Enthusiastic beginner / audi TT

Discussion in 'Car Information and physics updates' started by Heinrich der Bauer, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Heinrich der Bauer

Heinrich der Bauer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    After a long absence resumed sim racing. I am now a bit preparing to participate in the rookie races with the audi TT. After a few adjustments I can now drive around fairly stable, but what strikes me is that the tires barely get up to temperature. Front tires are not very good, but rear tires stay cold. Is this normal with these cars or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Due to the recent update I created a new post and could not find a specific answer elsewhere either.
    I hope I have put it in the right place otherwise my apologies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Same here. I drove some laps around the Hockenheimring with the Audi TT and the rear tires cooled down below 35°C. Something seems really off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    It's normal. The Audi TT is a front wheel drive car, which means the rear tyres are barely doing anything other than holding the rear in place on corners. You'll see the same in the WTCR, WTCC and other FWD cars. Alex explained this in the thread literally right below this one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Heinrich der Bauer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks and sorry that I missed the post. I had searched by type of car ... So it is mainly important to get the front tires at a good and proportional temperature. Is there a difference between the Audi TT 2015/2016 in performance or just the same?

5. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Both cars have the same physics.

• Like Like x 1
  6. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I've been running the Audi TT at Zandoorvt this past weekend in the ranked servers and also believe the heating model on the tires are a bit off especially the fronts.
    I feel I'm pushing the car pretty hard with controlled drifts, hard braking running laps in the mid1.45s-1.46s which usually puts me in the front 2 rows.
    I think the highest temp I've seen is on the fronts is 84c on the inner right and low 30sc on the rears. Personally, I'd expect the fronts to heat up a bit more than what I'm seeing. The crew chief is telling me mid-race to" take it easy, you got cold tires all-around" lol

I've tried playing with the toe and tire pressure to induce a little more heat but I haven't seen much difference.
    I even reduced traction control level 1 to only 5%, I believe the stock is 100%

Does anyone have any tire data for this model, optimal tire temp, etc?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  7. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    75 to 90 degrees C is perfectly acceptable at the front.

As I've said previously, the rear tyres on an FWD car are only really propping up the bumper. They're having an easy life, so don't expect to get any heat in to them. Even if you did, the additional grip would give you chronic understeer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Heinrich der Bauer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Now I know that I don't have to tweak endlessly to get a few more degrees in the rear tires. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  9. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    If 75-90c is the optimal range for the fronts should one assume when using the -webmenu parameter that the tire colour coding in the setup menu are not functioning properly yet?
    Mid 70s still shows a blueish green colour.

10. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Yes, for now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I tried the Audi TT and Audi TT RS, what a blast to drive. wow !!

For tyre temperature, I remembered when I tracked years ago in my FWD semi slicks, I used an infra red therometer and measured the outer tyre temperature after 15minutes session, the rear tyre is around 27 degrees, I forgot what the front reading is, probably around 50 degrees.

For tyre pressure, cold pressure for the front is 24psi, and increase automatically to 32psi hot after 15minute session.
    rear tyre pressure cold is 28psi, and increase automatically to 32psi after 15minute session.