FFB Update Discussion Thread (June 2021)

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Thomas Jansen, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    There's also the effect of caster to consider, which causes more self-centring (or natural counter-steering) when the rear axle yaws relative to the front axle. Then there's body roll, which causes unequal vertical load on the left and right axles, again causing a steering effect. The body roll also has an effect on suspension geometry, causing the roll centre to move towards one side of the car or other, again creating steering forces.

There's a lot of stuff happening all at once :D

• Like Like x 3
  2. Flamedphoenix

Flamedphoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Thats exactly the thing - for Logitech wheels this update is really bad...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    I have used my own G29 extensively during the development of the new FFB to make sure we were improving the FFB for all wheels and not just high-end wheels. While some may not like the more physics-driven approach, or simply are not familiar enough with it yet, the improvements are absolutely there, also for Logitech :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Does the roll centre move to the outside or to the inside? Or is it like forward/backwards?

5. OldNTired

OldNTired New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Amazing update on the FFB! :)

First time I don't need to add any filters in my Direct Drive wheel software to get rid of oscillations etc. in any sim when driving with stronger forces. Time to buy some new content I think. :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I've played around with my Logitech G29 with several cars and tracks, just trying to understand the settings better and dial into what I like.

First, this might be stating the obvious, but the FFB Linearity seems to have a direct impact on FFB Minimum Force. In other games, I'm used to setting Min Force at 10-12 %, and I can do this if I have Linearity at 100%, but at the Logitech "default" of 70% Linearity, the recommended Min Force of 3% seems about right.

I found that the wheel was too light and I wasn't feeling enough of the forces at default though, so I have played with this. What I found is that at 60% Linearity, I have to set Min Force to 0%, otherwise I get rattling at the centre when driving straight. Going all the way down to 50% linearity does feel a bit better for me, but the rattling at the centre is a bit too much, so I've settled on 60%.

I've then added ̶3̶5̶%̶ 10% Bump Amplification to get rid of the slightly flat feeling.

All in all, I really like the new FFB. My one complaint is that I'm finding it harder to feel when the rear is moving about than the old FFB and other sims. I think it is the self-aligning torque, maybe a bit too low. The lower Linearity does improve this, but it comes at a cost. I'd prefer to be able to tweak this setting individually - I wonder whether an Immersion setting for self-aligning torque, similar to the Bump Amplification could be a good solution.

EDIT: Further testing has led to the following settings:

FFB Strength - 100%
    FFB Linearity - 60%
    FFB Min Force - 2%
    FFB Max Force - 100%
    Stationary Friction - 50%

Engine Vibration - 0%
    Bump Amplification - 15%
    Gear Shift - 0%

Noting a lot of negativity from G29 owners, lack of feel etc. I have to say, I'm surprised. This feels good to me, over multiple cars, with plenty of communication. I do have to turn most cars up individually by 3-4 clicks though. FR Junior by about 10!

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  7. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    It is on every track in SP mode. I”ll try it again later today and give you more info.
    But perhaps it is what you say about the added lap setting. I never heard of that setting but will take a look. Where is this used for?

8. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Can you explain this more? I dont understand well what exactly do you mean with "drive with wheel screen on fanatec logo".
    thanks

9. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Left/right, up/down. It's a front-view calculation so no fore/aft component.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Morimaru

Morimaru New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    At first I felt quite good with my G29 yesterday, amplifying the bump, can feel the track much better than before, but after hitting it hard in the morning, I can't connect with the lateral inertia, with the old FFB when braking with a TCR I felt perfectly the loose ass and how to counteract the distribution of weights, even if they were tricks. Now I have a hard time knowing when to stop braking and how to rotate the car compared to before, I need to work hard to get the same lap times and in general the "horizontal" sensations don't feel nearly as good.

My conclusion is that the reason I felt so good the FFB in RR with my G29 in comparison to other sims, was all thanks to those artificial effects.:(

11. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I play with Fanatac V3 pedals and Logitech G920 wheel. After the FFB update I just managed to have some sensations close to the former FFB that was good enough for me, only with GTR3 cars (lowering linearity to close to the minimum). Formula and DTM cars seems dead and do not transmit enough strength to my wheel, even raising FFB car specific multiplier.

Other problem: FFB metter shows nothing in practice sessions.

12. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    This exactly my problem too. I have no steering lateral forces with Logitech G920.

13. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    The DD1/2 come with a little display on the wheelbase. In case you use this display to show some telemetry data, the base will sometimes produce jolts out of nowhere, without any cause from the FFB. This is a long standing issue with the DD1/2 wheelbases that is being discussed up and down on the Fanatec forums. You have to use the default screen on the wheelbase to prevent the base from producing these jolts. This is the screen with the Fanatec logo.

This is an issue since the beginning of the DD1/2 wheelbases and Fanatec don't seem to be able to solve it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    @Christian G
    Just noticed the “additional lap” setting it shows off but it is barely visible. I don’t know which settings set so I see it. See attached image. (I had to up the contrast so you can see what I mean)
    49A07B20-2E78-4CCF-89A0-A3DFBC74EBFD.jpeg

15. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    It becomes available when you set your race duration in minutes instead of laps.
    Also make sure that no DTM or ADAC rule set is selected.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    A great write-up from Ermin:

• Like Like x 5
  17. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    oh, ok, now its clear to me :) thanks for explanation.

18. Andreaf

Andreaf Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have been running in simulators for 20 years, I have been running in recent years on ac, acc, Iracing, Rfactor 2. I just have to say that you have done an amazing job, for me NOW the best force feedback ever. Simply thank you.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  19. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    You are definitely correct that the Linearity and Min. Force are quite connected. The reason for this is that the linearity amplifies small forces by a LOT. For example, on 70% Linearity, a force that was previously 3% output is now 0.03^0.7 = 8.5% and 5% turns into 12% etc. So that is why we recommend only a very low Min Force setting, combined with a lower linearity setting on weaker wheels. The Min Force is only there to really 'skip' those first few % of FFB where those wheels output absolutely nothing, and then the Linearity amplifies the small forces so you can actually feel them.

20. Manuel Alves

Manuel Alves New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    New FFB = No FFB. I don't feel anything. Even on max settings. What a disaster.
    Please give us the option to choose to revert to old FFB. Doesn't matter if it isn't "scientifically correct FFB", only need "feel something FFB"
    Raceroom had the best force feedback on my setup (T150) compared with RF2, AMS, AC. Now it's like assetto corsa, nothing happens on the steering wheel.
    I tried WTCC17.