to display on your profile, a livery, a symbol next to you name, anything. Just something that makes it not completely irrelevant and meaningless. Give people a reason to want to climb that ranking.

3rd Point: Why am I getting punished for going off track? If I was cutting, I would understand. I would have gained time and an unfair advantage. But in the example above I haven’t gained time. In fact I have severely lost it. Now R3E you have the ability to tell if someone has cut a corner and gained time because your penalty system does so. Please use it. When do you see Lewis Hamilton getting the black flag because he missed the apex? Bad Stewardship leads to bad racing and a sore audience.

4th Point: Change your punishment system. Open servers are naturally chaotic. 32 drivers who don’t know and don’t trust each other. Mistakes happen but how can you expect drivers to improve when you remove them from the race. Remove the Disqualification and add a Drive Through. If they don’t server it in 3 laps they are removed but give people the chance to race. I’d be pretty pissed off if I spent 20 minutes practicing and qualifying for this race only to be allowed to complete 9 minutes of the race.

I hope this is a useful review that you can use to progress with the ranked servers which let me say I am a massive fan of. They have brought the community into a competitive yet caual environment that is working brilliant. My anger only comes from my want to see these servers and R3E itself improve.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    So to summarize, you got punted, and got 5 points, which is absolutely no big deal in yhe grand scheme of things. You then lost your head which resulted in poor driving and you ammassed more incident points. Sounds like the system is working perfectly to me.

Drive on the track, not the grass, it helps.

While this is an ongoing testing phase the majority of people are having positive experiences in the ranked servers. Ive had some of the closest, fairest battles outside of iracing on them. Touching another car, both in a sim and in the real world is the absolute worst thing you can do as a driver.

There will be no "blame system" coming because they don't work. Be aware of who is around you and drive accordingly and you will do just fine.

Keep DNFing due to incident points or rage quits and watch your rating plummet, then you will never get to race with the faster cleaner drivers once a rating matching system is implemented (assuming it will be)

Thanks for your feedback

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Where can we see the points obtained during a race?

12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it would be good to see how many points were deducted in the end of race results.

If we DNF due to a mechanical issue e.g. terminal engine failure or suspension damage, do we still get a rating hit? That does seem quite unfair as the game kicks us automatically in the case of the engine and in suspension sometimes it is impossible to make it back to the pits and all that happens is we accumulate more incident points from crashing while trying. Plus repair time is 3 minutes so on a ranked server 20 min race our race is over so it´s double jeopardy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GearGrinder

GearGrinder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    You guys should purge the website list of everyone with less than 10 races.

14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You don't get terminal damage by driving safely. In any race getting your car to the line is the first priority. Where you finish is secondary. In terms of reputation it's better to repair and finish last than not finish.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Why?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I just tried out the new system and have to agree with some of the points @Owldy made. It is remarkably easy to get to 30 points on a track like Norisring with a full grid as every single scrape or bump costs. Some other car spins off in front of you and you could hit him or drive off track to avoid but either way you get a penalty or maybe two or three as double jeopardy applies.

On a wider track with more run off then you have more leeway but it is an impediment to close racing the way it stands. The famous Villeneuve Arnoux battle at Dijon 1979 would have been a double DQ if it had been run under RRE server penalty system.

I think it´s important to have some type of discipline but this is not a driving test simulator, it´s a racing game and the idea is to be be able to race other opponents - some slight contact and off track excursions are part of that, especially when human opponents will make mistakes, block and change line.

Furthermore, if the off track penalties count towards a server kick then track cutting with invalid lap time, ignoring blue flags for more than 10 seconds and driving in the wrong direction should also count and be more serious offences.

My suggestion is that if the 30 point count is maintained, the first four collision and off track excursions be worth 2 and 1 points respectively then after 4 collisions or off tracks the current system be applied or that driving a clean lap reduces the points by 1 for every clean lap or you get to the end of a race and most of the field has been sent home or is scared to dice in case they get kicked.

At tracks like Norisring, Monza or Spa you can easily have multiple touches with opponents at the first corner if you are not starting from the first row of the grid.

Finally, regarding terminal damage, some kerbs are still causing disproportionately high suspension damage and rollovers, even at very low speeds and others like the chicanes at Zolder can be attacked aggressively and nothing happens. It would be great to have this rectified in parallel with the penalty point system.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  17. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I don’t know if it has been asked already: will drivers loose rating/reputation when they quit before the race ends? I still see that behaviour sometimes on the ranked servers. I know it’s frustrating when your race does not go as expected but I also think it’s important for your frustration tolerance to endure these situations and just keep racing until the end (unless your car has too much damage of course). In Iracing you’ll loose lots of rating if you quit the race way before the official end. That keeps people from quitting.

18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You lose rating from quitting yes.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    And how about quitting to pits and waiting there ? By the way i really hope there will be a spectate mode soon, that's very needed in MP races IMO... i can't understand why the functionality is there during all sessions but not in the race ?

20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    If you camp in pits and don´t move you will get a server kick too and I assume that would still count as a quit.

What is the point in starting and parking in a racing game? Would we get to the absurd situation where people who pit every lap or tootle around at the back have a better reputation than real racers who actually try to race?

Don´t get me wrong, I think the idea of a rating and penalty system is good for fair racing and to matchmaking but this game has a lot of finetuning of collision detection, damage detection and the points system before that can be effective.

• Agree Agree x 1