New sounds (since 26-Aug-2020)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys,

First of all, great job! The ambient cockpit and back fire sounds are absolutely brilliant. I am sure there is more but yet to be discovered.

One BIG let down is transmission whine sounds:(. Very disappointing. I can hardly hear it. It was enjoyable and immersive experience with louder transmission whine. If you could give us option to control this sounds in order to please both parties (those who may not like it as much and those who want this to be louder). Currently at 100% and not much going on.

Possible bug: MERCEDES-BENZ SLS AMG GT3 - Bathurst ....weird car volume change occurring randomly. Please review when possible.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Well, the transmission volume didn't change in this update, could it be that you didn't play the game for a long time?
    Basically, the transmission sounds and their volume changed in the last months, and if anything the volume increased compared to the old transmission sounds.

Obviously, the transmission volume depends on the car, I always try to match the real volume or to set it close enough.
    You might be surprised how loud it is in some cars now.
    Which car was it that you found the transmission volume too low?

You should be able to adjust the transmission volume using the sound options sliders.
    Basically, if the transmission is still not loud enough when it's set at 100%, then you need to decrease all the others sounds until you get the balance you're looking for ;)

About the AMG GT3, I just tested it on Bathurst and there was no problem with the volume. Did you drive alone or with AI cars? Does it happen only in Bathurst or can you reproduce it in others tracks?

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply. I have been driving almost all cars frequently every day and I know exactly how loud was the transmission whine. Yes some cars have more or less but for example BMW DTM 92, AMG GT3 and many other cars now have a lower transmission whine sound. I am very sure about this mate.

About AMG GT3, I was driving on Bathurst in practice mode with no AI if that helps a little.

4. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    This is really weird because the transmission volume for these cars haven't been touched at all for this update.
    And if only some cars are affected, a code issue is unlikely.

I just tested more cars to be sure, and there's absolutely no change for the transmission volume wise.
    I really don't understand what is happening here, but be sure I'll monitor this in case some others players report the same problem.

For the AMG GT3, did you notice the random volume issue in some others tracks? I'd like to know because if positive, we might have a track to investigate ;)

5. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Before anything else, I need to say that I am a huge fan of RR sounds.The absolute best in my opinion. RR sounds are one of the best things about the whole sim.
    100% sure the transmission volume is noticeable lower than before or.......it might be that other sounds are drastically increased leaving no room for the transmission sound. I am not sure either what the problem is but I do know its not the same as before. My setting were not touched and remain the same. In addition, the engine volume in my settings is at 90% whilst Transmission whine is at 100%.
    I will do another test drive tomorrow and will let you know if the MERCEDES-BENZ SLS AMG GT3 is OK or not. Didn't have time to test on other tracks. Will get back to you on that tomorrow.

Many thanks for your feedback and support.

• Like Like x 1
  6. amsterDAN

amsterDAN Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I've only had the time to test out my trusty Cupra so far but I too found the transmission whine to be notably quieter than before, but not necessarily in a bad way at all because I previously found the sound far too present and overpowering in the overall mix, in a way that volume adjustment alone couldn't solve. I was starting to wonder if perhaps some of the higher frequencies of the whine have been rolled off with a touch of EQ in this update. Whatever the case, I was very pleased today to hear that whine sitting much more nicely in the overall audio blend than it previously did. To my ears it sounds much more connected to the rest of the car than it used to, and it sounds like there's actually a bit of car sitting between me and the transmission now; previously I found the whine so present it made me think of a dental drill actually inside of my head. But I suppose I won't be able to render a valid verdict on the sound updates until I actually take out a car with the ability to sound a little bit sexier than them WTCRs... :p

7. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    For your reference, I've posted this video back in April. Hence that the sound is straight out of the game and NOT from the camera mic which is what you need to hear. The transmission whine is clear and loud. Be the judge yourself.

8. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    :p yeah I think everything else is perfect. Obviously the whine sound is not for everyone which is why it would be a good idea to have it adjusted in sound menu. At this stage it sits at 100% and not loud enough for us drill heads :D.

otherwise best sounds ever and I am also pleased with the rest

9. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    What dash app are you using for telemetry?

10. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Maybe post a video of the car now for comparison? Like you I love the transmission whine. I have it at 100 and everything else lowered to make it even more prominent. I have my engine at about 70%

Edit: I did ask whether we could have them significantly louder eg at 150 but apparently that would cause a lot of distortion so the only option is to lower other sounds to get the balance you like....

11. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Transmission whine seems unchanged to me on the couple of GT3's I just tried. (AMG & the older 911) As above, I also have my percentages balanced to boost it.

The new additions sound great, and I'm looking forward to trying out more. Has the ignition (not starter) audio also been tweaked? - There's a nice electrical whine to it now that feels new.

12. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yes there are some new samples for the fuel pump which is what you hear when you turn on the ignition. It was almost inaudible before.

• Like Like x 1
  13. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it's not uncommon for the need to lower some sounds in order to achieve the desired balance, and RR offers us more audio settings than most other titles do.

@Anthony Monteil
    Great work on the sound updates, a very worth-while enhancement imo, much appreciated.;)

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  14. T3AMGEIST

T3AMGEIST Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    You guys really did an awesome job with the new sounds, they were in my opinion the biggest strength of Raceroom, and you made them even better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  15. carlos de hoz

carlos de hoz Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    thanks for these sounds, also being able to manipulate the ffb is fantastic, good job

• Like Like x 1
  16. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Ah - I missed that in the middle of the notes.

I just had a proper session with my headphones on - Great stuff guys.

17. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Z1 Dash

18. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I just tested it on Bathurst again and found no issues. Not sure what went wrong first time. It could have been something else. It seems all good.

In addition, managed to tweak sounds and got it to my liking again.

Once again, as always, fantastic sounds!

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  19. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I tweaked all sounds and got it to my liking again. However, I would still like to have trans whine above 100 as an option.

By the way, fantastic sounds

20. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Very happy that everything went back to normal for you, I was really worried that something broke on the way (which is always possible with software development).

And thank you guys for your cheerings, it's boosting my motivation to push the R3E sounds forward even more, and it gives me some new ideas almost daily :D

• Like Like x 7
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020