Best AI of them all!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vvPULSEvv, Aug 24, 2020.

1. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    @Christian G
    I never thought of it like that but I can see the dilemma; even if I wish it wasn't so!

@Skidmark
    What I'm about to suggest isn't a solution but it's a compromise that I use for some good racing against the AAI and with a chance to win!

I still race with the AAI BUT I don't bother qualifying and just set my starting position at between 6th & 10th place; depending on how much of a challenge I want to get first place.

I think this works because of the AAI's variation between qualifying strength and race pace

Typically when qualifying against the AAI I qualify in the middle 1/4ers of the pack (eg if I there are 32 cars on track; I qualify between 8th & 24th). My qualifying position greatly varies between tracks because it feels like the qualifying strength of the AI varies between tracks. Chang is a good example where the AI qualify strong so I always qualify near the back but pretty quickly make my way up the field during the race.

The actual race pace of the AAI however seems to be more consistent over the tracks with the front runners race pace always within touching distance of my own. However, dependant on the length of the race, it can be almost impossible to win if you start too far back in the pack because fighting for a position slows you down too much to catch first place.

So for me when racing AAI, starting between 6th-10th place gives me a good chance of placing in the top 3 at the end.
    I just miss the qualifying experience and challenge but dang the racing is good!

2. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Christian I really appreciate the detailed response. I realise these things are a lot more complicated under the hood but as Matt says

3. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    In 60 Minute races the AI pit-stop unnecessarily (GT3, Porsche GT3 Cup Endurance) - I think strategy wise there is room for improvement.

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Have you experienced this recently, after the August 11 update?
    Think Alex eventually found that it was the fuel estimates that caused this problem and it should happen a lot less with those being corrected.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    No not recently. I will check if this still happens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Do you think this is true for AI-to-AI behaviour in single seater classes, as well as AI-to-Player?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    No disrespect but I've seen some awful moves by ai on ai in terms of pure clumsiness. Think what makes it worse it's not bodywork on bodywork contact most of the times it's wheel on wheel which causes more issues. I've also seen som wheel rack disappear into another wheels rack. Which looks weird. Bit this happened in ams1 so maybe engine related.

I think the ai generally have an issue of being aware of what's in Thier rear quarter. Some times it comes across as a door well shut. But others time in a straight or such it's gets clumsy. As I said still the best ai I'm only commenting to help not to moan.

Thanks Alex

8. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    That's very useful, thank you!

9. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    @Alex Hodgkinson I have something, that may have to be fixed.

Today i drove TCR (WTC19 + 18 Peugeot + TCR Cup) on Aragon and wondered why the AI always slows down in Turn 4 (that lefthander into another lefthander) like there is a yewllow flag, but there was none. Than in the last lap i spotted an Audi parked in the rescuebox on the track, slightly behind the wall with the hood, rest was on gravel. Must be from an AI crash in the first lap.
    So there was no yellow but the AI shortly slowed down, bc a car was still on track, but not moving.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Mike Klimek

Mike Klimek Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Seeing this thread alone made me register for the forums. I have to add my two cents and say that I absolutely love this game, the AI, and the developers commitment to improving it. As a single player, the experience cannot be beat. I want to love ACC, but the AI will never overtake you, even when it has the opportunity. I very much like rfactor 2 but I'm not fond of the exercise of having to find the best AI for any give car/track combo.

This sim? The best one going IMHO.

• Like Like x 5
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  11. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    @Alex Hodgkinson

T1 at Sonoma - The first left hand 'kink' after the start line. - Only tested on the sprint version, and typically raced with GT3.

I can take that either flat out, or with the smallest of lift-offs. The AI actively brake just before making the turn, which given the fast nature of that section creates a huge time differential. They give a good fight on the rest of the track, so it's frustrating that this one section isn't quite right. - I find myself doing the same thing to keep the fight 'fair', but obviously that feels somewhat artifical.

It's a great track, so I'd love to see it tweaked a little.

