Key feature missing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NicoCL68, Nov 9, 2021.

1. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    There is a key feature I miss. In iRacing, as a successful competitor, there are 24h long practice only sessions. This provide racers the possibility to not only practice but more to compare themselves to the others, and then jump to the races.

When you enter to the system, and the race you think to race is about to start in maybe 40 minutes, you can practice this time. And yes, in RaceRoom you can practice solo or against the AI, but this is not simracing, simracing is about to race against other humans.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  2. BIZI-AircooledPoly

BIZI-AircooledPoly New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    I'd argue about that...

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I´d argue that there should be no multiplayer servers with longer practice sessions than race sessions. Single player mode is for learning tracks and setting up cars, especially when in RRE you can´t see all the historic times posted in a session if someone has quit or rejoined so there is no real barometer to good laptimes.

5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Why? What's bad about that if, as we see, there's a demand for it?

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    As with DJ Khaled, some things have no logical explanation for their popularity.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Given the size of the userbase currently I think 24hr practice sessions would be a complete waste of resources. However I would like to see the hourly (and half hourly) servers have a longer practice session so that they are effectively always online and available to practice when not in a Q or R session. It seems to be an all to common complaint, especially from newer users that they "can't find the server" as it is in an offline phase. My understanding is that at the moment this is impossible as we can't have both a scheduled (as in start at a specific time) and always online server, they have to go offline to reset. Perhaps as the underlying system is developed these things will be addressed.

8. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    First things first, if you are lucky enough to find anyone to race RR online.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    This is a good Idea. Anyway you can't wait for the users to join to then start putting the servers online. You need to put the servers to attract the users.

If there is a problem with "resources", so money, create a premium service. We will pay for it if worth the pain. Where is the problem in paying 10 USD a month ? ... when you invest 2.500 in the PC, 1.500 in equipment, ...

RaceRoom is good as a sim, the problem is the lack of competition. You must learn from iRacing, Don't copy all, but yes that works.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    700 pc , 500 hardware.....

So

I am not going to pay , please dont use a royal we.......

If you want those servers maybe just set them up each week and you can use your money to pay the server fees

One of the best things about raceroom is the no monthly fees

Andi

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I would have to be mad to join a practice server when I can use leaderboards or single player all day long for the money I already spent on content.

I think that iracing has cornered the market for suscription based online racing so other games have to offer alternative solutions. RRE´s USP is it is the only F2P (with limited content) online or single player sim type game and trying to imitate iracing´s model without offering any added value will not end well as people will only complain about DX9, no dynamic weather, no driver changes, no ovals etc etc etc.

12. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Well, the biggest issue with iRacing subscription model is not the monthly fee itself, but the fact that you also need to pay for the content on top of that and you lose access to your purchased content if you cancel the subscription.

If you could access your content in single player without subscription in iRacing, I doubt anybody could challenge it. But as things stand, there is a niche between R3E and iR model, where you could provide unlimited access to content for single player (or even playerside maintained multiplayer) and charge additionally for access to well-crafted online competitive features. And I believe this is a sensible direction to follow for Raceroom to allow them steady revenue, development and sustainability, if they deliver a product worth the admission fee.

13. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Both systems can coexist. Maybe a premium service, payed, to hold the servers, or part of the servers. Many of us can be in good disposition to pay for it, others no, OK. And may still be the possibility, must be, to play solo with the content you own or in private servers.

I agree that the most annoying thing in iRacing is that is not even the possibility to play solo with your content if you don't pay every month (apart of the physics and the people behaviour).

14. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Just to take it one step further, 0 pc, 50 hardware.
    Im not gonna pay double my pc + hardware investment every year just to have a more structured multiplayer..
    Not to mention that a structured multiplayer without the neccessary amount of players doesnt really work anyways and i dont know if drastically restricting who can join will help with that. Id tend to think everybody willing to pay monthly fees for multiplayer is already doing that over on iracing and theyll stay there while those who dont want to pay would stay in single player or play other sims. (But those are just my guesses, im sure sector 3 will have more data and people with more knowledge on the market to ultimately make those decisions)

15. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I think the biggest key feature missing is (and yeah I know I am beating a dead horse here but....) dynamic weather and day night transition.

Every other sim on the market has these features and I feel there is no excuse in 2021 for these to not be implemented. If I want to race in dynamic weather and night day transition I have to boot up another sim.... *shrugs shoulders*

I know everyone and their mother has requested these features and I just wish it was a top priority instead of pumping out car after car and track after track. I get that is how money is made but still...

16. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Beating on something that doesnt involve a new game engine would be more productive thats all

Andi

17. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I agree, but I was just putting my opinion out there. Did not mean to come off rude with my post....

18. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    You didnt

Andi

19. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    If daytime transition is possible then night should also be - at what processor/FPS cost is another question. Rain was in GTR2, which has an older engine and was in many DOS games too, I´d rather not have them if it will slow the game down, though.

If you want low system requirements weather then the Madness engine games are a better option.

20. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    It has been mentioned many times that the engine is limited to one light source for the scene. So if you'd enjoy racing in total darkness with exactly one of the cars having a headlight, they can provide that. Other than that, they seem to be unwilling or unable to improve the graphics engine in any way so probably not worth speculating about it.