Macau Hairpin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrazyMasterBlaster, Nov 19, 2021.

1. CrazyMasterBlaster

CrazyMasterBlaster New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No matter what I try with my steering angle and rotation I can barely get around the hairpin unless I'm doing 1 mph. I have to stop and spin the rear wheels to get around. What's going on here? Tried GT3 and FR3 and same problem with both.

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    From Discord:

3. CrazyMasterBlaster

CrazyMasterBlaster New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    But I've already done all that you suggest. I just can't get around without a spinning the rear wheels. The wheel is G923. Even if I set it to 360 degrees and max the steering angle it's the same. Maybe it's a gamepad hairpin

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I have the same issue with most cars, even with max lock and brake balance to the rear - using those is also not desirable because it compromise the rest of the lap. The Tatuus competition is fixed setup to there is not a lot that can be done apart from those two options and trying to take a good line in. I haven´t tried wallriding round the outside but I suspect that will invalidate a lap time.

A handbrake is helpful but a lot of cars don´t have one that works.

It will be interesting to see how many people are able to finish a long race there without being DSQ.

5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  6. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    hairpin is doable in most cars..... most

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I wish it were possible to select a sector of any given track to practice on, at Macau you need to drive two thirds of it before you get there so it takes a long time to develop a technique.

8. Lemmy

Lemmy Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    That's the charm with long narrow city tracks
    Endless amounts of time and patience... :D

9. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well, could be an issue as well (if still applies) cause I actually have no problems so far (GT, TC+ DTM new + classic, Gr5 but no single seaters cause I don't race them ). Fanatec Hardware incl. Handbrake here btw. (which works on all cars I used, tho' for the hairpin I don't need it - it's just about perfect timing each goddamned lap :D:rolleyes: )

10. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    you can try simply reversing in practice

here's some nice try

and slow one

11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Many of those cars don't actually have a handbrake enabled.

12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I did 2 hrs of frustrating laps and improved my time in the F4 down to a 2.31 in the few clean laps I managed. There is another second to come easily but I find the issue with the hairpin is not getting round the corner but rather the barrier collision detection on corner exit, which is in hairtrigger mode for that part of the track whereas you can happily wallride or even hit a wall and bounce off it with no lap invalidated message on most other parts of the circuit. It´s a ptiy that the detection system is so inconsistent - a wall is a wall.

One trick I found was to use the inside wall of the hairpin to push the rear of the car round. No penalty there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    You want to drive on the "Bus Stop" writing to the left and then turn right at full lock.

14. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    That´s the Euro truck simulator line but even so, I still scuff the outer wall and the lap is disallowed 8 times out of 10 in the F4. I discovered a tighter line and hitting the inside wall with the RR tyre pushes the rear out and lets me get round better. Steering lock on digital is 15, too much for all the other corners but not enough for the hairpin.

As mentioned, it´s the wall hit detection which is too strict at that point of the track. Sophia Florsch corner can be bounced off to gain time with no penalty and it´s the same for the walls on the fastest part of the track. The hairpin and last 2 corners before SF line are much stricter.

15. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Yes, 15 degrees are not enough. You need 17 or 18 to be able to make the hairpin.

Regarding the wall hit detection, I don't think there's a difference in how it works for different corners. The thing is that the wall hits add up, so if you touch the wall multiple times in a single lap, the probability of your lap being invalidated is getting higher with each wall hit. That's why you're seeing more invalidations in the later parts of the track.

16. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I noticed impacts tally up but even so, I have done loads of clean laps until the hairpin and then only scuffed it slightly with the wing or tyre and boom, lap invalidated. Similar with the last 2 corners, they are more sensitive and next lap invalid comes up a lot, quite like when you go over the white line on normal tracks.

Managing to get round the corner a bit more often swinging it out wide like a bus and now sub 2.30 but it´s a long process with so many invalid laps

17. Erwin Sch

Erwin Sch Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The F3s lock can't be set higher than 15 degrees in RR, unfortunately. This is not enough. In real life, the lock can be set (much) higher, it seems:

(see 1:30)

• Like Like x 1