VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I'm using the 64bit stand-alone DLL, not the system-wide install. (SteamVR kept overriding OpenComposite regardless of my settings, so the DLL method is better for me.) You can download it here, just scroll down to the "Per-game Installation" section.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rafnix

rafnix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Mate.
    That's the same I got already and never got it to work.

3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    When was the last time you tried it? It didn't used to work, which is why Iron Wolf made his own version specifically for rF2 and R3E. Iron Wolf's version is the one available in the OP of this thread. But it seems the newest version of OC does work now, which I was surprised about myself.

4. rafnix

rafnix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yep, downloaded that version from You and tried all ways but neither one worked like Iron Wolf's original version

5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    What version of Windows are you using? I had the same issue and eventually found out that OpenComposite will not work at all on Win7, which I had at the time. Now I'm on Win10 and both work fine.

6. rafnix

rafnix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    W10 64 here.
    We had the discussion some weeks ago and there are some ppl that won't get it to work. Guess we got to live with it. As I said earlier it worked right away in rF2.

7. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Ok, only trying to help. As I said above, I don't monitor this thread and do not know what has or has not been discussed, or by who.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Adi291994

Adi291994 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys,

as You can guess, I have an issue with VR in RaceRoom. I read the topic here and see that many people have this performance issue. My game is not running smoothly and have problems with the frames, especially when I want to race. Other games are running very good without any issues and with 90FPS. (iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally)

Can somebody help me, how to improve the VR performance in R3E? I see that something changed during the time and the programms You used, are not working everytime now.

I would really appreciate any help of You guys!

And I have no idea how to boost my hardware. I have never done it.

My PC specs:

- Oculus Rift
    - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 3.60GHz / 4.20GHz
    - MSI Radeon RX 5700 MECH - 8 GB
    - 16 GB RAM
    - SSD

9. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Have you seen the presentation of the new NVidia 3000 serie?
    A GTX 3080 will do the job. What a beast of a card.

10. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    @Adi291994
    You have a similar system as mine so this should help you with your fps problems.

Keep in mind: Raceroom still runs in DX9 which is not as good in VR performance as DX11 (all the other sims run DX11). So you’ll never have the same performance in Raceroom as in the other sims, assumed you use the same settings. That’s a bummer but that’s how it is right now.

First of all, download OpenComposite (see first post) and run the game with this exe.
    Then in your graphic settings use low or medium settings most of the time, especially shadows are a fps killer, keep them off or very low.

11. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    It should help performance in ACC and AMS2, but my CPU is the limiting factor in RR and rF2 already and I only have a 2070 super.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  12. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah RRE is more a CPU game and not a GPU game. My CPU does a nice job with RRE.

13. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but in fact you can give more supersampling with a good graphics card and other games use those power.
    Euro Truck Simulator has switched to DX11 and since that I'm more often in a GPU Limit, so I'm really hoping for an advantage.
    In VR you need a strong CPU AND a strong GPU I think.

14. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I've never done any profiling, but I've got things dialed in for a solid 90fps with an i7 9700 and RTX2070.. It's so finely tuned though, that the slightest tweak will bump me down to 45; 1 extra car, changing the ToD away from noon, any gfx tweaks will all see it drop.

I cross my fingers and hope for the best that any update hasn't increased CPU load now.

Those new 30XX cards look flippin' amazing. I don't think they're of any use here (yet?), but I'm very interested to see if they can push ACC properly in VR.

15. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    After all it boggles my mind why Raceroom is the last of the racing sims out there which hasn’t made the jump to DX11…but who am I telling this? :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    with every generation they are telling us, it's a beast of a card :) I hear this since 20 years

17. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yes but this is a different story. We will see.. :D

18. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom VR wont benefit from it :( the CPU consumption is the c.. bl...

19. Jacob Marshall

Jacob Marshall Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I think one thing that would help dialing in settings for VR would be a tag on each setting, with each setting letting you know if it impacts the CPU or the GPU; this stuff becomes hard to track.

Until yesterday I'd been running SteamSS at100% until I saw FormelLMS's post; from that post the take away for me was that SS doesn't impact CPU performance, so I increased it to 190%.

Game looks much better now, and I'm sure there's more I can dial in but, as I'm not clear on what hits the GPU/CPU I'll make do*.

*Having just pissed around with ffb settings since Dec to find something that works, I'm not going to do the same with gfx settings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    right, VR is still at the beginning in every game, it might take a couple of years