HUD OtterHud - A custom WebHud - With additional features

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by OtterNas3, May 7, 2019.

1. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    don't think there is a 1.18 - the opening post is still at 1.17

2. heavelyz

heavelyz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, merry xmas.

hud worked fine on old laptop but am installing on new machine with single hdd, no partition. I've triple checked the startup options, they look ok to me...
    upload_2020-12-26_11-58-32.png

Have extracted dash.zip and run it, but it's stuck at the point it's searching for the rre process (i.e. it never finds it).

If i leave dash running, rre will overlay it fine but if i start rre through steam, it keeps asking me to download dash.zip and install it.If i start rre first, then alt+tab and run the extracted dash.exe, it sets up the shared space fine.

But, running through steam i still get the in game "download and run dash" msg...any ideas?

3. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    -webdev -webHudUrl=https://otterhud.github.io/

Is what i have in the start up menu

4. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Not 100% sure, but to me it looks like you didn't quite get the process.

If you start dash.exe before RaceRoom or after doesn't really matter, as long as it is running while you play. Otterhud is just an interactive webpage you call with your start parameters. This page is waiting for input from dash.exe to show the data. And dash.exe is only a small program that uses the shared memory data from RaceRoom to make them accessible for the webpage called Otterhud.

When you start only dash.exe it's totally normal that it is looking for the R3E process untill you actually launch RaceRoom, because this IS the R3E process. This process can't be found before you start it. You don't need to wait for it to be found, it will automatically be found as soon as you launch RaceRoom.

Just run dash.exe first and then start RaceRoom with the appropriate launch parameters and everything will be fine.

But if you happen to forget to launch dash.exe before, it's also no problem to Alt-Tab out of RaceRoom and start it afterwards. In this case RaceRoom is already running, thus dash.exe finding the process immediately. Otterhud will pick up the data from dash.exe in this case too, no problem.

5. heavelyz

heavelyz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I just worked it out, I'd omitted to enable the Crewchief enable webhud option. All fine now, merry xmas

6. Debottam Ghosh

Debottam Ghosh New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why don't developers integrate the best features of this HUD into the official game?

7. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    They were the ones who made webhuds in R3E possible in the first place. It's supposed to be a customisable alternative to the "official" HUD, not necessarily a replacement. Plenty of people still use the existing in-game HUD too.

8. vrjo

vrjo New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The dash is amazing, so helpful!

I use it for making car setups only and deactivate it in the race since I like it clean with no HUD and maximise fps which for me are 5% better without the dash. But there is one litte thing that annoys me and I cant find out how to get rid of it. I get this message top left of the screen telling me to download and run dash.zip. It also appears if I start the game without the hud at all. It destroys the pure look a bit.

Anybody knows how I get rid of that window?

Otter Dash.jpg

Thank you in advance :)

EDIT: I did some further tests and even though I deleted the otter dash folder & rebooted my system, the message top left is still there. I wait a bit for an answer here before I try to repair game files or reinstall the game.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  9. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The message is there when you have the starting parameter in game launch options while the dash isn't activated. You can get rid of it by deleting the launch parameter, but I think it's needlessly convoluted solution.

If you want to quickly switch between OtterHud and no hud, I think the easiest option would be just using OtterHud all the time, but set up one of its presets to have all the widgets turned off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ghostyboy

ghostyboy Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Very Good HUD.
    How can I See when I change the brake bias or TC?
    There is no info or checkbox for activate.

11. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    This info isn't available via OtterHUD, for some reason. Instead you'll have to reactivate the in-game HUD messages. It's not a problem though, the message box is invisible until it has something to display, and disappears after a few seconds.

12. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, there are couple things that aren't available through OtterHud, so it's good to keep the "essentials only" vanilla HUD active. In that case you will get things like penalties, brake bias/TC/engine map changes still on the old HUD.

I recommend getting into single player race, make a big cut to get a penalty, and then move around vanilla and OtterHud interface components in such a way they don't overlap themselves and they are well aligned.

• Like Like x 2
  13. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hm, missed a drive through because otter his didn't show it and I shut all internal Raceroom widgets off. Is this normal?

14. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Not all messages are available to apps. Better to keep essentials only turned on from the standard HUD.

15. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, okay. Hopefully we don't need a mix soon.

16. Thomas Dammann

Thomas Dammann New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, i try the search, but don't found an answer.

Is it not possible to use the otterhud in triple screen setup ?

I can only use and move items on center screen.

I use the correct Steam launch parameter and start Otterhud as overlay in CrewChief.

17. vrjo

vrjo New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thank you this helped me out. Making the HUD invisible is not an option for me, since the process is still active then and uses CPU-resources. I did some benchmarking, it's about 8-10% less performance with otter HUD on for me. Since I'm on RTX 3090 my ryzen 3700x is massively (!!!) single core CPU limited on Raceroom. I race a lot against AI and I'm used to race in 144hz but that's not possible for me in Raceroom even with quite strong hardware.

I tried @OtterNas3 suggestion to seperate the dedicated cores between the main game and the webUI and it helped about 2% so thank you for that hint.

I guess overall that's the downside of DX9. But I still love it and prefer Raceroom over their competitors.

Edit: typo

18. Andreas-80

Andreas-80 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    At first...OtterHud in combination with ChiefCrew is superb. For me it makes R3E 100% better. Thx for the great work!

But one small thing I really miss. I would like to see permanetly the last lap time and the sessions best time.

The few seconds the last laptime displays after a lap is done is too short for me.

Now I see the average speed in kph (nice but not necessary), and the average lap time (also not nessessary) and my all time best lap time (good)

Is there a chance to see it all together permanently with the OtterHud ??
    -all time best lap (with the car at this track), the last laptime and the sessions best time ?

Thank you!

19. sinnfinder

sinnfinder Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Mir geht es so wie Andreas-80 schreibt.
    Das ganze Raceroom zusammen mit dem Otter-Hud ist wirklich Top.
    Was wirklich schön wäre...eine kleine Tabelle zum einblenden:
    1. beste Zeit überhaupt
    2. beste Zeit in dieser Session
    3. die letzten 3 oder 4 oder 5 Runden...
    Für Trainings- und Quali-Fahrten wäre das super.

Gruß vom sinnfinder

20. Rox

Rox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am sorry to insist but dash.exe does not start, cc does not open websochet, it happens not only to me but also to 2 of my friends, as well as to many others on the web.
    I have not found solutions even cleaning the whole computer
    we use updated windows 10
    port 8070 appears to be compromised
    if on CC I change port the websoket starts but in the game hud it doesn't work.
    do you have any idea ... we can have this hud too or is it only for a few advantaged
    NB.hud di rre really does ....