Poor performance since last patch with AMD GPU

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andregee, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Andregee

Andregee New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

i am using a Radeon 7970 with a 3770k @ 5040x1050
    Before the last patch i could use high reflexion setting, mid shadows and shader 2xAA and i had no problems to keep synced 60fps, but after the last patch i have to reduce the reflexions to minimum and even shaders to minimum to keep 60fps the whole time and yes i set the graphic options to my old values from before the patch. Thats really poor and i can´t understand that Nvdia users can report a better performance and i am not the only one with that problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Do they really report better performance? After the patch alot of tripple-Screen-users have reported a reduced Framerate. That was reported by some AMD and mostly by Nvidia-Users aswell.

For a temporary Solution try to set Shadow-Splitt to of and if that is not enough set reflections to medium.

3. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    did you installed the latest AMD driver? i have only single screen, but experienced the performance drop as well, however after i installed the latest AMD driver it went back to almost normal.

4. Andregee

Andregee New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its undepending of the driver because i testet all the latest and its allways the same problem. Shadow split is set to off. I know that the graphic options where set to different values after the patch and the borderless windows mode was activated but i set everything to my old values but the gpu load is up to 30% higher than before. Nvidia users who had set the graphic settings to their old values report a better performance. The poor performance reports where caused by the edited graphic options which where introduced with the patch.

5. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    No problems with the latest stuff, I am actually seeing a little improvement...

6. jayblue

jayblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Same here, single 1920x1080 monitor with the 15.7 drivers saw a marginal improvement compared to the 14.12 omega driver.

7. Andregee

Andregee New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    with or without shadow split. I set it to off, caused by the triple screen and yes its better with shadow splitt, but it was much better without before.

8. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    2015-07-14 1304 0001.jpg 2015-07-14 1304 0002.jpg 2015-07-14 1304 0003.jpg

On for me..

I find one of the biggest hitters is track detail, get that on low, it's only less trees and crowd anyway..

9. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I installed the latest Nvidia Driver today (new installation) and noticed no change - except for the common FPS drop since last update.
    Fiddleing around with all settings (Phenom II X4 955 / GTX 650 /Win 7 /64 - mostly all settings on medium/except shadows off, 4x AA, 1920 x 1080) I found no significant change UNTIL I SHUT OFF VSYNC INGAME (and adaptive Vsync ON via Nvidia control panel). That did the trick- have around 50-70+ FPS even with sundown time of day and shadows ON. Vsync ingame killed around 15-20 FPS in some areas.

10. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I am currently using nVidia 880M, I did not see any improvements in my frame rates. I had some FPS drops at the end but I do find that the shadows looks better now.

Do check your options menu as the game reset my previous graphical setting that turned on FXAA that literally killed my FPS. As a whole, I had minor fps drop in the latest patch for R3E.

11. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that info - i'll give it a try. But in General i'm quite happy at the moment. I've noticed improvements since the June-Patch, after the performance drops with the easter-Patch. The June-Patch allows me to activate Shadow-Split again and now with the July-Patch I've got slightly better FPS.

And yeah - comparing the shadows from the beginning of public-beta to now, the improvement is like a quantum-leap...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Oh, the disregard for our track artists. They are working their bottoms night and day down in the texture mines to exploit all the wonders DirectX has to offer, and you? You, devilishly grinning, with but a mere tap of a digit, destroy worlds they so lovingly created.

Is this the face you see when looking in the mirror?
    [​IMG]

:p
    Oh and are you running triples? Cause those setting seem rather low. Or do you sacrifice for the high shadows? (Just wondering cause I've set it quite to the contrary, everything high but no shadows.)

13. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    single 1080 and yes I sacrifice for high shadows, anything less doesn't cut it. But the other stuff does... I'm okay if the cars aren't really shiny... This is currently my best compromise of looks and performance. I set it at the most demanding track (Shanghai T2) as long as I don't drop below 60 I'm happy. It's a shame cause everywhere else it's way over 100, 160 in places.

If I turn car shadows off though, leave contact shadows on, everything goes on high. but there is still a bit of stuttering at Macau and Shanghai, when it drops from 140fps-90fps

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  14. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely, now shadows look great on medium settings too- guess my post was misleading, cause , as said, the FPS drop was mainly caused by the Vsync ingame.... but that "Vsync" is generally a delicate topic cause one says adaptive Vsync is great, others say no - with DIRT Rally (Yes got it :) ) - it makes anything worse...but maybe it depends what kinda system you have (latest high-end, or standard PC)..well I come from a time where Vsync was neccessary for Open-GL nothing else...:)