Leaderboard versus competition

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by morsify, Jun 29, 2020.

1. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure this is the right place to post, but it is about car characteristics I suppose, so...

I have been driving the Mercedes C Class DTM 2005 in the fixed setup competition.
    I then decided to go to single player leaderboard and setup the same car in the same way, so that I could practice and set a leaderboard time at the same time.

As it's fixed setup, to keep things the same, I touched nothing except the brake balance and brake strength.

Is it safe to assume that the cars are then exactly the same, or are other things changed for the fixed setup competitions? The reason I ask is that I seem to be able to go faster in the single player leaderboard session than I do in the competition. It may not be a massive amount, that can obviously depend on my own consistency; but as I switch between the two modes, I consistently feel able to reach into the 1:21,s in single player, but have to work hard to get in the 1:22's in competition mode.

Is anyone able to confirm if the cars are setup the same, or are there other factors such as fuel weight/temperature that might make the conditions consistently different?

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Try setting up single player with no fuel consumption or tyre wear and see what happens.

3. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    In that case tire temperatures wont be optimal as would be the case on leaderboards and competitions so in theory that should feel slightly different

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    In theory then he should be slower not quicker in single player. It´s a game, so I would not be surprised if there are some bugs or exploits that affect different modes.

5. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    In a single player practice session (or race or quali) without fuel usage and tire wear he should indeed theoretically be slower than on competitions (and he might be, we have no info on that).
    On leaderboards i would expect him to be just as fast as on the competitions but for one reason or another that doesnt seem to be the case for him

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    He said he was faster in single player mode.

7. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    It may help if the above poster simply reads the setup values for both channels and compares them.

8. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    He said he was faster in the leaderboard mode (which he calls single player leaderboard) than in the competition. Nothing about a simple practice (quali, race) session in single player

9. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I'm faster in single player leaderboard (as opposed to single player practice) than in the competition. I have compared the setups and they are identical, except in the competition, the differential setting is not visible. I can only assume that is also set at default.

I'd like to say it could be my imagination, but honestly it really feels 'lighter' as soon as I start driving in SP leaderboard.

It just feels more 'nimble' in single player leaderboard, maybe as if the fuel weight is much lower. It seems like there is no way of knowing this unless a dev could confirm ( @Alex Hodgkinson could you shed any light on this? ) , but I'd be interested if anyone else tried it and felt the same difference.

Anyway, I suppose it doesn't really matter, practice is practice, but it just feels weird that I can't step across to the competition and feel the same and replicate the lap times.

10. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    The differential can make a difference to the feel of a car, less Vorspannung (I hope this correctly translates to Pre-Load- I don´t now the exact english term) means the the car turns easier when off-throttling in corner, more tension can make it accelerate better out of corners.