Terrible Antialising - RTX 2080 - PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by mjs, Nov 21, 2020.

1. mjs

mjs New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've just installed RRE and I'm finding, even after setting everything up properly in game AND in nvidia profile inspector (including directing it to the correct exe) that the AA looks completely awful. Does anybody have any suggestions? There's no way this should look so bad.

2. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    And by that you mean selecting the 64 bit version under Game\x64\RRRE64.exe I guess.

3. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Which resolution? Can you make a screenshot?

4. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    The AA is bad. Even at 8x it's as if the AA/AF turns itself off or dramatically ramps down beyond 20m from your car. Beyond 20m the Armco looks like it's from a 90's PlayStation game, and the shadows, spectator stands, and scenery all shimmer like there's little or no AA/AF being applied. (The tin-foil hat conspiracy theorist inside me believes the reduction in AA/AF quality is a deliberate act to try and boost VR performance.)

This is 1080 with in-game 8x AA (no nVidia driver tweaks).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  5. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    The default one isn't great, but the NVIDIA enhancements should still work. I've been using them for a long time on the desktop.

6. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I'm running 4x MSAA and Nvidia FXAA (not the in-game one). Still some shadow flicker, but no worse than other games. Otherwise very smooth and nice, and very easy on the gpu.

But this depends on the resolution, I'm running 1440, which of course has less aliasing than 1080.

Modern games running TAA are buttery smooth without any flicker, but they are making other sacrifices.

So I don't think Raceroom's ancient AA is too bad.

7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    This would be the direction I'd like to point @mjs towards.
    If you're unhappy with the AA, your GPU should have no problem at all with some supersampling/downsampling.
    Check out DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) in your nvidia driver.