Question People with disabilities

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nash Bobo, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I was on a server Monday an enter a race. When the green flag dropped, I couldn't go anywhere. I check back at the rules and saw the rules required a manual transmission. So,Nash was not going nowhere because he as to drive in automatic because of his disabilities. I look back that some of the servers only let you drive in manual. Could Raceroom make it so people with disabilities can drive on all the servers in automatic?

Thanks for your understandings

"Nash"

20220214161728_1.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. j.mcleod

j.mcleod Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    This isn't going to happen. You'll have to either find avoid servers with manual-only stipulation or find a way round your disability in order to use manual gears.

Can you not bind upshift/downshift to buttons you are able to use?

3. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I believe you should be able to filter the server list to show only servers that allow automatic transmission.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Its up to host to set rules on a server, simply find different one. What is your current controller and setup?

5. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    FeltHλt, I have a standard T-150 attached to a desk with Fanatec peddles with the clutch removed. I drive with my left foot and hand only. I can work the left paddle and buttons on the wheel. Can't work the keyboard or mouse and drive at the same time. I tried binding a wheel button for the down shift and up shift with the paddle, but the binding wouldn't take. You guys are right there are plenty of races on the menu. I have seen only a couple of servers with manual trans only. I do wonder why someone would limit the transmission to manual only. I was born with Cerebral Palsy on my right side, foot and hand.

Thanks for helping me out on the pics

"Nash"

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I have the same wheel although I don´t use it anymore. L2 button would be your most convenient upshift button to bind and keep the left paddle to downshift. Use autoclutch. Did you try creating a new custom binding profile for the wheel with no buttons assigned? I don´t see why the game would not allow the bind unless it is a preset - maybe someone here can help you do that. At worst there is a text file in your documents folder on c drive where you could edit it manually but much easier in game. I can´t post the location as this pc doesn´t have the game installed.

Definitely try to configure the game control setup before expecting the game to change for you.

Another option is to try using the mouse for steering and the 2 mouse buttons for the gears - it will take time to get used to it but could be the most comfortable option for you - keep using the pedals for accelerator and brake if you want, it is possible to combine multiple input devices provided you have the wheel plugged in and connected. Or you could map all the functions to the mouse; mouse forward accelerate, mouse back brake and left right for steering.

If that feels alien then the final alternative is keyboard for steering and gears and pedals for accelerating and braking. You could bind the most comfortable combination of keys to be able to get fingers to all of them, the disadvantage is it is not analogue control anymore. You might also consider using the keyboard for gas and brake too and then map the pedals for upshift and downshift as you would use those the least and never both at the same time.

I remember that some games like F1gp allowed the same button to be used for upshifts and downshifts, not sure if that is possible in RRE as it has to be linked to the throttle to work e.g it will upshift when throttle is pressed and downshift if released.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  7. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hey Nash I dont know if this could be a solution for you too.
    I have to drive without pedals because of leg issues - but have found this fully handcontrolled wheel.
    And its working great.
    I guess it would be possible for you to combine this wheel with the pedals you allready have - so you could get around your disabilities without having to use autoshift.
    Check it out ;)

SRWFront+Rear30prc.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hey Nash - thanks for the PM.
    I got another idea to publish here for you or someone else with such issues.
    I have seen that some wheels like the Thrustmaster Integral F1 has a turn switch with 2 functions.
    When you with your thumb turn it up it could shift UP.
    And when you turn it down it could shift DOWN.
    Hehe actually the wheel have 2x of these double function switches.
    Check the pic:

Thrustmaster-Ferrari-F1-Wheel-Integral-T500.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Just out of curiosity, do you have it attached to sth or are you actually using it free-handed?
    I tested it a couple years ago and found it to be working very well but I just couldn't see me using it for longer races because holding it became straining pretty quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    No you are fully right.
    Eventhough its quite easy to steer very precise then you get tired in your arms and sholders after some time (individual ofvourse).
    I canabalised the stand from an old TM Modena wheel and via a QR from RL racing equipment I merged the two.
    And as I have said above it is working pretty good.
    And I can further ad that if you treat the SRW wheel nice then its pretty long lasting.
    In about 10 years Im only on my second SRW - and I have still 2 new as spareparts.
    As with all pot controlled sim wheels its the pots that wear out.

