Unreal tracks for real sim

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sergeich, Sep 17, 2020.

1. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hi devs!

Building a circuit in real life is an extremely difficult task. There are many restrictions in the real world.
    Virtual worlds has no limits.

Create an incredibly interesting track? Multilevel, with obstacles, with exorbitant slopes.

So that we can check if Formula 1 can really drive on the ceiling.

You have no restrictions on track design. Why are you limiting yourself? There is also a lack of non-ring tracks with traffic.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Think you're at the wrong place, maybe try Codemasters or Mad Studios, RR is a racing simulator.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    really? RR - "racing simulator", not only "existing tracks simulator"

4. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    If you want traffic coming towards you in your lane @sergeich, all you have to do is join a free content server ;)

But to be honest: none of the above mentioned I see ever to happen in raceroom. One exception being the fictional tracks we already have. There are plenty alternative titles out there, that offer exactly what you are asking for. Be it moddable sims, beamNG, Wreckfest or some wellknown arcade racers.

Oli

5. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Please read theme of this topic.

6. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Nah.. A large part of the appeal of all this is being sat in real cars, at real locations to do what those lucky bastards on the TV do. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Seriously, there are plenty of important aspects regarding Raceroom people are waiting for... but hey, did you know that rFactor 2 fits quite good for such ideas? :rolleyes:

8. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Are you guys really thinking every part of a second 'hey yeah, I'm sitting in a real racecar on a real track and I'm fighting real racedrivers'?;)
    As long the track is interesting, has some technical corners, good elevations, gives good driving and is placed in a nice surrounding I don't have any problems with fictional tracks.:D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    A fictional track in general aint too bad although of course id prefer real life tracks any day of the week but if you go and create a fictional track thats multilevel, with obstacles and has parts where you can drive upside down then that just sounds like mario kart to me rather than a sim :D

10. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Neither do I, yet I would be willing to bet that a fantasy track would not sell nearly as many units as any of the real tracks. It's therefore not worth the time and effort it would take S3 or produce. Like it or not, a big part of sim-racing is indeed people wanting to race their favourite cars on their favourite tracks, just like the guys they're watching on TV or from trackside. It's also what sims are all about... simulating reality, not fantasy.

I even see this lack of popularity when creating online races. Use a real track, turn-out it fine. Use RaceRoom Raceway, and suddenly nobody is interested, despite it being quite a fun track to drive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Once I zone out with VR and headphones, I'm not far out.. :)

Another thing I love about real tracks is they become a transferable skill between sims. They all take time to learn well, and it's nice to know it's another one 'in the bag' for the future.

I actually quite like the Raceroom Raceway sprint layout, and it's perfect for the test drive function, but I'm very aware it's fantasy when I use it. The bridge in particular stands out to me as fictional. Real tracks are a result of the terrain/location limitations/features they're built on, and I reckon that's quite a hard thing to fake naturally.

Fictional cars always leave me cold though..

12. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    WTCC is fictional for now. Lets remove it. DTM cars never goes hillclimb - lets restrict them too. Formula X17 - fictional? Remove. Raceroom raceway track - also remove?

Real tracks - real licensing, all real-world restrictions. If track is interesting - I absolutely dont care - real it or not. "Fictional" tracks may be much more interesting than real

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  13. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    And occasionally you will find one or two of them lucky bastards sat right next to you on the grid.
    Enit!!!

14. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Who said that?;) And at least obstacles you can find on real tracks as well.:cool: ... and upside down? well, not intended!:p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It would take the same amount of time and resources to build a fictional track as it does a real one....so where would you rather that time was spent? I'm not against fictional tracks, I've spent many many hours on the early gran turismo games on fictional tracks but they just don't fit here with this game.

16. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I’m not against fictional tracks if the ‘feel’ real to me (think Toban or Mills for rFactor), but I’d prefer a real one, even if it’s not one I’ve heard of before - Raceroom is great for this, letting me explore the real motorsport world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    you are on juice again mate

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Aurigarius

Aurigarius Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Weeeelll....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    If we are having that we are having this....... If you don't get goosebumps when listening to this....check your pulse....you're probably dead.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I would like to see one or two more more hillclimb tracks with RRE tbh.
    For anything else we have rFactor and enough of simcade/arcade stuff...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1