How do you feel about electric cars in RRE?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vale, Sep 22, 2021.

?

How do you feel about electric cars in RRE?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2021.
  1. Great! I love electric cars

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. I have them because they were in the premium pack and use them

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. I have them because they were in the premium pack but don´t use them.

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. I decide what to buy on how it drives, electric or petrol makes no difference.

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  5. I don´t like electric cars in the game

24 vote(s)
    38.1%
  6. I have no opinion on the matter.

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Other

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Now we have 3 full electric cars in the game. How do you feel about electric cars in RRE?

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    BTW if you have them but don´t use them, why is that the case? No multiplayer servers? No interest in them even in single player?

In my case, it´s mainly the lack of multiplayer lobbies - I mean we raced shopping trolleys for a while when they were in the game and the lobbies were full and it was fun.
    The lack of engine noise is a minor peeve but maybe that´s more to do with RRE having excellent sounds so I notice it more than on other games.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I don't like electric race cars in real life so I certainly won't spend any time driving them in game. I have them all because betatester and I'll drive them for that purpose but that's as far as it goes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    All R3E content in my library except the three electrical cars.
    Sorry old skool petrol head here. I still like grease, oil, pistons etc ;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Anything wrong atm with the Cupra e-racer AI? Just tried a quick race and with a standing start the AI won't run after the green light, and if rolling start is selected, they'll just veer and stop outside the track.

Other than that, I don't remember using the Cupra e-racer much vs. AI since I got premium recently. As a single series is strange to see that driver names are missing on liveries, so you get an all-"C.Driver" grid that isn't great for immersion* , while one already struggles with a very different car to drive (and hear). Imho, If anything, the added weight is more off-putting than the powertrain's particularities. Maybe when there's a proper e-tcr series represented, these cars will become more appealing ingame for offline racing.

* something similarly weird happens with Lynk&Co filler TC Cup cars, using official wtcr liveries but "C.Racer" names

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  6. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I like the Cupra and the iD-R, but the Mach-E isn't doing it for me. I have all 3. Occasionally I would set up an Ai race with the Cupra, and it's pretty fun, but not as engaging as running the WTCR 2020's. I attribute that to the lack of engine sound and feeling like I am not fully in control of the motor, because it doesn't have a transmission. Sure the electric motor is way stronger quicker and more efficient than any other transmission type. But when I am selecting my own gears, I just have more control over the car through engine braking. It's almost as disconnected feeling as driving a city bus (what I do for a living), and I always feel as if I don't have enough brake, even though I'm darn near locking the tires up. In the bus, I just go slow as a turtle. In the E-Racers I find myself braking a lot earlier than what I would do in a gas powered car. It's weird.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I've no objection to them being there, but I'm not a fan. Gearing and audio are major immersion factor points, and these have neither. The IDR is exteme enough to be interesting in it's own way, but it's a once in a while palate cleanser between 'proper' cars. :)

Same with real life tbh.. Part of the fun of a race day is the sound and smell of it all.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I have nothing against electric cars I just didn't like either if these three. They are special, different from ICE cars, but none of them excite me enough to want to drive them more. Surprisingly it's not the gears or sound, I just don't like how they drive.

Some time ago I was negative towards electric cars but over time my opinion changed to neutral. From a broader point of view it doesn't matter much what propels you forward. It's still racing. Just a bit different than what we petrolheads are used to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Soon we won´t have a choice. I wonder if one reason for F1 sprint races is to get people accustomed to future electric cars with less range. I wonder how the 24h races will go. Will they change cars every pit stop?

10. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Not necessary. We still have sailing sport, for example.

11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    And all these private rockets orbiting the earth for highly necessary purposes plus all those planes. Anyway that´s a topic for another day.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    It just tells us that the old tech is not something that must go when new tech is available. All the more so in special areas like sport.

13. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Tell that to the lawmakers, though. It´s not like electric is superior to thermal or steam like the case with trains that run on a defined route which can be powered and if everyone had an electric vehicle then there would be a power shortage and prices would be even higher than now.

When new petrol and diesel cars are no longer sold or built 10 years from now and the old ones are banned too then I doubt there is going to be an exemption for motorsport like there was with tobacco sponsorship for a while.

14. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    As a part of my support for S3 I bought Cupra E and VW IDR4, but they rather collect dust in my virtual garage not being driven too much. I was quite surprised to find out that VW doesnt have any side mirrors, thus racing with it is quite difficult. To me electric cars in RR are rather some kind of curiosity fullfilment. A thing worth checking out, yet quite easily forgetable in the sea of more interesting content :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I find it unlikely. Full switch to electric vehicles is too far away in the future because we generate many times less electric energy than needed to replace all ICE (* update), so it's impossible to predict what laws will be made at that period.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  16. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I knew as soon as i saw this thread the starter would be pushing an anti electric agenda XD the bias in the poll is clear.

They all have their benefits, uses and drawbacks. No one gonna run a combustion engine on the surface of the moon.

Eventually people need to grow up and use the right tool for the right job.
    Just swap the battery around? We were doing it for years with our mobile phones i never heard anyone say "Gasoline powered mobile phones are the future".

I hate planned obsolescence.

17. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I've brought it up a couple of times on the Sector 3 discord. Disappointing that they still cant put a random name generator on all those liveries.

18. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    What did they say? Is that a licensing reason?

19. SchlesiM

SchlesiM Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    For me driving cars (both
    in sims and real life) is a matter of passion (therefore I still prefer manual shifting IRL). I want to "feel" it with all my senses. To be honest: IRL I even love so smell cars (especially older ones).

In my opinion the experience of driving a e-car lacks too much of those sensual feedbacks. Ok, they can be ridiculous fast but also somehow boring (reminds me of driving a vacuum cleaner).

But I'm sure there are fans of electric cars (and maybe they're getting more and more). So why not having them in R3E. You're not forced to buy/drive them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Please explain where you see bias in the poll question and possible answers. There are 2 positive, 2 negative, 2 neutral and 1 open answers, or at least that was my intention.

• Agree Agree x 4