OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. TanHammer

TanHammer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well I guess a combination of this sim (DX9) and WMR or Open Composite. I guess all we can hope for is some future updates to DX or other optimisations that may help with VR performance. Hopefully the latests updates will help to bring in enough new users that it would be viable to have the devs spend time on this area.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. A Warringa

A Warringa New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That is exactly my biggest hope :) I'm no programmer but I assume it would be a huge task to update it to DX12 for them so I don't have much hope for that. There was some hope when the WMR devs wrote on reddit they found the possible conflict between WMR and SteamVR, but their latest Beta actually doesn't work with Raceroom at all. So some small hope is that they will fix that and hopefully that will give some improvent to Raceroom.

3. TanHammer

TanHammer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    DX12 would be a godsend but yes very unlikely, even DX11 would be a literal game changer :) Hopefully we see some updates in this area down the line. I love everything about this sim except for VR perfomance, if that was better optimised it would take place as my preffered sim.

4. A Warringa

A Warringa New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Even with the poor VR performance (well I get 90fps but it looks crap), it's still my favorite sim besides Iracing. That latest ffb patch made it even better. I also play a lot of AC (awesome amount of mods). I like the physics of rf2 the best but I hate everything else about the game. The UI, the loading times, it's a horror to select a car and track and actually start racing.
    PC2 and AMS2.. I just don't like the physics of those 2 at all.
    I just read that MS Flightsim 2020 wil get updated to DX12 and the devs showed an increase in fps of 60% in a live streaming. Fingers crossed that the update will actually be that good and that we also see this performance boost in VR, that would be incredible. Now fingers crossed that the Raceroom devs can pull of the same magic ;)

5. Autobox [ARG]

Autobox [ARG] New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ayer corría sin problemas de picado, pero hice algunos cambios drásticos. Cambie la resolución a 1366x768 (sí, mierda), todos los efectos visuales a "Bajo" y borre los parámetros de lanzamiento (tanto Crewchieff / OtterHud como SteamVR). Obviamente, todo parece que tiene una tarjeta de video y un procesador de los 90, pero pude funcionar sin problemas. Hoy trataré poco a poco de añadir definición, efectos y parámetros de lanzamiento hasta intentar entender qué provoca el tartamudeo con todo al máximo.

6. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Hello. I’ve been racing in R3E in VR for awhile with a CV1. Loving the ranked racing lately and it’s where I spend most of the sim time the last couple months.

Last weekend I upgraded to the Quest 2 and love it! But I’m having problems with R3E. I’m using both the Link cable and Air Link, and even tried Virtual Desktop. With every other game it all works fine, and I’ve got R3E to load up a few times but most of the time it loads up really tiny on my monitor and won’t load in my headset. Steam VR starts up, I see the Steam VR environment with the mountains in the distance, and occasionally I even see the Up Next dialogue showing that R3E is loading. But then it just loads up on my monitor really tiny in the corner and not in the headset. It has loaded in the headset a handful of times and I don’t do anything differently when it does. Anyone have any idea what’s going on?

Again, I’ve tried AC, AMS2, Microsoft Flight Sim, and all of those load up fine every time. I’ve gotten R3E to load up a handful of times so I know it can work, but most of the time it loads up really tiny on the monitor. I have -vr launch option in Steam (tried it with and without that option) and it always worked flawlessly on my CV1. I’m really at a loss why R3E won’t load and frustrated because it’s my preferred racing sim right now. I’ve added some pics showing what I see in the headset and what I see on the monitor. In the monitor pic you can see that SteamVR is showing everything is connected properly. Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as much info as possible.

Attached Files:

7. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    It looks like OpenComposite might be a solution to this.

8. Mark Acklin

Mark Acklin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes especially with Oculus it will run so much smoother….I use it with RE3 and Rfactor 2.

9. rafnix

rafnix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    is it working again after introducing new UI?

10. Mark Acklin

Mark Acklin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No you have to use the old ui in order to use open composite.

11. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Update, using OpenComposite seems to have fixed my issues and I was able to reliably do some R3E racing tonight.

12. Mark Acklin

Mark Acklin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glad it worked out for you!

13. BRing

BRing New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can not get from car back to menu while in VR.

The keymapping "back" does not work anymore. I had and have it mapped to my Fanatec CSL.
    This is very annoying.
    Can somebody please help me?
    I have still trouble to get into RR with my Hp Reverb G2 and Fanatec CSL.

14. Flybarless

Flybarless Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Have you ever pressed the back button for 1-2 seconds?

15. BRing

BRing New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can get now from car to menu via mapping the PAUSE button.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  16. BRing

BRing New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I need to know what the correct way is to setup up SteamVR settings if FPS is (often) not enough in RR.

Many folks say that the resolution should be decreased in SteamVR and then afterwards you should increase SuperSampling per application.
    E.g.:
    Sim Racing: resolution 50% and supersampling 150%

My question is why not vice versa? Why not leave resolution on standard 100% and adjust SS for application to e.g. less than 100% in order to increase FPS?
    What is the official statement or way to do it?
    Are both right?
    Does the first increase more FPS but also blurriness and
    the second increase less FPS but also less blurriness?

Ehm,
    and I have not understood if this 90FPS is a must for WMR users like me with the HP Reverb G2.
    I know that if 'motion smoothing' is activated in SteamVR settings this will kick in if FPS<90 and it will fix it to 45FPS while also adding guessed frames so all seems so look fine. But simmer do not want to see guesses images, so they probably won't use this smoothing technique. But is it a problem if FPS is only 70 or so? What is the reason many adjust resolution and supersampling and game settings to get this always >90 FPS?

17. Viktor Janeba

Viktor Janeba New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Because of how rendering pipeline works. Computing geometry, effects etc in higher resolution is more power demanding than computing it in lower resolution and then just upscale it.

18. Pekro

Pekro Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi
    I tried Raceroom again after a little break and I'm wondering why I can't see any sparks and smoke in my headset (Oculus Rift S). Do I have to set any option in the graphics settings in order to see smoke/sparks?
    Thanks! :)

19. Pumo

Pumo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    particle detail effects that, low no smokes/sparks, medium is enough.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    how do we use old ui?

• Like Like x 1