[Physics Update] Group 5 - 20/05/2020

Discussion in 'Car Information and physics updates' started by Alex Hodgkinson, May 21, 2020.

1. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Even back when 934 was released I would say was easier to drive than those, at least some of them. Although it's easier to save them than it was Porsche

• Like Like x 1
  2. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    That calms something ..

3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Zakspeed Capri on Zolder...

Good lord.
    Love it.
    As long, as you can manage to be on throttle and hold a bit of that sweet boost pressure, the car is agile as f....forsaken alien technology. Go off throttle and you better have some effectiveness of your aero going on and know how to brake.

Shift timings could be a tiny bit more lenient, you basically have to lift totally and press the clutch totally to archieve a clean shift and it takes ages, especially in "transition to boost" situations. Basically a bit longer than real life, when looking at onboards, where shift times are also quite long but not quite that long.

After all, this is the long awaited Group 5 update, i was looking forward to. Genius.

For pad and key users (and even wheel and pedal application) a small sidenote for better on throttle control:
    Try the, i call it: "Senna throttle" ("upwards stuttering" throttle application), you can keep your boost kicking in more "incrementally" and you will archieve good amounts of turn in by that, without totally loosing it over elevations. You have to know the track and all its bumps pretty good, though.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    So I had my few laps (really just oulap + 2-3 timed laps) with the Group 5 cars that I own, that's the BWM 320, Zakspeed Capri, Corvette Greenwood on Slovakia Ring.

The BMW and Capr are surprisingly well behaved for such powerfull cars. I was especially surprised with cornering grip of the Capri. I feel these can be lapped quite consistently with little practice. Great cars to drive.

Now, the Corvette... this...thing... is, in the most positive way possible, totally stupid :D Why did they even bother with the transmission? Even in fourth gear it accelerates better than some of the other cars. I was looking into speedometer, thinking myself... this is pretty good acceleration. Then I realized the speedo is in MPH :D Reaching 280Kph on the Slovakia Rings main straight, and that's because of the limiter. Sure, the only thing it does worse than braking is turning, but I still love the power trip you get from accelerating this car :D

Overall, great job ;) I will be certainly expending my collection with some of the other Group 5 cars :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Turning is braking with the Greenwood :D
    Always go slightly sideways, to archieve somewhat of "turning-abilities" because 'murica! Who does need refined suspensions anyway... :D

EDIT:
    I just drive the Greenwood right now on Zolder...
    You just have to look wrong at the suspension and it breaks, the brakes are useless as usual, but it doesn't matter, you go sub 1:40 automatically just by thicc V8 torque and power :D
    When you are countering the "backflick" early enough on this car, it transforms to a formidable driftmachine, you feel like a virtual stuntman with it :D
    In short: Yes this car is totally stupid...lovely :D

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I had another try with the Capri. On Sepang GP with TC driver aid on I was in the 2.22s. The car was manageable but castrated and I think I hit 215kph on the straight.

Another thing I noticed was that after a 15 min race on that track, right rear tyre temp was still blue as per attached file.

I then did some hot laps with switched TC off and adapted my driving style to copy how the TC was behaving and equalled that time after 2 laps. Then I did some setup work and got down to 2:16 within ten laps, and a couple of non valid laps due to spins.

I´d be interested to know what times those of you who have less trouble managing the car can get down to. I reckon I could do a 2:15 if I could put my best sectors together but I am losing a lot of time just dealing with the throttle.

Attached Files:

7. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Increase the transmission length.
    You will not eliminate that with a on/off throttle and a turbo engine of this kind.
    Also your cold rear tyres make sense in this regard, because you have to baby them under throttle and not even start to slide properly, because the car is running too often too underpowered.
    Edit: Yeah right rear needs more love over 3 laps on Sepang. You have to really push this car, to get it on temps.
    I have recorded a video of an out-lap and a not-so-hot-lap, i will upload and post it.^^

8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Wheelspin at low speed and cornering at higher speeds should both bring tyre temps up though, especially after 15 minutes, multiple spins and burnouts to get back on track after those spins. I expect permanent cold rears (and overheating fronts) on a WTCR not this car. If you tell me this car is good for 2:00 laps on Sepang then I am obviously just cruising around 15-20 seconds slower but I think it is probably a 2:10 car tops. Round Spa it´s getting 2.32 on the leaderboard and I can do 2.37 after 2 laps so not too far off the pace to have the tyres stone cold.

