Silhouette Tires heating up after Feb update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gansa75, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Gansa75

Gansa75 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm a noob at simracing .. Just lets get that out of the way straight away ..

But since the last update , i noticed that on portimao for my silhouette series canhard r51 the LF tire temp quickly rose up to 120 degrees C and i had to drive in granny mode in order to be able to take right hand turns ..

i wasnt the only one in that last particular race who suffered from that i might add.
    but i presume that its bad driving on my part (throttle, braking , steering lock etc. .etc.. ), causing me to lock up and burn up my tires ..
    Has anyone else been suffering the same issues lately , and had to adapt their driving style ?

2. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    personally i cant get the temps up until 4-6 laps in even then not much. alot of lock ups and i need more rear bias then just about any other car in r3e

3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This is because of the better tyre physics. On a circuit with a lot of hard corners in one direction the front tyre will heat up as it's under load for longer. Zandvoort is a good example. Adjust your setup to even out the loads. Decrease tyre pressure on that tyre and/or increase front anti-roll would be "quick fixes" but you may have to them compensate in other areas of the setup.

4. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know @Alex Hodgkinson is introducing tyre heaters onto these cars in an upcoming patch (no idea when) which will really help the cars in the first few laps.

5. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    yes tire heaters will be great for r3e

6. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I was very critical of the tyre update on the GT3 range and with time have got used to it but find I am using them less, The Silhouettes on the other hand are way better than before on every track I have tried, yes they do take a couple of laps to warm up but so they should, as for Portimao it is very hard on ns front with any car, just the nature of the track

7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Tyre heaters are already in the game and are used on many classes that use them in real life. Silhouettes being a fictional car can have any spec so tyre heaters, TC, abs etc are all options if the devs choose to enable them.

8. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    What were your concerns with the GT3 tyres? If there is anything constructive I can pass on to the devs I will.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    What steering lock are you running?

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn´t it be better to soften the front ARB and increase front left tyre pressure to lower front tyre temp and reduce wear?

11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Soften ARB would increase weight transfer and thus load left to right when cornering. Stiffer means tyres are sharing the load.

Tyre pressure as far as I understand too high leads to ballooning in the centre which increases wear and temperature. I may be wrong though @Alex Hodgkinson could you confirm?

• Like Like x 1
  12. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Constitutive is very difficult to put into words as its all down to feel and that very much differs from each persons view point, reading the post on this forum that seem to be the view of most, from a personal point of view the steering has less feel than before almost as if over damped, and I have spent many hours and now have a usable setting, this is at the expense of the non updated cars, I realise it is impossible to program for all system configs, the December update was not good for mine, I do have a very old system though so support is bound to drop off, the fact the game is being constantly being developed is a major plus in my view, especially the presence of developers and other staff on this forum

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The new ffb was developed in conjunction with the new physics and tyre model so it is true that older content will feel compromised. The ongoing update process should bring that content up to current standards eventually but it will take time. Ffb is really difficult to assess as some of it is certainly personal preference. Some people prefer only "realistic" forces as would be felt through the column and some want other forces to be conveyed through the steering too. I'm not going to say it's perfect, and there are some elements that can be improved on the elusive "road feel" being one of them, whether that be from.an effect or by making the system more sensitive to small bumps. It feels pretty good on my t300. Certainly on a par (but with differences) with other Sims that I drive.

To lessen the damped feel of the tyres you can try increasing the steering rack element, in my experience that leads to a more direct steering feel but at the expense of being able to find the very edge of grip....it's more on/off....but again, that's how I feel it...you may love it?

I do feel for those with older Logitech wheels as I think they have suffered a bit with these updates, I ran a g27 for a long time and was happy with it until I changed to a TM wheel. Things do have to move on though and perhaps it is time to say that optimising an ffb system to run on tech that is 15 or more years old (Logitech wheels haven't changed significantly since the g25) is no longer sustainable...

When I get some time I will get out my old wheel and at least try to understand some of the problems and see if we can work out a compromise....

