GetReal? Really?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sergeich, May 16, 2020.

1. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Why "GetReal" control option allow automatic gearbox with autoclutch?
    And if RR allows automatic gearbox for cars with manual gearbox - why it dont allow manual gearboxes for GT cars, for example?

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Because there are a lot of pedals on the market that don't have a clutch pedal

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    41oe6z.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    So this is not GetReal. This is suitable for Amateur mode.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    So go play on servers which force people to use manual transmission, and leave those who don't want or can't afford unnecessary peripherals to get on and enjoy the game instead of worrying about stupid semantics.

Have a nice day.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Only by your definition..amateur mode allows things like abs and tc on all cars; get real only allows it on cars that actually have it. I think there are a couple if other things too but their definition is reasonable for a game!

If you really want “getreal” go spend a few hundred grand and buy a real car and race

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Be carefully! :) Your chair will burn :):):)

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  8. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Guys, you all talk about automatic clutch, but don't you think that "why auto gearbox is allowed in Get Real?" is a legitimate question?

Personally, I greatly appreciate the choice the devs made here since I prefer auto. But I wouldn't mind to hear their reasoning. Was it simply to make the game more accesible for wider audience? Or were there other reasons too?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Because, as already mentioned, there are many peripherals that make it (nearly) impossible to drive with an all-manual setup.

Novice, Amateur and Get Real should not be viewed as difficulty levels but as degrees of driver assistance. The "higher" you go, the less assistance in terms of vehicle control (i.e. traction control, ABS, stability and countersteer assistance) is allowed.
    From our point of view an automatic transmission does not fall in that category of assistance systems that have an impact on the car's driving characteristics and hence we don't see a problem in allowing automatic transmission in Get Real.

Always bear in mind that setting the transmission to automatic does not replace the manual gearbox with a smooth automatic box, the gearchanges are still just as unsettling (in some cases even violent) for the car. They're just performed for you, so in some way you could argue that using automatic transmission is more of a disadvantage cause you never have complete control over what your gearbox does.

You actually could use your manual shifter in sequential cars at some point in the past but that created all sorts of exploitation issues. Most importantly this created the possibility to skip gears (go directly from 5th to 2nd f.e.), which I think you agree would be completely unrealistic with a sequential gearbox. Another side-effect was an abuse of engine braking.

Here's a little mind bender: What about cars like the VW ID.R that only have one gear or are fitted with an automatic transmission in real life? Wouldn't we have to restrict them from Get Real altogether? ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    For absolute one lap speed I don´t think any driving aid including ideal line or auto box will be an advantage but over a race and for average players ike myself it can make driving more comfortable, ABS will stop flat spots, TC will redce tyre wear and spin outs so there is a point where it evens up stint speed with one lap pace, unless you are racing against aliens who are all manual and never make mistakes.

I´d like to see driver aid ABS and TC both scaleable with 6 or 7 steps like factory TC is right now even with a weight ballast penalty if necessary. as the full feature is too intrusive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Autoclutch & Sequental & AutoGearbox - with G5 cars - GetReal? Agree, there are many people without clutch pedal and shifter - this should be named Amateur.

Drive in fully manual mode - not easy, drive with all automatic - can every novice. But at competition both have same rights, both are "GetReal". This is not fair.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
  12. Flybarless

Flybarless Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The server determines which driving aids are active. Play on servers with appropriate settings or open one yourself. Then it's alright. And fair for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    @ sergeich : don't take it so seriously, it's just a game - sim - whatever you want to call it

I'm usually a purist but use H-shifter + auto clutch and not ashamed to say it (IMO there's something wrong with the manual shifting implementation in RRE as the cars are damaged after a few kms when using manual clutch)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    didnt saw this problem. and with last update manual clutch become more usable

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I always drive manual clutch H-shifter, never had any gearbox damage, except when I screw up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    My complaint is in relation to the gear shifting with older sequential and manual cars where the clutch use is a must but sadly, Heel n Toe technique is no longer necessary. This was already explained in one of the general discussion posts.

If you are not a fan of using clutch and heel n toe, then you won't care about what I just said :D

17. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I don't get damage either if i shift like a grand father :D The problem is we can't shift fast enough, the game is artificially punishing that ... it's something i don't understand since manual H shifting is already some sort of punishment compared to those who use paddles on older cars.

18. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I am not a grandfather...yet.

But I think you overestimate how fast it is possible to shift with a manual gearbox. The fastest way is to upshift by rev-matching without clutch, and heel-and-toeing when downshifting.

Either way I think it will be a handicap compared to autoclutch and paddles - modern racecars have swapped to this mechanism for a good reason.

19. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Bear in mind that there's a delay on each shift when using automatic clutch in h-pattern cars, it's not instant. Plus you can do certain techniques (skipping gears, coasting) which people who have to use auto clutch can't perform.

That being said, I agree that you should be able to shift very swiftly with an h-pattern box. It's not like they handled the cars with kid gloves back in the day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  20. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Believe me, you can upshift as fast as you are physically able to, in a sports cars for example and it's even more true for a race car as Christian's video perfectly illustrates.

Yes indeed, and it's perfectly normal since auto clutch completely eliminates the inherent difficulty of H shifting. I almost never drive older cars anymore in RRE because of that... manual clutch = damage, auto clutch = boring

Great video btw, if only we could do that in RRE :hearteyes: