Fanatec General Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DomB, May 22, 2018.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Addition:
    The P1 Rim sometimes doesn't pick up shifter and button presses now, while driving. It isn't energy-management related, already tested it (also Down Shift Protection isn't the issue)...i don't even bother to whait for it to happen again by coincidence, while filming it, for being believed by the support.
    I consider ebay or trashcan instead...

I'm done with Fanatec forever, don't buy their stuff, if you actually want to have fun for more than 2 months, driving pretend race cars!

The CSL Elite (PS4 Kit, used on a PC, though) is overpriced and made of low quality, Fanatec knows it and sells it this way, so be aware of their breaking "premium pretending" stuff.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  2. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Sadly "Designed in Germany" is not "Made in Germany"...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Both my V3 pedals and SQ shifter seem solid enough so far.

I was starting to entertain the idea of a DD1 & a podium hub/wheel, but I've started to think that up in that kind of price range I may be better looking at a Simicube 2 (probably sport) & something from Ascher Racing*. My original plan was a Clubsport 2.5 to keep things nice and tidy within a single eco system (and a semi-sensible budget), but I can't stop thinking that I'd immediately wish I'd gone the full way into DD.

*I'm really lusting after that F28 atm.

4. Olli B

Olli B New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

First of all sorry to those who are having trouble with their Fanatec gear and/or support! However, my experience with Fanatec is very positive...

My CSR Wheel worked well for ten years and broke down last summer (in the middle of a Raceroom special event, still made it to the finish line) due to belt damage, but I am going to replace the broken belt when I have time for it and keep it as backup...

The Clubsport Pedals (V1) I bought together with the wheel are still doing fine after ten years of abuse! I took them apart once a year for cleaning and lubricating purposes and had to change every sensor and the load cell once... Ordering at Fanatec was always quick and easy...

Since the wheel damage I upgraded to CSW 2.5 and CSP V3, working great so far!

But my BMW Clubsport rim had two loose buttons (but still functioning normally) after about 5 months, so I contacted the Fanatec support via their website on a sunday afternoon, received an answer that sunday evening kindly asking for the video. I sent the video of the issue two days later, and the next day (wednesday) I had an email with returning label to send the wheel in which I did that day... Exactly one week later (yesterday) I received a new BMW rim!

Contact and returning was no problem at all and could not have been quicker!

Huge thumbs up for Fanatec from my side!

5. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    My V3 are also working fine, they're also worth the price, regarding the used materials and overall construction/design, feel and so on...
    The SQ shifter is one of the most failing parts in their ecosystem, so fingers crossed, you stay lucky with it!!

I'm sure, they're doing a successful RMA with such openly visible flaws without even discussing.
    But pray, you never have a subtle issue, that isn't always persistent, hard to reproduce, or just slightly affecting the whole experience. They will not help you there, because they aren't allowed to.^^

I mean, c'mon? Slightly varying centering (which is declared as "no centering issue") and missing shifts on a 500€ wheel? Are you kidding me?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  6. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Hi folks, looks like I have a few things to address here.

Firstly, I apologise for confusing the situation. Based on what you showed in your first video, it appeared to me as 'not normal', as I have seen a similar issue before that was solved through firmware. However on closer inspection, I can see that the effect of this 'miss-centering' is exaggerated due to the fact you have set the Sensitivity to the lowest possible steering lock. By doing this, the jumps between raw values are going to be more apparent as the 'resolution' is effectively being compressed. The other video you showed doesn't have anywhere near as much of a difference in movement, and that does indeed look normal.

Hi higsy, can you be more specific? We are using V2s on Podium bases every day...

Please see my response above. The behaviour shown here is due to the characteristics of the optical encoder system. It can't be compared to the Podium or even the ClubSport bases, because those use completely different encoder systems. Bear in mind that our products are created to fit into different price/performance categories. We strive to make the best products for each price bracket, but naturally our Podium bases are vastly superior to both the CSL and ClubSport bases for several reasons, using stronger/more premium materials and higher performance components and technology.

It is absolutely not necessary to supply a video in order to receive help from the support team. If you are asked for a video, you can explain to the support agent that the issue is not easy to reproduce and therefore a video is not possible. Hardware miss-shifting is of course not acceptable and we will resolve this for you.

7. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    My G27 was able to keep the centering exactly in the mid under FFB. Exactly by notch, exactly by degree on a much lower pricepoint and quality range. It should be the opposite...
    I tell you, like also the support now again:
    This is NOT an encoder issue! The problem doesn't happen because of faulty encoding of wheel notches or the optical sensor, it doesn't change the center under turning without FFB or hitting the steering lock. It just happens under Force and full lock/soft lock. It's very likely a mechanical issue, not an electronic one! I'm tired to repeat myself over and over again.

Yes, i risk to pay 40€ UPS shipping then...no, thanks.

I have lost my trust in this, thanks, but i've made my experiences with hardly reproduceable issues and your standards of operation, regarding this situation, i'm done with it for now! I will reconsider later maybe...

Thanks for your answer!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  8. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    So can someone confirm this will work?
    Custom rim onto a podium hub with quick release plus advance paddle module + 2x button modules and will all work on a 2.5 base.

9. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Addition:
    I never bought a more immersion breaking piece of kit like the CSL PS4, every time you drive, you notice the wrong centering to one or another direction, no matter what DOR. If this is normal, then they should think about changing their product description, especially the part about precision and avoidance of influences on the steering axis by a belt-drive, obviously this design is flawed and not working properly. Maybe the guys at Fanatec fail to notice it, but i don't think so, i think, they know exactly, what is going on. No good FFB weighs that out.

This was the worst decision in terms of hardware, i've ever made and i bought the Saitek X-55 HOTAS, when Mad Catz was still their head company for a while. This means something.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  10. Romanov

Romanov New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Friends! Help, can someone tell me the settings for the Fanatek podium dd1 - as well as the settings in the game itself? after these updates management became horrible (

11. EsxPaul

EsxPaul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
  12. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Yes that will work. Only the Podium Button Module Endurance currently doesn't work with the V2.5 base.

@CrimsonEminence I'm sorry to hear you are not fully satisfied with the product. I have sent you a PM.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  13. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Cheers for the reply Dom, but I managed to get a decent Uni hub now so all good..But maybe there is one thing could help with, I've been trying to get a set of the 6 Allen key bolts for the Clubsport GT rim to attach to the Uni hub, but I seem to be going round in circles with the support team and getting nowhere, are you able to do anything that end? or at least tell me the dimensions of the bolts so I can get a set here?

14. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Erm...I think you meant the Podium Button Modul Endurance.

15. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I'll send you a PM.

You are right, sorry! Brain freeze, long day!

• Like Like x 1
  16. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Addition:

Now, the left shifter paddle also fails to deliver any tactile feel and feels way lighter, than the right one on the P1 rim. This rim even was replaced without information, back then, with the RMA.
    So the story continues. :D
    Remember: This bundle is not even a year in use. I could send it back, but i adapted to the thing and just inform. Also i will not bother any delivery service in the current worldwide situation, if it's not absolutely necessary...so they save money at Fanatec, it seems.^^

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  17. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I do not experience any problems with my current Fanatec hardware. I had a McLaren GT3 rim. That was a faulty one. But they stopped selling it due to this problems I guess. I got a refund back then.

18. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    That's almost pretty lucky. :D
    They "stopped" selling it, because their website is not working properly and buggs with the sales option.
    If they would stop selling a product, because it's breaking a lot, they should start with the SQ shifter.
    A refund or a replacement and i would stop immediately moaning in this thread, because each 2 months something else breaks.
    But i'm not willing to get along with the half arsed effort of repairing and still not fixing it, probably over and over again.

19. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    This is a bit too much IMO. Ok you're having problems and surely everyone knows that by now ; many users don't have these problems though, i think it would be better for you and everyone else if you could keep this story between you and Fanatec please ;)

20. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Why should i shut up? Yes, i will tone down my frustration, BUT: Many users also have problems with Fanatec hardware and they're buying their stuff for a good chunk of money, so it's absolutely okay, to share experiences about it, i also would love to share more positive stuff, like the FFB and just asking for things about usability instead of reporting issues, that don't get fixed (Centering issue). If you have a problem with that, press the ignore button on my profile, i could understand, if you would. As annoying it is, it's still worth, to be mentioned. IMO. If nobody talks about it, nothing changes in qualitiy assurance.

But yes. This is getting too much, but i'm not the reason for that. (Except the "frustration-venting tone", i'm aware of that, so i will change that.^^ I don't want to blindly bash something here.)