5_MG_7107_shp.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I like to talk about how the automatic transmission has a lot to be desired in these cars. I know there are very few drivers that drive with them so, the demand is not of interest of fixing them or making them better. You take the BMW M6 and some others, if you are going around a hairpin slow or coming down pit road the car easily slips from first to neutral. Sometimes it can be a fight for me. Then at the start you start in neutral and when the lights turn green and the cars are released, the RPM and power dies then picks up on some of the cars. People go by and say see you later Nash. Going through the curves people with standard trans have a choice of gears and they can accelerate, decelerate and brake better. I'm left saying how can they do that. What are they doing that I am not or what do they know that I do not? Heart breaking. How can they pull about 10 seconds better than me on some tracks? I asked that question in the forums and people say just practice and talent. I know some people have more talent. But at some starts and everyone has their foot in the gas, and they are going around me to head to first. I believe it's a little more to it than that.

"Nash"

12. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I guess that just like in RL if you are able to floor the accelerator milli secs before your competitors out of a corner leading to a straight then the topspeed just before you have to brake again can easily be 10-20 km/H - higher!
    So I believe there is nothing more to it than that :cool:

EDIT: Added - higher. Otherwise the post have no meaning :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  13. Некий

Некий New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    An automatic transmission will always lose to a semi-automatic. You need to find an opportunity to somehow assign buttons for gear shifting, then over time, when you get used to it, you will start to drive faster.

14. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
  15. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    DonaldD, that drop in rpms and power on some cars using auto when you put your foot in the gas and the car gets going at the start really bugs me. TC on all the cars could help. I like some of your ideas on the wheels. I feel that this subject about people driving with disabilities should be talked about more.

"Nash"

16. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    tc is available as one of assists

• Like Like x 1
  17. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    And I think you should give as example the Thrustmaster F1 idea a more serious thought.
    Because if you as example can be able to use your sound thumb to shift up/down - and by practice be good to it - then you can probably get complete rid of the auto gear thing.

Personally Im very glad I didnt accept an offer from iRacings staff when I was member to be allowed to use a personalised autoblip without the sims mandatory delay.
    Because I learned myself to sidestep my handcontrolled wheel handicap instead.
    By using a special technic to get the car to rotate slightly before the entrance of a corner.
    So I wasnt so dependant of the autoblip thing.

And the satisfaction competing with more normal drivers sidestepping this handicap was much higher - than knowing that I had got a special "service" and that was the reason I could compete.:)

18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I think he can use his current setup if he can manage to bind a button to manual downshift - it should be possible.

19. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I can bind the left Paddle, L2, D ring and SE buttons on the T-150. I know I said I couldn't bind the T-150 buttons up in reply # 5, but I was wrong. I am going to be gone the weekend for cataract eye surgery Monday. I should be back Wednesday if everything works like the doctor said. I will let you guys know how the wheel work.

Thanks for your input and opinions

"Nash"

20. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I personally only see one "problem" with auto gearbox in R3E, it's that it rarely downshift if you're braking and turning at the same time. Braking in a straight line - all is fine, but if you try to extend your braking into cornering phase you can find yourself one or even two gears higher on exit, which kills your acceleration and you lose a lot of time. So I downshift manually. In some cars it also helps braking or turn-in.

However I can see a reason behind it. I guess it's to prevent upsetting your car's balance while it's under heavy and uneven load. On the other hand, other sims don't seem to have much issue downshifting in such conditions, so who knows.

Regarding neutral on low speeds, I also think it's a feature to add realism, to prevent engine from stalling. And it happens under like 20? 25 km/h? Slowing so much while on a track shouldn't normally happen, I'd guess you're taking a wrong approach in such corners.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022