New sounds (since 26-Aug-2020)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Aug 26, 2020.

1. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Would there be any chance, if time allows, for someone at S3 to do a side by side of some of the cars sounds, as being old and deaf, they all sound great to me and I believe the only real way to hear the difference, is to hear the difference directly, may also help for those that hear no difference. They always sounded great to me anyway and now they're better, please help my brain distinguish between the two and give us some direct comparisons. Whether the sounds are better or worse they sound great to me, top job @Anthony Monteil top job old bean

3. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion the sound of a certain game (as well as a movie) is responsible for it success or a failure not less than any other aspect. In the end its the music that brings soul into 010101010 codes. A really crappy game in terms of content and design can bring my attention and hook me, as long as it has a well made audio :)

Raceroom stands above the crowd with its sound side, this was mentioned many times before. I think in this case audio is a crucial thing if you're making a racing simulator trying to imitate reality as close as possible. Without proper sounds, Raceroom wouldn't be what it is today. Anthony, you're absolutely aware of that and the last update is a crystal clear evidence of that ;) Keep it up, excellent work! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    That was R3E when i discovered it in 2014 or 2015. Floaty physics, car and track selection was okish. But oh boy, comming from AC, it was way more fun to drive bc of the pleasing noises the cars made. Not sterile like AC, the cars were alive, they had soul. And as a car/motorsportguy that was what i wanted. Physics never will be perfect in a sim, but sounds can be.

And in the end? AC issnt on my Harddrive anymore (new PC, but didnt care to install it again and mod it to death to get a good experience).
    I only installed AMS 2, Dirt 2, ACC and R3E. And guess what? Dirt 2, ACC and R3E have the best sounds in the gerne.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    That's an important thing for me too. I put my time in with AC, modded it to hell and back, and enjoyed the time and sim 'growth' I had with it. But come new PC/HDD time, it's gone. I can't be bothered to go back through whatever it is I've done to it for the odd occaision I still dip into it..

In contrast, the awesome stuff in RRE is base content. - Reinstall, and you're back to where you were. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  7. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much for your nice words! :blush:
    Though, I need to say that the sounds wouldn't be the same without the involvement of my collegues Robert Holm (super talented programer) and Alex Hodgkinson (super talented physics developer).
    The way the cars sound in R3E currently is the result of a true team work, where each competence is complementary to each other, so it's far from being my work only ;)

• Like Like x 7
    • Love it! Love it! x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  8. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I will feel guilty if I don't tell you that my first sim racing choice was based on car sounds. Then, it was brought to my attention that combo RR sounds and FBB was and still is priceless experience.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  9. jt33396

jt33396 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The braking sounds are SO satisfying

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  10. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I must say, the backfire sounds are even more immersive when playing in VR. It may have something to do with the way spatial effects come through the Valve Index audio solution but, it easily makes RR audio the most immersive of any racing title to date for me. I'm finding it hard to take a break from playing RR just for the aural-immersion factor alone. The audio combined with drive-train physics makes it even more stunning. Outstanding work. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    The more i drive, more i appreciate the sound update. With VR the immersion is awesome, especially with older cars (louder exhaust, more backfire). I have noticed that some of the cars you can barely hear starter motor anymore, is that intentional? I would guess not. At least both of the M1's are affected, i think some other cars too but i forget wich ones.

In real one starter is quite loud:

Speaking of M1 Procar, while i love both versions sound in game, i almost always found myself hitting the limiter when i start to drive it after being off from game for some time. That's because in my opinion it doesen't sound like it was revving as high as 9000rpm or so, more like 7500-8000ish. I have noticed same problem when i record onboard video of my real car, revving it to 7000rpm. IRL scream is high pitched and loud, however in video it sound like i would barely hit to 5krpm. Somehow it seems that straight six sound pitch is noticeable lower in videos (and game sounds) than in real life.
    I wish i could explain it better but there is language barrier :D
    Could you look at it at some point @Anthony Monteil and see if there is room for improvement?

Edit. I'm talking about onboard sound on Procar version only. Exterior sound is very nearly perfect.

I think Dirt 2.0 does great job with high pitch of six cylinder engines, very life-like sounds in that game. Overall sound quality is superior in R3e of course.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  12. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Hi Jukka!

I see exactly what you mean about the engine pitch feeling lower than it should be in cockpit.

Although our BMW M1 engines have correct revlimits (procar=9000 rpm ; Gr.4=8500 rpm), the onboards sounds are simply missing some harmonics (this extra highpitched "siren" sound over the main engine sound), and therefore it feels like they're revving lower than they should.

Those harmonics are of course very present in the external exhaust sound, but are often muffled in the cockpit recordings.

Usually, the R3E cockpit sounds are sampled straight from the cockpit recordings, and I only apply some equalization and cleaning tweaks when needed, but nothing more.
    I can't promise anything, but I should be able to add the missing harmonics to the cockpit sounds, by mixing them with a small amount of externals (which is basically what happens in real life; you hear a part of the exhaust from the driver position).

Stay tuned for the modified M1 cockpit sounds, hopefully I manage to obtain the result we're looking for and it'll be available in a future game update ;)

About Dirt2, it's clear that the Codemasters audio team does an outstanding job with the sounds of the Dirt series.
    There's several articles about their sound capture methods and equipments on the net and it's always a passionating read.
    They really have the best setup I ever saw for car sounds recordings. No wonder why the cars sound great in their games.
    When you invest that kind of fortune in sound recordings, the result is clearly audible into your title.

In comparison, the way we're working for sound recordings is quite different.
    First, we can't afford these expensive equipments, and we can't afford these private sound recording sessions either.
    All our recordings are made using some basic portable recorders, and they usually happen during some race events, which is much less convenient and easy (time and authorization limitations etc).

Also, the sound recordings are not everything, the granular synthesis in their audio engine is a key element of the realistic Dirt sounds. I must say it works really well for the rally car sounds.

On our side, R3E is using a classic crossfade method, which I'm happy with as this is what I'm the most used to.
    As I said, radically different methods and very different audio results ;)

• Like Like x 8
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  13. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    RR still the best. They have equipment and you have a skill. What is better?You win!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    He he, believe me, the Codemasters guys are very skilled ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Hi Anthony,

I'm very relieved you got my point exactly, i was fearing i might sound disrespectful with my request. Can't wait for the updates now!

Codemaster certainly have big budget etc, but like Turtle said, you have the skills and passion and that's what matter most in the end :cool:

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mid Night

Mid Night Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Today was the first time in two weeks where I had enough spare time to play Raceroom again.

I haven't read the changelog and just went straight into the game.

I drove out of the pits and went on the brakes.

WOW. I got goosebumps because the new brake sounds came so unexpected and are so spot on. Great job guys. Everyone who drove a race car in real life or a car with racingbrakes knows how real the brake sound in R3e now is. Absolutely lovely. Great job guys :hearteyes:

Only downside: I'm now slower at the racetrack because I brake more often, to hear this beautiful sound:D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
  17. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I can NOT hear their skill as good as yours. I am ready to argue with you on that subject if you like :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Is Dirt sound as good as in Dirt 2?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  19. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Dirt Rally sounds almost as good as Dirt Rally 2 in my opinion, and I even prefer the sound of some cars in Dirt Rally vs DR2.
    But they also improved some cars a lot in Dirt Rally 2, so I think it's not black and white between both games.

In the end, sounds are great in both games but they definitely progressed in accuracy in Dirt Rally 2.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  20. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    It won't be as easy as I hoped. There's a lot of pitch tuning required to make external and internal match together.
    I'll keep you updated if I manage to get something good ;)

• Like Like x 1