AI pit timings/logic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Badgerous, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I just had a belter of a 12 lap GT3 race at Spa mildly spoiled by the last bloody corner.

I had tyre wear set to x4 which meant a pit stop was required at roughly the half way point, and sure enough, at the end of lap 6 most of the field piled into the pit lane - Myself included, which was an awesomely immersive thing in it's own right..

On lap 12 my own tyres had seen better days again, which made the last lap somewhat interesting as I battled to keep my spot at position 9 of 20. Then at the exit of the final chicane on the last effin' corner, ~4 cars ahead of me decide to pit again, which gave me a p5 finish and a rather empty feeling from an otherwise thoroughly engrossing race. :(

I repeated a similar race with 2016 DTMs at Zandvoort, but thankfully the same didn't occur.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    For me it doesn't look like they have any logic behind pit stops other than pitting in when they are low on fuel or tires. Also their pit stop times aren't even close to mine.

Same experience for me. Finishing much higher than my performance deserves simply because AI doesn't know how/when to pit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    It's an old bug...

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/ai-pitting-on-the-last-lap.7728/#post-126394

4. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I would avoid high tire wear multipliers and define a mandatory pit stop instead.

5. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Same thing happens even without multipliers
    It’s frustrating

I force a pit stop and set the race length to 1.5 tyres worth so that the cars don’t need to do the second stop
    BUT then you can have the situation where some will change 4 tyres and others change only 2

I wish you could just set the race up that all pit once and change 4 tyres!

6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I agree its pretty terrible. I've just been turning off tyres and fuel but obviously that's not very realistic. I've tried lots of combinations and none seem to work consistently.

I'll put a request in for it to be looked at.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    They have some logic, i.e in my last race I raced the '95 c-klasse dtm and after first few laps it was obvious the tyres would last around 90% of the race. To my surprise the AI pitted in the middle of the race. So this was all fine.

The problem was fuel, the race was achievable on one tank (but with little margin), obviously the AI thought it will not be possible on single tank, took less fuel and refueled during the pit stop, making their stop unnecessary long. This might be because of the safety margin AI likes to run, or different AI fuel consumption.

The sad thing is, even with these issues R3E AI is still the best when it comes to race strategy. They atleast try to pick the appropriate tyre compound, and calculate their fuel. RF2 AI has no problem pitting last lap and do a full tank + tyre changes pit stop, and runing the hardest tyre set in qualification...

I think some of these issues could be solved by allowing the player to set basic rules for pit stops.. i.e. no refueling, must change all tyres..etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    That's called ADAC GT Masters preset ;) No refueling or tyre change. If you wanna change tyres, thats plus 10 sec mandatory pitstop. But it would be nicer if you don't need mandatory stops, especially when you do championships on very different tracks e.g. low tyre degradation Monza and then tyre eaters Zandvoort and Oschersleben or on short and long Tracks (Stowe-Nordschleife)
    Greetings

9. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Last race i did with fuel and tyres on was a dtm16. Needed half a tank of fuel for the race and my tyres were at 70% at the end. The AI decided to pit after 2/3 of the race..... absolutely pointless.