Assetto Corsa Competizione

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HomieFFM, May 31, 2018.

1. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    It's even worse in VR, almost everything at minimum except for AA, no supersampling, mirror at fixed 20 fps and still getting mild stutters here and there...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Btw, does Kunos have a Discord now, or is this from somewhere else?

3. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Thats from Facebook

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  4. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I need glasses then, nevermind.:p

5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    If you're not running any SS then your settings are definitely not optimal for VR, so you should look up some guides on how to improve performance. As well as some in-game settings there are a bunch of config file tweaks which work wonders for performance while making little or no visible difference in VR.

For example, run at 100% res and 100% SS (in-game settings) the sim is choppy and unplayable for me. Run at 50% res (in-game) and 200% SS (via Oculus Tray Tools) and it runs smooth while retaining the same VR graphics quality. Combined with the config file tweaks I'm running a combination of low/medium/high/epic settings in VR, and running smoothly, on a 1060 with Rift S.

So yeah, it can be done. You just need to optimise. (I know I know... we shouldn't have to, and the options should be in the game instead of hidden in a config file, but I guess it just depends how eager you are to enjoy this sim.)

6. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry Ross, but there is just no way. I think your eyes simply adopted well to constant half-rate. (I think you've mentioned before that you don't measure VR perf by numbers?)

7. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    It is just about possible to get 120 fps with the index on pretty much minimum settings, no SS or AA, AND with shadows forced off via an engine file with a ryzen 3600 and a 1080ti :D it looks absolutely horrible but at least it's playable with good framerates.

I've also heard this low render resolution and high VR resolution trick but it will just degrade the image further with worse performance in most cases imo, at least on the index.

8. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I did my first race after some weeks of break from racing yesterday, testing the new Imola in ACC, in VR of course. In heavy rain (I have randomised weather). Nice, very.

I just don't get what so many of you people are so bitterly complaining about in VR and ACC performance. Never got it, I admit. My only complaint is that it gets the system of mine unusually hot. Else: medium and mostly high settings, fluent frames in the headset, smooth visuals.

I sometimes think if it would be standard to have framerates of 320 in sims, people would start to complain about framerates dropping to 200, calling that "unplayable". o_O :)

But okay, jedem Tierchen sein Pläsierchen.

9. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    There is an absolutely massive difference between a 'smoothed' experience at 45fps + interpolation and real 90 fps (or 60 vs 120 in the index). If you just aim for 45 fps sure you can whack up all the settings and SS and get consistent framerates, but especially if you get to the competitive end of the field that is just not viable because in the end it is still 45 fps, only with your headmovements updating at 90fps. I admit I am making my situation worse by trying to get 120 fps instead of just settling for 90, but once you go high refresh rate you can't go back :D

Though as you say to each their own, should count yourself lucky if you can enjoy it at low fps :p

10. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Well, after a Windows update some months ago, my Automobilista 1 at v1.5.24 gets FPS drops from 350 to 200 or even 120 FPS, but it feels, like its more like 50, because it stutters and produces tearing, which is highly unusual for this game, which usually runs buttery smooth. (An issue with driver communication, causing bad frametimes, it seems, because FPS/Frametimes turn back to normal, when the wheel is disconnected and it also is back to normal when reverting to 1.5.16)

So sometimes the pure FPS number doesn't tell the whole story.

But to go back to topic:
    I play ACC single screen at 1080p and even if it drops to 57 FPS, it doesn't feel "slow" (usually i can run it around 70FPS with my settings), no clue, why, but even the notorious input/output delay is not existent on that large magnitude like 1 year ago.

But i also can't figure out, how it would be playable with a 1060 6Gb fluidly in VR, to be honest...i own this GPU and it's fine for 1080p single screen, i'm really happy, but VR would kill it. :D

Aber wer weiß, die Dinge sind oft etwas anders als sie scheinen. :D

11. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I do not have a frame counter on. Why would I. What counts is what is apparent to the eye. I know that I would not play certain games in VR or in VR movie screen mode that have higher framerates, but for some strange reason appear to ba microstuttering or low in frames. I am not even certain that I have this Oculus option of halving frames to 45 on or off. It does not matter.

If players finds his sweet spot in settings, then it does not matter what the certfied measurement equipement sais. When I am in an infight with severla cars aorund me and turn my head lsightly the the sides as well and have no lagging and no stuttering and no "unsmoothness" and no blurriness in the virtual head movement and in the surrounding cars relative movement, than I cannot ask for any more smoothness.

When I got the rig three yeras agi, I went through a long list with Windows settings and backgorudn services whcih I all turned off. I wodner whether I switched off some ressouce hiogs there that maybe the one or the other here sees impacting on his in.smulaiton performance, I don't know. Dont aks me for detiasl, i do not reclal it all anymore, it was just - well, some list I got inline, to make W10 less penetrative for my privatsphere a bit. I also tend to lag behind with Windows builds as much as possible, and stay away from always updating it as soon as possible (do it only 2 or 3 times a year now).And I do not replace graphics drivers before I must for some technical issue with a newly bouthn title. Newer driver not always translates into "better". Nor rarely it is the other way around.

