News (beta) Multiplayer Rankings

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Cenda

Cenda New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really don´t have any idea, I am just presenting my point of view....

I wish it would "consider" the actual way you were driving, gaining positions, clean overtaking etc.. And at least after a progress in a race, not this high points deduction. Give me a zero, I´ll take it better then this :) And yes, I understand that the fun factor can not be involved :)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Ricardo Rebelo

Ricardo Rebelo Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it is a generational thing to expect some kind of "reward" other than the fun of playing and racing?:cool:
    I find ELO-like ratings the most adequate for the relative categorization of players and I wouldn't like the matchmaking issues that would arise to be over-rated just by playing more than faster guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cenda

Cenda New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about that, I am 45 years old and it is not about the "reward", it is about being punished even if you try to do as best as you can so to speak....

4. Ricardo Rebelo

Ricardo Rebelo Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Oh, we're the same age!:)
    Don't take it as punishment, it ebbs and flows, furthermore the less rating you have, the easier to win it afterwards;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I noticed that with the current system you gain more rating over a week with your "good" combos and lose rating when there are your "bad" combos, so it might look like your skill rose and dropped for no reason. I think that would be a pretty complicated system if it tries to predict your skill in different combos. But I'm not sure it's worth the time to develop it, partially because a simple system leaves little place for ambiguity.

But a lot of that progress was only possible because of your very poor qualification. You made an effort in a race and almost recovered from your quali, so your "reward" was not losing even more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cenda

Cenda New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK guys, at the end I think we can all agree, that the only solution to my "problem" is just to get better and win everything. I will try to work on that :)

7. 56RAF_Dutch

56RAF_Dutch New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL, talking ages..... I am 50 years old and have no RL experience in race cars whatsoever and I totally agree to the fact that all I have to do also is just race better than everyone else on the track and eventually I don't have to cope (I hope) with sim racers that are just totally out of their mind or are even worse drivers than me.
    I decided to attach my clip after all because to my regret I have no reaction whatsoever from RaceRoom support to delete the race where I was punted multiple times for no reason at all and eventually dq'ed for having to much incident points....can you imagine....grmffff.
    He completely ruined my stats and pleasure in the game in approx. 60 seconds....to bad....
    The crazy thing is that I still think the guy than punted me multiple times may have mistaken me for somebody else or the guy is just not in his right mind. I even think he is a better racer than me, because of the better rating, better qually and better lap times, but his behaviour is completely wrong.
    Have fun watching the attached clip and I hope that I and you never meet this guy on the track again.
    I will just get racing again and I will get there eventually :)

Have fun and drive safe!
    Dutch

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  8. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Your video didnt link to game play but to some charlatan get rich quick thing on youtube ,

Andi

9. 56RAF_Dutch

56RAF_Dutch New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't know why but I corrected it.

10. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    looks like he has some grudge against you :eek: anyway, report, move on

11. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Its reported

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fennek

Fennek Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I just participated in a 15 min ranked race at Brno and got kicked off the server after 10 min. In first corner I got hit from behind and therfore ended up at the end of the grid 10 seconds behind. I made my way back and catched up when suddenly all opponents dissapered and then I was in the main menu. No error code or anything else.
    I took a look at my profil and guess what. I lost points. Again. Last time this happened to me was on a ranked race at Nordschleife.
    It is not the first time I report this problem and I am not the only one complaining about the reputation system (and yes, I know that some beta testers think everything is ok with the game and it is just my fault. I'm reading this thread along)
    It is so frustrating to take part at the ranked races and receive penalty points for things that are not your fault.
    Unfortunatelly there are not so many players in RRRE in general and specific lobbies are almost empty. For me ranked races are almost the only way left to enjoy this game. But everytime I try afterwards I am dissapointed and frustraded. I hope it is not your intention to make players feel this way. - If not, you should address this issue immediately. Thank you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. AlexBlob

AlexBlob Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    There is very much a reason why disconnects are treated in the way they are. Lets say you have a bad race and you will lose a lot of points. If there was no penalty I would just yank my internet cable and then do the next race, in the process completely defeating the point of the ranking system.

There is a reason why all other competitive games treat a disconnect this way, and its nothing unique to R3E.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so I gave this "ranked multiplayer" a try. And considering this is my first real experience with online racing, plus the posts here, I was expecting total mayhem, with me going back to 100% SP in 2-3 races.

But, it was actually, quite ok -> good. Sure, there are those, who refuse to use the brake pedal, and basically divebomb each corner, but I also got a fair portion of nice, close, respectable racing, up to the last corner.

And after just 8 races I'm at 88rep, just by racing rookies servers. So I got either really lucky, or it really isn't that impossible to get higher rep.

Sure, there is a lot room for improvement (like a convenient in-replay reporting), but lot of these problems are artifacts of the smaller player base. When you have enough player to fill only a few servers, it is really difficult to actually split them by rep.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward how this will develop, and will definitely keep on hoping in ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Well, When you start your "ranking carrer" it's easy to raise your stats if your decent driver and don't be silly.
    It's getting harder next, if you want to raise your number more and race in more competitive server (80+ REP)
    And if you're going over 90, you only need one unwanted disconnection (or being kicked of between quali and race) to go back to the lower 80.. witch can be a little bit frustrating when it happens 2 or 3 times...

On this note:

There's a lot of discussions here (and in other threads), and I see some constructives comments that can help to improve the system without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    Ranking system is still in beta, so it's meant to changes, but I don't see any dev input on this (nor in this thread nor in any recent dev communication).
    It would be nice to have some feedback on this, because here and now any discussions about ranking fell like talking in a big empty void, adding to some frustrations when things are not so well perceives .

16. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    There is an unfair behaviour that I noticed in last weeks. There are people how enter in a ranked race, see that somebody is doing better in the qualification session, and simply retire to avoid the risk of losing some rating points.

This must be penalized. To retire in qualification session must be considered as retiring in race session.
    One other idea: In other famous sim, not to be named here by me, there are public training sessions. I mean sessions without qualification and race, only practice, but with other people online. This is a fantastic way to train your skills because you get feedback about how you compare with others. And this is easy to be set in the sim.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    There are practice sessions before races in R3E.

It shouldn't be penalized. There are people that fight for rating and have good rating. Since there are no rating based splits. Someone with 2k rating can be in the same race as person with 1.1k.
    1. Lower rated people also tend to be dangerous on track especially T1. So, the risk of being taken of the race and loosing lots of rating is very possible.
    2. Many people join/leave the server in the last minutes of practice. So, if someone sees a good SoF in practice, but then joins quali to see there's no one fast enough to race they might want to leave and find a better server.

You can't force people to do things that are not fun for them in a game cause they find another game.

18. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    It would be great to have an equivalent of IRacings "Tow to pits", from which you would be able to continue, after some time. So people can reset should they became a dangerous obstacle on track, without suffering insane reputation hit.

I.e. I span in a blind corner, ended up on the racing line, with the front againts the barriers. So I quit, to avoid the absolute mayhem that would happened should the next group of cars arrive at my spot. I suffered 17 points to my reputation... so I would be better of if I would stay on track, or blindly reverse, take 1-2 hits in the crash, ruin the race for somebdoy else, and continue on.
    I don't think this the behaviour the system wants to motive people towards ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    ESCAPE => go to pit

You'll not be able to race again but you can wait the end of the race here, not having a big hit on your rep (other that the from the crash itself) and you clean the track quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Didn't knew that, thanks. :)
    Anyway, in the longer races it would be great to have the opportunity to get back on the track, and fight for some scrap rating.