Resolved A beginner's guide to gamepads

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Christian G, Sep 2, 2017.

1. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    Any changes after the last update?

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  2. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Yes, would be interesting if @Christian Göpfert changed anything since the December Update.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Nikolas

Nikolas New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your guide, it is really helpful!

4. P.Nos71

P.Nos71 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    very very gooood, this PDF !!
    it help me for setup for my PS4 pad

5. tEWONE

tEWONE New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    2 years ago I was a total rookie/newbie coming into simracing with just a 360 controller. I was struggling big time, but then I found this guide and it changed everything. I have to say i basicaly learned how to race with just the gamepad! Today going strong with the same exact settings provided in the guide, so I encourage anyone with a gamepad to take give it a try! :)
    big thanks to the OP

6. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I've had to revert to using a gamepad as my Fanatec Pedals (acellerator) snapped. The default settings are way too twitchy for some of the faster high DF cars.

Your settings in the summery section of your PDF are so much nicer (smoother). They should be the default settings for gamepad profiles, they are that much smoother.

Thank you for sharing this info.

7. MR RMM COSTA

MR RMM COSTA New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello... its it xbox 360 ???

8. MR RMM COSTA

MR RMM COSTA New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello ... where can I find that setting for xbox 360 gamepad??
    Thanks in advance

9. AkaGUIkasa

AkaGUIkasa New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much for the guide, I am using the original DS 3. I also applied these settings to Race 07.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mike 4

mike 4 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hi Christian! I know this was an old post but I am hoping you might be able to help.

I am trying to use the Logitech Rumblepad 2 with RaceRoom and the game is not letting me assign buttons to the profile.

It says under Active Devices
    >ID 0 Keyboard
    >ID 1 Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2

I created a profile for the rumplepad, using the game pad option. Then when I click Edit assignments it has several things marked as "disconnected"; Steering, acceleration, braking and a few others. So I double click on a field that I want to assign and it does the 'press any key' to assign but when I do an input with the rumblepad nothing happens. I can not assign anything to the rumblepad.

What am I missing? I really like this controller, so my preference would be to get it working but I am also open to buying something new that is known to work well. Not particularly interested in a wheel. Thank you so much!

11. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    You don't shovel snow or dig a hole with a tennis racquet, don't waste time driving a racing simulator with a game pad.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  12. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Racing sims, for the vast majority of people, is a hobby. The only thing that matters is if you had fun - and people do have fun with gamepads. Even keyboards.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  13. mike 4

mike 4 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I was able to resolve it. It was a problem with the wireless. I ended up doing a one battery reset with it, you remove a battery then hold down buttons 5 and 7 as you replace the battery, then hit the sync button on the usb transmitter/receiver and it magically started working. All is good now, thank you!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Maybe for some people the fun lies in challenging themselves to master a proper simulation even with limited gear. I for one have been using a gamepad in RR since I started testing here, and while I'm off alien pace by a fair bit (2-3 seconds on average), I can keep up with or even beat some of the other testers and developers, all without causing chaos.

I think we should let everyone decide for themselves what's fun to them and be as inclusive as we can. Some people might not be able to use a wheel but they still enjoy the feeling of driving a properly simulated race car in a competitive environment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    That's not for you to decide what people enjoy and what they should play.

That, again, is not for you or me or any other player to decide what the devs want to invest their resources in. Keep in mind that gamepad/keyboard players aren't less worthy than wheel players, we all pay the same money.

16. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    You're missing my point. Play Forza or GT, if you want a game that is dedicated to gamepads. Don't ask a simulator to bypass years of work to make a wheel/FFB based on physics to simply trying to replicate a good experience with gamepads.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    What if don't want "a game dedicated to gamepads"? What if I want a game where cars behave like they do in real life, and how I control them is less important to me?

To me it looks like you see a racing simulator only as a complete package of: 1) physics, 2) controls, 3) immersion, designed to only be used in one particular way. So if someone doesn't care about one of these things, it automatically means they don't care about simulators in general and therefore don't care about the other things in sims. If that was true then yes, this someone will be better off playing an arcade or a simcade.

But - it's not true. Racing sims are more open than that and you can very much enjoy some parts while not paying attention the others, you can have fun playing the game not in the most life-like way. Developers decide what options they want to add and how much restrictive or open they want their game.

If your point is, devs shouldn't pay attention to, let's say, anything other than wheels, then I get your point, but I have a different opinion. I'm glad that devs of simracing games still support other types of controls.

18. jtf

jtf New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm using the settings as laid out in the PDF.

I still find the car car a bit over responsive. Will increasing the analogue sections value help with that?

I'm also getting excessive heat in my FL tyre on the current rookie sever, TSU. I think I'm getting the car to full lock and sliding. Would lowering the Steering Lock help, currently at 13?

Cheers

19. Daniel Montes

Daniel Montes New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all
    I got an error just minutes ago and RR is asking me to send it to Sector 3 Studios
    How do I do that?
    Thanks in advance for any information provided

20. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Try lowering it, sure. Majority of tracks don't need more than 8 degrees of lock anyway, for normal driving. But it might be not enough if you need to make a tight turn, like if you spun out and need to get back on track.

However, overheating tyres is not something that can be fixed all the time. Sometimes it's just because of the track or car/track combination.