Released Game Update - 20th May 2020

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, May 20, 2020.

1. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Update details:
    Download size = 544 MB
    Client version = 0.9.0.957
    Client BuildID = 5052621
    Dedi version = 62.0.1123
    Dedi BuildID = 5052571

Changelist:

• Fixed revlimiter issues introduced in a previous update

Content updates:
    • All cars - Reduced differences between car classes with regards to damage and detachable parts falling off the car.
    • DTM 2013 - 2016 - Added default gear ratios for Daytona
    • DTM 92 car class - Updated default gear ratios
    • Formula RaceRoom 3 - Improved AI behaviour
    • Formula RaceRoom Junior - Improved default car setup
    • Group 5 car class - Updated physics (leaderboards have been wiped!)
    • GTO car class - Improved AI behaviour, added default gear ratios for Daytona, fixed an error with AI’s handling of the Audi 90 gear ratios. Updated drivetrain oscillation effects, differential behaviour and baulktorque values.
    • Hillclimb Icons - Updated default gear ratios
    • Porsche 911 GT3 Cup - Endurance spec version now received a wider range of spring settings, dampers and ride height adjustments
    • Porsche 911 GT3 R (2019) - Fixed cockpit cameras that were off center
    • Porsche 962C - Retrieved dumpvalve sounds on gearshifts in cockpit cameras after popular request
    • Tatuus F4 - Fixed default final drive for Knutstorp that was way too long, improved AI behaviour
    • Touring Classics car class - Updated default gear ratios
    • Daytona Moto and Road Course - Limited AI tendency to sometimes hit the tyres in turn 1 of the first lap
    • Sepang North - Fixed a wrong cut track penalty triggered while entering pitlane

• Like x 6
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Love it! x 2
    • Wonderful x 1
  2. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Has anything been changed on the DTM '92 cars apart from default gear ratios? I'm getting a strange behaviour I never had before. When upshifting like I always did, the whole drivetrain starts to wobble massively. To prevent this from happening I need to upshift EXTREMELY careful and slow.

I tried the Mercedes and BMW so far, both show the same behaviour. I drove the Mercedes just a few days ago and this behaviour was not there back then. I'm using manual H-pattern, no autoclutch. I'd make a video if necessary, but I think this is easy to reproduce.

Edit: And yes, loading the default setup was the first thing I did, even bfore I started to drive.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  3. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    OK, I found the issue...

Autoclutch was actually enabled. Disabled it and everything is back to normal. But I certainly didn't do this. I have no idea when this got enabled. As I said I drove the Mercedes just a few days ago and I am 100% sure I haven't touched this setting since then.

I guess the autoclutch somehow interfered with my manual clutching, causing this behaviour.

4. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Group 5 up to date! Love it.
    Curious how they will be..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    they will mostly be in the barrier or sand trap......
    Every time I see a physics update now I get a sinking feeling. Please leave the GTR2 and NSUs alone as they are just fine the way they are and I am running out driveable cars now :(

The FRJ seems better under acceleration now but the brakes seem to want to pitch it into a spin now even with minimum pressure and max bias on the front whereas before it would lock up and torpedo on.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  6. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Tried the Capri...I'm no G5 expert but it felt very good....squirrley when the turbo kicks in ( easy on the gas....) but corners nicely....anyone else have a go? Looking forward to the Corvette next.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Out of interest, on what device are you driving right now?

8. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Looking forward to trying the group 5! Did the GTO classics get a physics update recently, or are they still on the to-do-list?

9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Keys. Haven´t tried with the analogue Logitech but that didn´t work with the other cars which got the same treatment.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    That might be the issue, tbh there are very little cars that would be realistically driveable with digital inputs. Never mentioning the older monsters, that are the Group 5.

It's just the nature of the genre that it is diffcult to enjoy without alteast a basic wheel. I've been there, trying to play Race07 on a keyboard... not fun ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. augustkekule

augustkekule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic work on the group 5 physics .Each car has its own distinct personality which has to be mastered. Especially the fact that traction can be lost even at very high speeds when driven without progressive use of the throttle is one of the best parts of this physics rework. It will take some serious effort and practice to get the best out of motorised coffins like the Greenwood Corvette for sure , but then again this is propably the best aspect of this update.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Steering is not the issue for me as I can control the cars just fine once they are up to speed, I guess what you mean are the pedals that go with the wheel to dose the throttle? The analogue joystick on my pad was of no help with the DTM92s and steering with a pad felt horrible too and I am past throwing more money at a casual hobby to experiment. It would be better spent going karting or on a track day.
    The annoying thing is that many of those cars were fine or at least manageable before they got changed, so I guess nobody does any testing with these devices anymore. Pity considering it is a PC game and keys are the standard input device.

