Question Pedal Settings

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by dge9876, Jun 16, 2020.

1. dge9876

dge9876 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All a newbie here to RRE specifically and sim racing generally so if this is an obvious/ stupid/ previously answered question please be nice;)
    I am struggling with throttle settings. Basically I want to slow down the throttle so it doesn't get to full throttle so quickly as I am struggling to control the inputs. In game settings seem not to be that effective? Moving throttle sensitivity and throttle return around seems to make little difference. What typical settings do people use with Fanatec V2 pedals??
    Secondly due to above I tried to set up in DiView - I can get what looks sensible to me by moving saturation to 80% but although I see a save icon I can't work out how to get it highlighted so I can save the settings? What am I doing wrong? How can I save the settings?
    Finally, assuming someone explains how I can get settings sorted in DiView do I need to do anything in RRE or does DIview automatically overrride these? Thanks all!!

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Sensitivity affects the curve, 50% is linear you would want it at 0% to give the slowest application but even then it's what you do with your foot that makes the biggest difference. Practice your throttle control.

Return does nothing for pedals, that is purely for gamepads

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Agree. The only pedal adjustment I do is to adjust the biting point for the clutch pedal. Other than that, everything is at 50% without dead zones. Very predictable.

4. dge9876

dge9876 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys for that, I get the throttle control practice ;) but the issue is the V2 pedals have to my mind a very soft throttle spring - I have uprated the spring but personally I still feel it is too soft compared to track cars I have driven in the distant past hence why I was wanting to build in some saturation/ deadzones.
    Re Diview I have still been trying to work it out and have seen an article where changes are made within Notepad but I didn't understand how you link Notepad to Diview to RRE. I am not a techie so I am probably being dense but any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

5. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    No idea about diview. I don't use it. You can easily do deadzones in the advanced settings within the control menu.

I don't really understand what it is you want to do though, you want your throttle to not come in at the start of the pedal travel?

6. dge9876

dge9876 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I don't know myself is the problem
    I am struggling to modulate the throttle eg the McLaren I find almost undriveable. With a 20% saturation in diview the initial pedal inputs are reduced in effect but after halfway they increase above linear. I think that would work better for me asI can modulate it early on more easily and then floor it.

7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Ok so you should be able to use the sensitivity setting in game to do the same (I do it for my load cell brake so I have more fine control on light braking). Set the sensitivity for the throttle pedal at below 50. The lower you go the flatter the initial curve.

Also. If you are trying to drive the McLaren with Traction control off and then spinning out then don't. GT3 cars are designed with TC and it should be used. It's a myth that good drivers don't use TC.

8. dge9876

dge9876 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great stuff - I always drive standard Get Real settings in every car so I had TC on the McLaren and I had already tried reducing the throttle sensitivity but clearly not by enough - need to play around with it a bit more to find the sweetspot but the difference when I have whacked it down to 25% is night and day.... I spin out only every other lap now;)
    The Fanatecs have a load cell as well altho not very strong so what do you adjust with your brake? Do you mean you reduce sensitivity setting below 50% or do you use a dead zone or both?
    Thanks so much for your assistance - half the battle here for a newbie especially a middle aged one like me who is not computer savvy is I think to get the settings sorted once and for all...

9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    My brake has a very soft initial travel which then gets very hard. I use a deadzone to account for the soft travel so my brakes only come on when I feel the "pads touch" if that makes sense. I feel like this is the most realistic for my setup.

10. dge9876

dge9876 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Interesting..... that is how I prefer it - my loadcell is a bit light but I will give it a try and play around with it for a while. Thanks again for all the advice. Cheers

11. Bavarian_Firebird

Bavarian_Firebird Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hi there, I use DiView quite often as initial calibration. But this also doesnt slow down the pedals. But here is how it goes:
    If you open up DiView only select the imput windows for your pedals. Should be 2-3 (3 if you have a clutch). Press the accelerator pedal and click on the corresponding DiView imput window. Now select Show Raw Data from the View Menu. The red numbers are important now. Release the pedal and remove your feet from the pedal. Write down the value - 10 to 15 (i try to get a nice number around the value) For example if your Raw value is 855 then i would choose 840. That means you generate a dead zone so to speak. The pedal will react a little bit later than it could. So now press the pedal to 100% and write down the max value - 10 to 15. That means 100% will be reached before you ruin your pedal :). For Example: Raw value is 2166 I would go for 2150. Now right click on the pedals value window and choose calibrate. Min and max is known. For Mid use (Min+Max)/2. Example 840+2150 = 2990 divided by 2 = 1495. that generates a linear acceleration.
    If you have a brake pedal that requires a lot of force subtract a little bit more from the max value. Let you brake with less force and that helps the lifespan of your pedal...and your foot maybe.

12. dge9876

dge9876 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks so much - very interesting!

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    All you are doing here is setting deadzones and selecting the midpoint for the curve. Exactly the same can be done with the in-game deadzone and sensitivity settings. Why overcomplicate matters?

14. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I have the Pedals as well and calibrate it like you do. But what is strange, when driving a GT3 car for instance, I have the feeling the brake pedal is much more sensitive to what I see in DiView, a slight touch on the pedal while driving and the pedal is at around 50%. All other values are on default in raceroom for the pedals. I don't know if its just feeling or true.

15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    As long as your brake sensitivity in game is 50 then what you see in diview is what you get when driving.

16. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    So this is what I think I should adjust. As I want the brakes to be applied in-game lower than my foot's press position (ie. actual foot press is 50%, applied in-game would be around 30-35%). At first I thought it was the 'Brake Release Sensitivity', w/c doesn't seem to work for this objective.

17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Release rate is just for gamepads. To achieve what you want you should lower the brake sensitivity setting. This will introduce a curve so the brakes apply less at the beginning but will ramp up quickly at the end.

• Like Like x 1