News Summer 2020 Dev notes

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Aug 11, 2020.

1. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    I usually start with a progress update on all the things mentioned in the previous dev notes, but as it's been so long since the last ones, it doesn't really make much sense. Everything in those old notes has been shipped... I suppose that rather than re-hashing what we've done and delivered, you probably want to read about what comes next and what we've been working on recently and will work on in the coming weeks and months.

Before I do that, I’d like to start with two topics that I believe deserve a few words:

What was up with all those recent patches and maintenance periods?

Regarding the high frequency and durations of maintenance and small patches with seemingly little content or features, it hasn’t escaped your attention that with the lack of real racing happening in this first half of the 2020 season, a lot of requests from partners and opportunities arose to organize and deliver virtual racing events. The size of the team here at Sector3 doesn’t allow us to simultaneously work on multiple fronts and we therefore have had to delay certain content releases and shift our priorities in order to ensure delivery of those partnership deals. All in all we had to take the servers down more often than normal in order to push content on time for those many events. However with real racing resuming, the situation is slowly going back to normal.

Cheating in RaceRoom?

RaceRoom has anti cheat measures, despite what you may hear from trolls out there. It is an always-online service and therefore if you do cheat, chances are high that you’ll get caught and we will lock your account. Forever. We don't really joke around with that. If you get caught, then that’s it.

Yes, we do have advanced anti-cheat measures and yes, accounts are getting banned regularly.

Since RaceRoom is free to play, It’s usually on free content lobbies and free competitions that you’ll find cheaters before they get detected and banned. People with purchases don’t really tend to cheat at all due to the fear of losing their account for good.

So yes, it is possible to cheat in any game and no, games having a fancy 3rd party anti-cheat system is not a guarantee of a cheat-free experience. It all depends on the tools available to detect but most importantly to ban and keep the cheaters away, and for that, you can count on RaceRoom.

The 11th August 2020 Update

Today we are pushing a RaceRoom update (The full changelog can be found here.)
    The update has a heavy focus on AI improvements but you will also find very welcome updates to some tracks, further improving their accuracy, as well as a brand new layout for the freshly renamed DEKRA Lausitzring.

Oh and by the way, we’re also using this update to prepare RaceRoom for an upcoming new track release.

[​IMG]

A Ranked Multiplayer tab has been added on your player profile page. It centralizes all your ranked racing history and progression graphs. You can click a data point or a race in the list to view the full results of that particular event.

This is a first iteration and we will definitely keep improving it from your feedback.

[​IMG]

Related to Ranked Multiplayer, the dedicated server now features a Scheduling assistant. The feature was developed as part of our development roadmap towards fully automated multiplayer racing series with matchmaking, but we’re making it public for all the league administrators out there who will surely find the feature useful to plan their dedicated server spawns ahead of time.

[​IMG]

The next steps

While the recent public updates may appear slim in features, we’re not slowing down behind the curtains.

We’re almost ready to deliver some pretty solid sound improvements. The update will make the cockpit atmosphere feel so alive, you’ll wonder how you could ever like it before. Word from the beta testers was they can hardly force themselves to drive with the old sounds now that they have had a taste of what’s to come. Expect those improvements to ship with our next update, along with the Audi and BMW DTM 2020 cars. In the meantime, I’ll try and make some preview videos.

Our currently active tasks for the Sector3 programmers are:
    • Move the remaining Scaleform menus to web (so far car setup and replay menus are done, and the most complex of all is in progress: the options menu). This is part of the steps towards a more modern UI that will allow faster iterations and development of features such as signing up to ranked multiplayer races, etc.
    • Gameplay modifications to Push to Pass and DRS in preparation for DTM 2020 cars. As you know we currently have a unique button mapping for both DRS and PtP but the DTM 2020 cars have both systems. They also come with specific regulations such as one unique PtP activation per lap or DRS allowed in qualifying that we need to replicate.

Then we do have more long term tasks that have been started, but here we venture into features that I can’t currently put a binding ETA on, as we’re on and off those tasks at the moment. We will try and finish some for our December 2020 update. Those end of the year updates are traditionally more feature oriented, since the holiday break also means a break in esports competitions and community league racing and we are then free to make deeper changes to how the game behaves.

• Engine mapping - Ability to prioritize power over fuel efficiency from the cockpit.
    • Manual inlaps - AI no longer taking control of your car at the end of a race. We currently have this working in single player but still needs work for multiplayer.
    • Manual rolling starts / formation laps - Still needs a lot of work as we only have a prototype of it right now for single player mode only.
    • Investigation of driver swap feature - So far it does look like a difficult one for sure and one that will require network code improvements.
    • AI’s in Multiplayer - We have made some good progress on this but currently still have to add quite a lot of data communications regarding non player cars. This feature will probably have to be on hold as well pending network code improvements.

There are also many things that don’t make it into public changelogs but still occupy us. Things like allowing our servers to force showing certain packs of objects on the track for partners and sponsor logos, or spending some time with our colleagues over at SimBin UK to answer some questions and assist on physics and sounds.

On the content front, we are obviously focused on DTM 2020 cars at the moment and the liveries are being painted. It should only be a handful of weeks before they are released. We also have physics improvements in the works as well as brands new content that is better announced at a later date.