A workaround is obviously to switch on the artificial driver aids, which are not allowed in a lot of multiplayer rooms but since hardly anyone plays Gr5 anyway, it´s not a big loss. Cars with factory TC or non RWD are also no issue as are the NSU and GTO (for now)

13. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Any game that aims at getting as close to reality as possible will be designed with steering wheel and pedals in mind as primary input, not pad or keyboard.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Even though it is possible to steer with a keyboard or even a mouse, this is a simulation. Raceroom is just meant to be played with at least a basic steering wheel and pedals. I'd even risk a statement that Alex job was to deliver a proper experience to people using these peripherials. On keys you just notice a different behaviour of a car that got updated, but with a FFB steering wheel you actually FEEL it. And believe me, it is a massive progress comparing to old physics that often felt just way too off.

15. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Throttle and brake input are very important in older cars, that have engines too powerfull for their older tyres and suspension, and have no electornics (and that is without the turbo kick). Analogue gamepad has too little of a travel, and is too soft to allow regulation of input efficiently.

The aim of the simulator should be simulation, not being accessible to devices not suitable for their controls. That's just the nature of the genre. And it is not exclusive to this genre, like you are expected to use a mouse to play a competive FPS or RTS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it´s the game versus simulator debate. I could counter argue that If the game is a simulator then where is the dynamic weather? Where is the overheating, the mechanical failures, brake wear, night racing? GTR2 had all of these in 2003. GP3 had them in 1998 and you could play those games just fine on digital input devices.

I understand that when passionate people invest in a game and buy a rig they want to simulate most accurate experience possible but there is a balance that can be made between hardcore and casual gamers to allow us all to play and have fun together. Otherwise the multiplayer grids are going to be really small and racing against AI is not as realistic as against real people.

Is becoming too elitist in an already crowded sector of a niche market, when the whole USP of RRE is free-to-play acccessibility a smart way forward?
    (Go play Mario Kart, placeholder)

17. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    That would be a pretty weak counter argument, as no-one would object if sector3 implement any of those features. ;) But as you know, sector3 is a small studio, and therefor it focuses on things that are in the end most important to a driving sim - that is the driving experience.

The balance in a casual experience are the assists that are available in most sims. Sadly, there is no easy way around it. If you want to simulate some of the most difficult to control racing cars that existed. These will never be controllable with keyboard. The argument that it worked on inferior physics engine is a non-argument in simulator.

Simracing is a hobby, and each hobby requires an investment. You, a gamer, with a gaming PC should be more than familiar with this concept. But the entry level to simracing is lower than ever, with competent wheels, like the T150 costing less than 150e. Not to mentioning the second hand market.

Seriously, stop. People has been trying to help you, trying to explain you in a calm and reasonable manner why it is diffcult to control cars in a binary manner. No-none insulted you, or pointed you to arcade games. So don't try to derail the discussion this way ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I guess it´s the problem with using the PC as a platform. On consoles everything is so standardised so it is much simpler to develop game for specific hardware and controllers but on PC there are so many basic hardware options that can affect the game performance and even compatibility before we even get to the controllers that it hard to optimise and make everyone happy.

The cost of a decent graphics cars is higher than that of a wheel, as you say, but I am just more comfortable using keys. Would I want to drive my real car using a keyboard - probably not!

In the end, computing is binary logic so there is definitely a way to have the digital devices manage the physics and the driver aids do help but are of no use if the multiplayer room has them turned off.

Perhaps a compromise could be found in the controller setup to give back a small element of these assists to digital devices when selected - a BOP of sorts?

19. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Not really, Logitech used to have much cheaper FFB wheels.

20. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    In testing today, have re-discovered 2 old favorites...the G5 Nissan Skyline and GTO Audi Quattro......a blast around Most. Skyline seems easier than the others to drive but still wicked and the Audi leaping out of corners. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1