Opinion: What the best car to learn in?

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by Nash Bobo, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Out of the free cars what's the best car for a pre rookie to learn in? Right now I got a T-150 with basic pedals. Beginner stuff to see if I like this hobby. Give me the why's you think it is the best car for a beginner.

Second Opinion: What is the best track out of the free stuff for a very beginner. Give me the why's you think it is the best track for a beginner.

If you were a teacher at a racing school, what advice would you give. What do you say to them the first day, the first time they come to class. The first thing you teach them. What bad habits to stay away from. I want your reasons, the why's, you feel the way you do. I would like a lot of points of views. 500 words or more is good if you feel like writing.

What videos to learn that are good

This is just a point of view. Please be respectful of others, I know opinions differ.

Nash

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  2. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    FRJ: teach you not to stomp on the brake (no abs), and to be smooth with inputs in general, pedals n wheel, due to heavy weight transfer. If you're no kind with her, she kicks you out. Smoothness seems key in racing to keep maximum grip at each driving phase, means more speed.
    Would be my go to car, but I would try the other one from time to time, just to realise that I'm starting to better understand those too, there's synergy in diversity.

Sepang because there is some diversity of corners and still not too difficult, and you can learn it one half after the other, less corners to memorize at first.
    Then I would learn RR raceway layouts and portimao but not in first place as they seems more technical to me, especially w/ the frj. Stowe idk, still have to better know this one.

I guess driver61 is good teacher.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  3. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Hey! Jetsun, But you left out the car you would go with. What car? and why that one out of the free 8 ones for a beginner?

I got out of "novice" because I read to much driver assist in "novice". So, I changed to "get real" and took most assist off in the settings Monday the 27th. But, Today the 28th the game put the traction control & ABS back on. It will not let me take them off now. How do I turn them back off in my settings. The only options I left on was "Race lines" and "ghost car". I can almost keep up with the ghost car. But when I think I got it, I spin. I saw that time you put up a Stowe. Someday I will catch you.

Thanks Frenchman
    NASH

4. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    He did but couldve been slightly clearer :D
    He suggests you use the formula raceroom junior for the following reasons:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah sorry lol, could have been more explicit: FRJ: Formula Raceroom Junior, great car. Thanks Nico.
    'geat real' is great, big boys use that, as well as wannabe big boys like you n me, we like it to be as in real life, if the car has abs or traction control irl it is developed and modeled to be used that way, so we go 'get real' n adapt.

gonna make some pict of where to find it that once at my pc, lying down with phone right now.

That's the spirit :)
    Welcome!
    That's just my human cover though ;)

6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    FRJ at Sepang South is maybe a good starting point yes. Trainer car on a track with not that much corners, but highly different approaches.

And if you want to go faster, have elevation changes, ready to learn a longer track with a faster car and some badass sound, try the Saleen S7R at Portimao.^^ This is more advanced and not easy for the start, but when you get into that, you will basically understand most of the GT-Cars and GT-Tracks, which are very common series.^^

7. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    Group C- teaches you that there are no monsters under your bed, they are in the garage :p

Seriously tho, try FRJ, for most hardcore driving, some extreme discipline and respect for the car learning :eek: unforgiving. BMW 235i for some racing line polishing and door to door racing experience.

Stowe is the best free track for beginners, suits well those beginner cars. Try Aquila, Nsu or 235i on it, super fun

About learning, i think this is most posted stuff ever :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    This is very sound/good advice. I completely agree and I have raced and taught in real life (including a formula dodge). I think the formula jr class has gotten special love from sector 3 (I think it's based off a real car that alex may have some experience with (maybe a Renault?)). Regardless, it's one of the most difficult cars to drive fast and due to this it's incredibly rare to find people in multiplayer who are willing to race (the only drawback).

At any rate I absolutely echo the thoughts - teaches you to understand braking and trail braking, on and off throttle steering inputs, weight change, and it's a momentum car due to it's lack of power - so you can't power out of mistakes.. Not to mention rev matching and using the transmission torque to help rotate the car out of a apex early. I rarely see anyone even in sims do trail braking correctly - however, the number 1 guy Jose Luis - does it so well I question his humanity (he might have made some deal with devils or angels).

The next car would be the aquila which is basically a over sized go-kart with a lot more power and traction control. It's a easy car to drive on the edge and allows for some amount of drift and curb attacks.

Sepang is good, but in my opinion a more advanced track. Start with stowe if you are not going to buy a track immediately.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  9. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Which is why you shouldn't leave the ghost-car on when practicing.
    I get the idea behind having something to aim for, but the problem is that whenever you start getting close to it, you start pushing just a little too hard, and make mistakes.
    Just focus on being smooth, and the pace will come all on its own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Now I'd be very interested to hear more about what's done wrong or how to get it right, may be some inboard with inputs of this Jose Luis unknown to me?

And you gave me the urge to go back try FRJ to learn H-shifting, I've started very recently to try with the 964, starting to get a feel for the heel toeing.

11. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Please, you are trying to communicate with a 72 year old. I do not do social texting stuff. I don't even have a cell phone. Just a desk top computer and a land line. Just had no interest in the stuff. I guess I could learn it. But why? Simple terms for RR & computer terms. I know some but not all. Thanks for people opinions. I have seen the skip barber & Driver61 videos. They are good.

Thanks all

Nash

12. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you got some good infos here, no need to understand it all, other guys will read this thread and might understand other pieces n find good info for them too.
    Convinced to try this frj on stowe?

13. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    ahah, now I feel young, born in 71, but i think i've seen some of those on french tv too at my very young age, always been attracted to cosmos n stuff.
    to 'get real' go in settings
    [​IMG]
    then Gameplay Settings and just... get real!
    [​IMG]
    cheers

15. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Jetsun, hey can you private message in these forums?

16. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
  17. Bob Pearson

Bob Pearson Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Another lockdown newbie here. Had my wheel just a week and trying to immerse myself with all this free time. My thanks to Nash and all the members who have contributed to answering his questions. I am piggybacking on all the good info being put out, & learning a lot as I go along lurking in the background. Thanks guys

• Like Like x 2
  18. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Jose is currently ranked number 1 driver and by a good deserved margin.
    http://game.raceroom.com/multiplayer-rating/25.html

I’d also add he’s a very fair driver and while behind or in front he abides by the rules. He’s just fast everywhere. He can trail brake through a turn to help slow and rotate the car into the apex and then get on throttle faster than I can. I’ve seen others do this better than I as well - but he’s rotating the car in a way I simply cannot.

Most people just mash the brake and go too deep into a turn and have crap exit speeds. This works for most ranked races because the tires won’t give up in 15-20 minutes.

Trail braking much like touching the brake to shift weight is a art form in real life - in sims I find it difficult because you simply can’t feel the g force change. You have to just do muscle memory.

• Like Like x 1
  19. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I`m going against the advice of just about everybody else (as usual), mainly because I`m fairly close to your age o_O.

I think you might find the FJR too much to start with.

Personally I`d go with the Aquila at Portimao, or even Raceroom`s own track.

The Aquila has no ABS, but it does have traction control. What I did is to start with it on the highest level and then turned it down as I became more comfortable. Or you could go the other way and start on it`s lowest setting and turn it up if you keep spinning out.

Also don`t forget you can test drive any car for nothing so spend sometime trying some of them out.
    I personally favour the slower cars that no-one else likes:
    The BMW 235i is virtually uncrashable, and the Audi TT`s are excellent.

Raceroom Raceway track has a couple of really nasty turns which can easily catch you out.
    When this game first came out, I drove the Hillclimb Judd almost exclusively, on the hillclimb tracks. In fact I spent so much time on that car it`s still listed as my favourite car, 7 years later :rolleyes:.
    If you do go with the FJR, my only advice is never, ever change down into first unless you`re almost stopped.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    thanks nickh158