VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    If performance headroom is 100% green means that the combo CPU+GPU is available and not used right?

I don't think I have ASW on as it fluctuates between 40 and 42.5
    If I set ASW on , all goes smooth at 40 FPS.

2. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Headroom is not calculated correctly, do you run the latest oculus update? Did you try to set vr supersampling to 1 (or 100%)? I run without supersampling, so I up other graphic settings like textures and stuff. I have set antialias setting to 4x multisample in nvidia.
    also the opencomposite dll as described in the first post makes a lot of a difference. (doesnt help you from 40 to 80 though)

3. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @Maarten , I will have a look.
    It is very confusing as I have OculusTrayTool, Steam VR and not sure what settings I have been using.
    Plus , I have not used opencomposite.

4. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Very confusing indeed. Unfortunately SteamVR and Oculus are not optimized for each other, OpenComposite replaces SteamVR. Last week I've tried the latest version of SteamVR, just to see if things have improved, answer: NO.

5. eric cline

eric cline New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just recently got a 2080 super and it's helped alot in most my games in vr.in r3 however the performance seems about the same or sometimes worse..i only have a i56400 which i think boost to only 3.2 or 6..im about to get a new cpu and wondered what the best amd or intel chip is for vr..from what I've read the racing Sims need more single core performance higher ghz over how many threads it has as most only use a few threads in game..just wanted your guys option thanks

6. eric cline

eric cline New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can here to see if steam vr or just using oculus with a cv1 was any better..seems i need to try some settings out in that ini.file .just have to find it.lol sorry not great with computer racing Sims are the only reason I have one.lol

7. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
  8. eric cline

eric cline New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks .

9. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Dude, I am on the same boat .. I bought the rtx2080 S and I own a I7 8700 , the game runs fine in ASW but if i disable it I don't get 80 FPS ( Oculus rift S).

One thing I have to try tonight is to reduce the resolution as I went aggressive with the same resolution as my 29 ultra wide screen.

10. eric cline

eric cline New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah fot the evga so I water cooled hybrid card in tiwn for 500.00 couldn't pass up the deal ..but i thought I'd get 80 90 fps line i heard most talk about with similar or less cards but my cpu I think is where the bottleneck is..i have a prebuilt that I've changed the card and power supply out..going to just build another trying to decide on chipset ..tbis virus thing is giving me more time to be undecided on what to go with.lol

11. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Edit: Reset the GPU profile via inspector seemed to sort it

Im getting constant open composite errors on boot now. I haven't altered anything since i last played on Saturday 14th march

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  12. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think also a common mistake is what kind of test you run in Raceroom.
    There is huge difference between running offline vs online.
    What I was using for testing was killing my CPU : offline with 21 cars .
    Is there any reccomendation on what game mode to test for benchmarking VR settings?

13. eric cline

eric cline New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What are you guys using to monitor performance and fps ..the ott has that but it's right in the middle of viewing..hiw can I record a performance log where would game store that info? Sorry not the greatest with computers..only got into this far for sim racing

14. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    For testing, the OTT Version is okay. No need to see the FPS Counter the whole time.
    If you've tested enough, you can disable the counter.

If you're using SteamVR, you can try FPSVR.

15. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Oculus Rift S (and other with video cam tracking system) highly loads the CPU (20-50%). Less light in the room - more CPU load. HTC Vive has no such problem.

16. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    After doing some testing, I have given up trying to achieve a 80 FPS and went back to ASW.
    I tried the settings in the intial post and even tried LOW settings .

The performance headroom is cleary not working when running Raceroom whilst it makes sense when running Automobista 2 or Iracing which let me thing something weird is going on.
    how come I have a flat 100% resource available and get a fluctating framerate like that..
    Little bit disappointed as I upgraded my GPU card to run Raceroom at 80 FPS but it is fine.

I can run the game with all maxed out with ASW on and it is not bad. I am actually really confused , It is slight slower but very smooth.

17. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    What is "ASW"?

18. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Asynchronous SpaceWarp

Oculus' fancy term for the motion smoothing that essentially guesses at intermediate frames to pad out a higher rate.

For example - If your headset has a native rate of 90fps, then you have three options:
    Best - Render a constant 90fps for smooth/stable results.
    Middling - Render 45fps and rely on ASW to 'guess' at the other 45 to give you 90fps with oddities.
    Worst - Disable ASW and render at 45fps, which will be pretty horrible.

19. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Can you put screenshot where this option at Oculus interface?

20. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1