News (beta) Multiplayer Rankings

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Jan 8, 2020.

1. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I believe its a good feature,maybe it helps that I didn't have huge expectations.Makes me want to race cleaner and finish every race,there is a significant amount of fairer races for me.
    One negative thing is I wont enter free content servers or my rank is destroyed.The other and more importand is about the incident threshold,its not bad, paint scratch is allowed but I'd rather it was a tad more forgiving,not like full btcc more like WEC

2. canF1

canF1 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't this system capable of differentiating "lost connection" and "high ping"? I got kicked out of the server because ping issues, it does de-ranked me badly a couple of times. Why? Because the server threshold is low for ping times? How is that relating my racing reputation? I'm clearly not disconnecting from the server. I think this has to be further developed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    There has to be a ping limit, which at the moment is 250ms, as cars of drivers with high ping behave erratically and can cause problems for other drivers. The solution for now is to not join a server if you don't have a good connection to it. Ping is shown on the multiplayer page.

4. canF1

canF1 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Normally I get 50-60 ms for European servers. Yes 250 ms is not low like I thought but maybe it should calculate the mean of ping for matter of seconds then decide to kick user out. But this is not the issue. It doesn't have to give bad ranking points for that race because I've did nothing wrong. I didn't disconnect from the server on purpose and game would know this, that's all I'm saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    At the moment all disconnects, for whatever reason, are treated the same. This may change, I don't know, the ranked system is still being developed.

6. Dave Brown65

Dave Brown65 Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    How do I see my incident points during a race? I watch Georg's stream the other day and when he went of track several times his incident point displayed.

7. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    If you go to the hud settings and set "in game overlays" to "all" or "essentials only" you should be able to see your incident points

8. canF1

canF1 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible that Ranking List shows the track of servers, too?

9. Dave Brown65

Dave Brown65 Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Nico.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    I doubt we'll change this.
    If we did, then you just have to unplug the lan cable to simulate a disconnection and get away from the race without a loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    If the game has decided to kick a player for ping, then surely it knows it's done it for that reason? Pulling the cable would be a sudden loss of connection, would that not be different? Perhaps it would be better if a player were prevented from joining altogether if they have high ping to server rather than being kicked later?

12. canF1

canF1 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Wow the intellectuality is high with this one..

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This kind of comment is not useful or welcome. Please don't insult people in this forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    I suggest you take heed of what @ravey1981 said.

15. canF1

canF1 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    If it sounds like insulting you admit that pointing out someone who needs 3rd time of explanation of what I've meant is a bit off.
    I know it can be manipulated if user disconnects on purpose but if game is capable of differentiating "lost connection" from "high ping" this will not be possible. My first message was all about this. So why I'm hearing what I've said from someone like echo instead of explaning if game has this feature or not?
    Now I'm saying it for the 3rd time because it's going somewhere else..

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  16. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    if your ping is high ie above 250 on ranked servers you will be kicked , this can be in any session and at prsent the game sees this as a dnf,

instead of comming back at this again , let do something useful like ;
    what is your.......connecton , lan or wifi
    your location?
    what servers is this happening on

Andi

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  17. canF1

canF1 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes Andi, preventing me from getting kicked will pronounce this issue less, it's better if me or someone else having lower ping or more stable connection. It happened 2-3 times and not happening for the moment. And I'm not trying to take my points back :)
    I just thought that way ranking will have more justice and points will be more about pure driving.

I'm using LAN
    I'm from Turkey
    Server was Europe #8
    Usual ping to that server is ~53 ms

18. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Your ping can also be manipulated by uploading or downloading large files in the background, so there's no point in making a difference between a connection loss or a kick due to high ping.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    As the server can't wait for an answer from the client infinitely, there probably is something set like a timeout limit. So if you are still connected but your ping is above this timeout limit, it just is not possible for the server to differentiate this from a total connection loss (maybe plug pulled).

This paired with what @majuh posted makes it more or less impossible for the server to safely differentiate between some odd hack to compromise the connection and an "honest" connection problem that's not intentional.

To some people this might sound far fetched, but this kind of behaviour is nothing special. It's a problem for a lot of MMORPGs for example. Players who are about to lose a fight just pull the plug or terminate the game process. It's called "combat logging" or "clogging". Developers deal differently with this. In some games a disconnect during a fight is counted as an immediate loss (you die), in others there's the benefit of the doubt. But AFAIK most games handle a disconnect during a fight with insta-death. This sucks if you really happend to have some connection issues or your game crashed or whatever, but usually players accept that anything else totally opens the door for combat logging.

20. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    I can simulate a high ping just as easily as I can unplug a LAN cable.
    In fact we do it on a regular basis to test network code / prediction in multiplayer.

The answer remains, we won't differentiate because there will always be ways to simulate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2