And with W7 the world was better alltogether anyway. :D

That is possible. ACC certainly is a beast on the hardware, nothing I cna throw at it make sit runnigj this extreme hot. In summer I tend to avoid ACC, with room temperature sbeing signficantly higher. Usually my rig runs under stress at around 70°, 75 at best, with ACC, scratchign and exceeding 90° is the norm - danger territory is directly ahead (100°). Who woudl want to test it to that limit?

In two years I need to replace the Oculus set (Facebook crisis), and when getting a new headset then maybe will be an opportunity to buy a new system then. If I still care, who knows. VR-capable platforms that are solid in performance reserves are expensive, and these things already cost more than can be defended by reasonable reasons.

12. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Excuse me, but where in my post did I say I was getting 300fps? Nowhere, because I'm not. What I said is that it runs perfectly smoothly and is completely playable, which is true. I'm sorry if you're a slave to an FPS counter but I'm not, so as long as my games run smoothly and are playable, I couldn't care less if I'm getting 40fps or 4000.

Because out of the box and with no tweaks, the VR performance on an average PC is absolute garbage. Some people have great rigs, others are good an tinkering with hidden settings, and we can get it running well. But for all those who don't fall into those categories, the performance is abysmal.

If you would like to try my config files and graphics settings, I would be happy to upload them for you. I've been racing 30 AI all week and while I get a bit of minor stuttering on the grid, other than that it runs fine and looks perfectly presentable for VR.

Like I said, in VR the quality is barely even noticeable on a Rift S between 100/100 and 50/200. I can't speak for the index of course, but perhaps give it a try an see instead of just dismissing it out of hand? You can set both on the fly from within the game, so there's no reason not to.
    (Note that I did get another small performance boost by setting the SS in Oculus Tray Tools rather than using the in-game option too. Not sure if the Index has a similar tool.)

13. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Trying it is exactly what I have done, and it is just not any better. I have also tried plenty of the engine file tweaks floating around and they are all negligible.

This whole discussion has basically turned into a subjective discussion on what is 'smooth' or 'playable' in VR instead of actual ACC performance. I doubt anybody plays the game with a framerate counter on in VR, but if you have never even tested what kind of frametimes you are getting or if you aren't even sure if your headset is interpolating frames it's not a very helpful addition to the discussion.

You can easily make your game run 'smooth' by making sure you are GPU limited and never get high enough fps to run into CPU limits, but low fps is still low fps even if it's smooth. Some don't mind it and some do, and for the people that do, ACC is a nightmare to get running properly in VR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I've basically spent all of my spare time fiddling with the VR settings again during the weekend after what @Goffik wrote. First of all, those various engine.ini tweaks suggested on both the official and the RD forums don't seem to work well on the Index. The image quality may be marginally better (I'm not even sure), but it is a noticable ~25% loss in performance. So that is a no-go for me.

My goal was to maintain constant 80 FPS in the middle of a 30 car GT4 field. And man, it is hard to achieve that. It has to be said, decreasing the resolution scale in-game and bumping up the SS instead gives you a slight headroom in GPU performance, BUT it also decreases the image quality significantly (the visibility inside the cockpit itself remains fairly clear, but the picture gets really blurry ~100-150 m ahead). For me, 65% resolution scale is the lowest, barely acceptable setting and I can get away with 200% SteamVR SS in that case without GPU limit.

My final settings:
    Resolution Scale: 65%
    SteamVR SS: 200%
    AA: Temporal High - everything else is just unacceptable for VR either in performance or in quality
    Textures: High
    Mirror framerate: 1/3
    And basically every other setting is on the possible minimal value, visible opponents at 18.

With these settings, the game runs "smoothly" and by that I mean able to maintain 75+ FPS with only occasional stutters, in rain, during the night, everywhere. BUT the visual quality is just barely acceptable in return. So unfortunately the tradeoff between quality and performance is still quite a big headache, especially on higher resolutions (keep in mind that the Index almost has x1.5 times more pixels than the Rift S), so just because I haven't found settings I'm fully happy with despite actively trying for a year, doesn't automatically mean I'm simply ignorant.

15. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    ACC v1.6 - Let's talk about new physics features and improvements

"Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.6 brings multiple physics improvements and new features. In this live stream I try to explain the new features with examples a tiny bit of theory."

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
  17. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
  18. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  19. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I'll be temporarily deserting Raceroom to drive these tracks for a while. I have driven (well ridden, as I was on a motorcycle) on all of these tracks as well as Brands and Silverstone. It'll be fun to revisit them, albeit virtually.

20. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1