The dev team are very dedicated in getting the best out of the game, now and going forward, as testers we try to say what works and what doesn't, some things slip through and sometimes people are disappointed. It's never the intention to make the game worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Gansa75

Gansa75 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thx for the input guys ..
    Well , I'm not too confident bout changing the setup of the car yet.. still feels like a bit of rocket science to me :)
    So I've been TRYING to become a bit less "binary" on the throttle and brake
    and use a bit more "fast hands/slow feet" in order to reduce lock ups, and it definately helps to keep the temp down a bit .

Also I've been running some races on portimao in the silhoutte class in the instead of doing leaderboard challenges since the tirewear is disabled in those .. and kind of thought me bad habbits in respect of tirewear
    which definately bit me in the ass during races with tirewear enabled

also good to see al the past times from before the updates have been deleted in the leaderboards for silhoutte class cars

@ Vale :concerning my steering lock .. i have NO clue whatsoever what you are talking bout
    where can I look up those values in my settings ?
    I kinda left everything standard for all cars , and am racing with a logitech g29, wich has a 900 deg rotation
    frankly I never gave that much thought

15. Gansa75

Gansa75 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    well for me it got waaaaaay worse .. :) ..
    When i installed R3E i started off a couple of days with only the freeby stuff , then i immediately purchased the european track pack to unlock more MP games , and pretty much a car for several classes .. the lotus in GT4 , porche 911 in GT3 , the hyunday in WTRC (fun class if you want to learn what snap oversteer is *sigh* ) and the audi in DTM

but the porche 911 in GT3 for me at least became heavily susceptible to understeer after the Nov/dec update ..
    felt like driving a banana boat all of a sudden ..

The problem as a noob with merely a couple of weeks of gametime at that point is that if something changes you have no clue wether its the game / the wheel settings / or bad driving habits in general at that point

and it becomes frustrating quicky .

16. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much for your reply it is very much appreciated, I have done some beta testing of other types of programs its interesting and frustrating at the same time, PC hardware and software combinations are almost infinite so creating a product that works for every scenario is impossible, so my thanks to all involved,

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Go to setup menu top right corner and you will see the rotation for the car in degrees and the steering lock, which by default is 8 on the lowest setting. Before changing car setup, work on those 2 settings to match them up with your controller and you may find you solve the problem. As @ravey1981 mentioned, steering lock will affect how you perceive the handling but also tyre wear and temperatures. My lap times round Brands in the DTM 92 Audi can vary by 1 second just by adjusting steering lock and the the tyre temps are also affected.

Regading tyre wear, you can pay about with softening and hardening front and rear springs, dampers, camber, ARBs and tyre pressures until you find a suitable balance for grip and wear and to have the middle of the tyre at a temperature between inner and outer temps, inner being the warmest.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    A stiffer ARB means more responsive handling at the expense of grip. Less grip means more work for the tyres to do so more wear.
    A softer ARB would make handling stodgier but give more mechanical grip so the tyres would do less work and overheat less.
    Weight transfer is going to be a problem as it will be with springs and dampers. Your brakes would lock more with a stiff ARB too.

Too much tyre pressure will cause the middle of the tyre too overheat but too little will make it sag at the corners generating more resistance and more heat/wear e.g. a flat tyre or over inflated one are both bad.

As always, it´s a puzzle with multiple variables to adjust that will all affect each other and also affect handling.

Working on driving style and controlller input settigs is probably going to bring more tangible gains than adjusting setup for a newer player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. KOKORO ga PYONPYON

KOKORO ga PYONPYON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    <About proper temperature of tire>
    Is it possible to think that the proper temperature is up to 110 ° C regardless of the category?
    Or do you think that the appropriate temperature is different because the tires used for each category are different?

Tire temperature management bothers me not only with air pressure adjustment, but also suspension settings, driving, etc., and various factors.

20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Apologies on the ARB issue. You are right. I had it the wrong way around. The worrying thing is I have been simming for 15 years or so and have always had it wrong!!! Oops.

• Funny Funny x 1