Question for Fanatec SQ1.5 shifter owners

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Badgerous, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I bought one recently and for the most part really like it.. I do however have a query on some sounds that it's making.

There's obviously the low-level mechanical 'thunks' that you'd expect from the heavy lump of metal you're moving around, but I also get additional higher pitched 'clicky-snaps' from time to time.

The concern I have is that it's not consistent. Sometimes they're not there at all, sometimes it'll just be moving from 2,4,6 > Neutral, sometimes just 1,3,5 > Neutral, maybe sometimes just across all gears to a lesser extent.. I can feel that little click as well (almost like a switch actuating) which I find a little distracting from an otherwise great mechanical feel.

Changing the resistance of the shifter alters the properties of the click a little, but never removes it. Maybe the following day it'll be gone at first, but it'll creep back in later on.

Is this normal?

2. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Don't recognize that.
    Can you do a video on it?

3. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    How have you mounted it?
    If you are using the c-clamp check the tightness of the two clamp screws
    If one comes loose it can give a metallic rattle sound when shifting

4. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I'll give it a shot at some point, but I don't know how well it'll come across from my phone mic.

It is on the C-clamp (assuming you mean their desk clamp?), but I'm fairly sure the noise/feel is from the internal mechanism. I'll double check all the fixings though.

5. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    yup the table clamp; they really rattle if they are loose and it sounds like it's coming from inside the shifter
    It nearly caught me out

6. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Ok, ta. - I'll double check later.

7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I don't own the SQ, but this sounds similar to something, i have encountered one day:
    My TH8A shifter was making these kind of noises, when the screw/mechanism for making the shifter more or less heavy was too low in tension.
    Does the SQ feature such a mechanism? If yes, try to fasten it a bit.

And once again i can say: Fingers crossed!