Hopefully we get to show you previews of what we're working on a regular basis in the future. Stay tuned for that!

• Like x 39
    • Wonderful x 10
    • Love it! x 5
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
  2. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Really appreciate, that it seems that you hear the voices of us. In and out lap where suggested by some people I think (me definitely included) The thing with the sounds sounds good for me. Improvement on the ranked thing is cool, too.

Probably I will come back to Raceroom at any time. It where 5 good years with Raceroom now for me, but this direction information come to late (for me)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  3. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Don't play with our feelings J-F.

Sorry, it was to good to not use trhis one ;):p

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    o_O

5. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Really intrigued about the new sounds.. RRE isn't exactly lacking in that department as things currently are.

..Manual inlaps. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, but i try to be realitic
    You wrote: or spending some time with our colleagues over at SimBin UK to answer some questions and assist on physics and sounds.
    Seen the reactions on facebook (simbim UK) i'm not sure what to think about this note
    :):confused::cool:
    It's not meant to be negative

Thanks for al the good working

7. AleISBACK

AleISBACK New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Driver swap, will be awesome!
    Thanks for the hard work you make every day

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  8. TheOutdriver97

TheOutdriver97 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! Really liked the dev notes last year so this thread is appreciated to see what is in the works. I like the direction the game is going in with some good content and features.

I know it's not realistic to expect anything soon as entries don't close until end of this week but is WTCR 2020 still part of the plan for a later date? I enjoyed the eSports series with the new cars and am desperate to get them in store when any other entries are in.

• Like Like x 2
  9. GJDriessen

GJDriessen Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Great update (I like the attention to the AI). Curious to know more about the new track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. carlos de hoz

carlos de hoz Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    It's all good news, I think it's great manual start, training lap and manual end of race, regarding the sounds they are great if it is true that the "competition" has improved a lot, and raceroom has always stood out above the others so a step more, is a good idea. about AI in multiplayer not quite like but to taste colors

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    These patchnotes seem to include everything I ever wished for:
    • We don't need to sherlock around that the new track is definetely Aragon. Pictures show that and WTCR will race there, it all comes together.
    • Sound improvements: Never really needed, but as some sims have caught up quite a bit with R3E, it's a really nice sign of Raceroom continuing to improve their strenghts.
    • Track updates: I have to check Lausi and Hoggene in game before I can say it, but I am sure they'll look even better and fresh. Hockenheim always had a bit of Race07 vibes to me, good to see it and Lausitzring get updates (especially with the new pit entry that was always on my wishlist)
    • Engine mapping is something everyone asks for but I never really understood why. But if it comes it'll make the game even more realistic.
    • Manual in and outlap-THE point of my list since 2016. This is gonna be awesome if you really can make it work :D
    • DTM 2020: So many new rules, cars, physics etc. that are included irl. And tbh, I never saw a DTM comeback to be realistic, until the esports events. There is much to do to bring the sim up to DTM level again, but it sure will work out
    I am very happy to finally see the confirmation that R3E will have an even brighter future and am already hyped for more!
    Greetings

• Like Like x 5
  12. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    No it's simply a matter of decency and goodwill J-F :)....but the world is full of ppl with a lot of defecies and as I joined an FPS community cause after years I felt re-drawn to a new FPS title can tell you that at those genres you finda a lot more ppl who are much more (outright) toxic in many ways than around here rsp. at simracing communities in general ;)

13. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    btw am I the only one that is a bit worried that a WTCR season 2020 is not on the list?
    Greetings

14. MAD MICK

MAD MICK Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Delighted to hear that work is going into ai in multiplayer! I like to race with 2 friends and then fill the grid with ai so i look forward to this feature as it works great in rfactor 2 but is a pain setting it up! Manual inlap is great too as my motion rig goes mental after i cross the finish line and i can't reach the escape button in time :D Keep up the good work

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know if the new TC Class HYUNDAI I30 N TCR (now in the store) is identical to the WTCR19 HYUNDAI I30 N TCR?

Is it just a different set of 6 liveries to distinguish it from the WTCR 19 season liveries?

It's being sold as a different car - I already own the WTCR19 HYUNDAI I30 N TCR and I'm being asked full price on the car.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  16. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    its the same

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Well, that is some hard work done by R3E team that won't disappoint. Your support is greatly appreciated.

In addition to the sound stuff, I am a big fan of your current sounds and trust that you guys can make it better and better every time. The only thing I am concerned about is the engine/ transmission whine sound. I actually like it very much and would be very much appreciated to stay in the game with adjustable independent volume control. Personally I like it LOUD. :D

18. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Technically, the WTCR 2020 cars are already behind us in a way. We had virtual ones for the championship series of the real WTCR drivers a few weeks ago. Now we're just waiting for the real cars to show up on track and a final entry list. We'll correct the liveries and add any missing one in due time. Right now it's definitely not something we could start on.

• Like Like x 7
  19. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    How about VW IDR? Will the car be released anytime soon or the car is cancelled at this stage?

Will the Lada TCR be released for purchase too? I really like that car as it felt fresh to drive a brand that don't appear elsewhere.

Thank you for the dev notes, really appreciate that.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  20. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
    We have something special planned with the car very soon. Stay tuned ;)

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1