Spa is definitely a better suited track to this type of car.

9. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Yeah my tyres were also pretty cold, i needed 3 laps, to keep the rights on temp with pushing. I think this car is worth a 2:10 on Sepang. Was driving a 2:13 right now, without practice, i will upload a vid. :)

EDIT: Try the Nordschleife...basically fits this car perfect, when you get the grips. Even better than Spa.^^

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    What rear temps are you getting? I am stuck at below 70 on the RR at Spa, Portimao and Sepang with the LR a little higher but not really in the window. The fronts are in the window no problem.

Using the last final drive and putting first gear up a couple of clicks helps control the car at lower speeds at the expense of initial acceleration. It´s definitely one of those cars where there is a lot of time to be found by getting to the limit and a lot more time to lose when stepping over it but not my cup of tea for races as the winner will be the one who keeps the car on the track consistently rather than through amazing overtaking or pit strategy. Seems the PI is similar to Silhouettes at least on lap times.

11. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    After 3 laps, each tyre has over 70° but i have just driven 5 laps, or so, on Sepang. The car performs better after 3 laps, i have the feeling.
    Rear right cold after 2 laps, start to show "green-ish" after about 3 laps in Ott3rHUD.
    Tyres are warming up very slow indeed, but i was pretty much underdriving it.^^
    It's all pedal work. Also you take away some agility by increasing 1st. You can use 2nd for the most corners, though.

2:13:385 on Sepang, no tryhard, 1st timed lap in the stint. The first 3 laps i was noticing the tyre temp to go green, but i spun and then started OBS and started a little recording. :D
    I recorded just an out- and timed lap.
    Timed lap starts around 2:34...

• Like Like x 1
  12. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    doesnt look so bad but im scared shitless driving it :D

• Like Like x 3
  13. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Heresy! You're driving without H-pattern and with auto clutch! :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Man, i didn't want to say it, because now we are looking elitist af!!! :D

But it's indeed a huge difference, driving this car with manual revmatching. It's so smooth on the video. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    To be fair, some people probably wouldn't even call it "racing" when I start to mess about with some of the H-pattern cars. But still, driving them with a stick is so much more fun that I just don't care... :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    would you donate if i set up crowdfunding campaign for h patern shifter? :D (i plan on some upgrades, hmm maybe after cockpit :rolleyes:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    :p
    A TH8A is relatively cheap to get and will probably survive very long, as long as you not screwing the clamp to often, because the thread is a bit on the "soft" side.
    Shifting and usability is pretty nice. It has H-Pattern, Seq. function and a Handbrake function. I'm just using the H-Shifter function and it makes a more sturdy impression, than the overpriced Fanatec SQ shifter....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Btw. @Vale
    It's by design, how the tyres operate.
    I experience exactly, what is written here, i overlooked it for some reason, reading it the first time.^^ (Just the rears are struggling with heating on the Capri more here, but like mentioned-> still underdriving)

19. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    i will see what i can do but this year i planned to buy new cockpit, gpu, vr monitor, load cell pedals, ps5- now you see why i may save on shifter :p:p but ill try to squeeze it somewhere there
    Pls dont crucify me for not using h shifter and at the same moment talk to the keyboard warrior :p:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Oh gosh...you really need that crowdfunding campaign, then :D

No crucifying going on, but be aware, when shifting the Greenwood Heel&Toe, that you will be even more scared to push it full throttle. After being spoiled with the Capri, using the Corvette, your brake points literally apply a mile sooner, suddenly :D