*Is this the best place for these things, or is there a more 'official' place for reporting issues?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Audii-Dudii

Audii-Dudii New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm new here -- to this forum, as well as to sim racing in general and RRE in particular -- and while I have 30+ years of experience hustling cars around racetracks IRL (so I have at least some idea about how to drive), I don't have enough knowledge / experience with RRE to answer this question: Is there a limit as to how quickly the AAI cars will eventually lap a track?

I'm asking because I'm finding it's no longer much fun to race the 2016 DTM cars at, say, Road America, because I've now reached the point where I always finish last. (Ditto for Bathurst and, it seems, a few other tracks that have more one or more long straights.)

After driving more than a hundred practice laps around RA, I entered my first race, where I qualified on the pole and then lapped all but the second place car over a 30-minute race. <buffs nails on chest>

Of course, AAI quickly stepped up its game and for the next few races, I still qualified well and won, but with decreasing margins of victory: 10 seconds, 8 seconds, 3 seconds...

Which is exactly what I expected and each race was still lots of fun, because who doesn't love a challenge? :)

Unfortunately, this backwards progression continued and I soon started finding myself qualifying and finishing mid-pack. The races were still fun, though, because I had to work hard -- gaining and losing places throughout the race -- just to finish where I 'd started.

Eventually, though, I found myself steadily drifting even further toward the back of the field, despite improving my performance (i.e., qualifying laps without DRS in the low to mid 1:58s and practice / race laps with DRS in the low to mid 1:57s), to where I am today, which is qualifying mid-to-back of the pack and finishing last in every race, because the AAI cars simply walk me on every straight.

At RA, for example, I can literally be leaning on their rear bumper exiting the corner onto the main straight only to find myself two or three car lengths behind by the first corner, another one or two car lengths behind by the fifth corner, and an additional two or three car lengths behind by Canada corner, despite aggressively using DRS every time I can.

I assumed the AAI would eventually decide it was being a bit too tough and cut me some slack, but no such luck so far. 8^(

FWIW, I typically race with 30 cars for 30 minutes and lately, I've been qualifying between 18th and 24th place, only to drift slowly backwards to last over the first 6 to 8 laps of the race, where I finally end up in last place and then drive around by myself for the remaining 15 to 20 minutes of the race.

Now, I will readily admit I'm no alien driver -- far from it, in fact! -- but at the same time, I don't believe I'm a complete no-hoper, either.

What's going on here and/or how did I get myself into this predicament? More importantly, is there anything I can do to change it (aside from switching to fixed-strength AI, I suppose)?

Again, I'm not expecting to win every race, but it sure would be nice to pass a car now and then instead of spending an entire race (unsuccessfully) defending myself at nearly every corner... :(

Thanks!

P.S.: Yes, I've confirmed that I am get 100% throttle when my foot is flat to the floor, so I don't believe this is a hardware or settings issue. But then, what do I know?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Very generally speaking they wont ever go faster than they would at fixed 120 strength. Furthermore they are supposed to eventually be at a pace where youre normally mid pack more or less so if you find yourself in last place they should theoretically be a bit slower again the next time you race that combo but it sounds like thats not happening for some reason on your end
    I assume that wont be it but are you by any chance running a custom setup that is slower in a straight line than the default setup?

14. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Many of us who are logner around already, can easily agree with it. Too me, Raceroom still has two deciisve advanatges where it trumps the competition: the diversity of well-done tracks, and the genre-bechmark AI.

That is not to say that there are no other strong aspects, too. But they may be shared by other titles, too. But tracks and AI are where RR still stands apart from all others.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Audii-Dudii

Audii-Dudii New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I should have mentioned that I checked that by reverting to the default setups and top speeds are about the same or slightly slower compared to my tweaked setups.

In addition, I have a background in engineering and some experience setting up real cars for autocrossing and roadracing, so I am knowledgeable about setting up cars to optimize their performance relative to each track.

Thanks for the input!

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    It's soo good, Sector 3 should start charging iRacing prices. Raise the pay and benefits of the developers.

"Nash"

17. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Lets not be silly now eh. ;)

18. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Screenshot_20200827-211959~2.png

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    It's more iRacing that should become more grounded, eh?
    Greetings

20. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Send your iRacing money to Alex!!!!!!!! Send your RRE money to iRacing.

"Nash"