Windows 11?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GregoryLeo, Oct 30, 2021.

1. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    So win11 is out for free, I've read some of the reviews and it's getting mixed reviews. I think the biggest worry is that it will not support 32bit architecture, which to me kind of makes sense since no one has made it in years. But you should still be able to run 32 bit games like GTR2 if I'm not mistaken, which still like to play even as ancient as it is.;) Otherwise the basic system requirements are pretty low and you'd have to be running a very old system not to meet them. It's supposed to have been optimized to be smaller and quicker, but who knows? According to what I've read It's basically win10 with some minor changes and better upholstery.
    Microsoft has said it will end support for win10 in 2025.o_O Which in my mind is a way to force more people to upgrade now before the official release, so they can gather more data for improvements.

I'm wondering if anybody here has made the change or knows someone who has and what your/their experience has been?

2. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I upgraded to Win11 last Saturday after both Microsoft and AMD released fixes for their initial L3 cache latency issues. I like it so far. There is no huge difference from W10, feels more like a reskin which is closer to the modern design standards set by Apple and Android. The only small issue I have with it is that the taskbar is only capable of displaying the clock on the primary monitor, which is a bit annoying when using a full screen app on my main screen, but there is already a third party solution for that if someone desperately needs that functionality.

Regarding racing sims, I haven't noticed anything out of the order either, RaceRoom runs the same in VR, AMS2 as well, I had no compatibility issues with my hardware equipment, so it's all good so far.

And in general the user experience feels more "fluid", I find the new system sounds more pleasant, the new UI animations are also nice, not over the top, but more dynamic than in Win10, overall it has a more modern feel to it, in align with the mobile platforms. Personally I haven't regretted it (so far).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    People with some 3 year old CPUS are on the blacklist for installation requirements.

I got the nag message to upgrade for the first time today from update but I think I will hold off till the first 2022 big update or until the next big w10 update comes to let them fix more bugs and have drivers updated etc etc.

It will be interesting to see if they continue updating w10 twice a year or they just stick to generic security patches.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    That's a common misconception, it's possible to install Win11 on older hardware with a clean install, a Win10 -> Win11 "on the fly" upgrade which is not possible at this moment.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  5. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Good to hear that it’s working. I just remembered when the win10 update came out I had a lot of minor issues that bugged the flick out of me so I rolled back to win 8 on my old and now defunct gaming laptop.
    Sounds like Microsoft might have learned their lesson, maybe?

6. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Yes one of the reviews I read said that a clean install on some systems was more rumor than fact.

7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
  8. JohnSimonson

JohnSimonson New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is not worth installing it yet, since many of the shortcomings of win 11 have not been patched. I think it will be possible to install it in 3-4 months.

9. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Ok but will it still be free in 3-4 months?

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    If you mean for those with W10, I wouldn´t worry too much about that - there should be a long upgrade window maybe through to 2025 and worst case you can find dirt cheap licence codes on the internet.

11. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Two slight annoyances I have found since then:
    - It's not possible to drag-and-drop items between apps using the taskbar at the moment
    - The taskbar's clock is also incapable of showing seconds, which is kinda frustrating for someone who likes to join Teams meetings exactly on time :p

- On the other hand, the possibility to create and name multiple desktops is kinda cool, I can organize my personal and work-related stuff completely separately and switch between the two sets of apps with a simple click.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Well no win11 for me then. I don’t like to clean install win11 . To much settings and preferences etc.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I went ahead and made the switch. The only real difference I could see was the cold boot times seem longer. And access to things like wifi and blue tooth have become a bit more complicated. No problems with Raceroom so far, but AMS2 takes a lot longer to load in every aspect of the game and looses itself when I try to quit and I have to go into task manager and force quit it. As for the new look I think a rather prefer win 10.

14. bruceleeroy2142

bruceleeroy2142 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think windows 11 is better optimized for ssd harddrives and not so much mechanical. I run windows 11 on ssd and a standard harddrive, its flawless on ssd boot time into windows less than 30 seconds fully loaded drivers etc, On a standard drive I do agree with you it seems to take a lot longer than windows 10. Mechanical hds are going be a thing of the past soon they just don't cut it today for speed of data transfer. I've been using windows 11 since october and had no compatibility issue with games or drivers so far.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Has this got better with any patches? I think I will switch next year when the W10 big update comes out.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I don’t know if it’s gotten faster, or that I’ve just gotten used to it. I think most of the updates have been more focused on business apps, and since I use my system mostly, ok almost entirely for sim racing I haven’t really noticed any changes.

17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Is AMS2 still slower and are you on an SSD drive?

18. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    The track loading times have become slightly slower indeed, but I'm not sure if that's the new OS or Reiza has changed something.

19. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Yah I go through phases with ams2. Got involved rf2 then back to Raceroom which still remains my favorite. And a few races in acc along the way. Anyway I haven’t gotten back to AMS2 Since then. Have to go back and try it again and see how it feels.