Question Ping Rate

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nash Bobo, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Maskerader, I know what VPNs are but, why a VPN? What can it do for a gamer?

"Nash"

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    If there's a problem somewhere between your ISP and game servers, with VPN you might get a route around that place.

3. Hendrick

Hendrick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    VPN makes multiplayer menu faster and easy to access but still ping will be high

4. Roland Horn

Roland Horn New Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    A VPN can only cause deterioration, if at all, you connect back to the backend via a server, where do such ideas come from, what is the point? If the ping obviously improves, it is because the connection to the second node, i.e. the VPN, is better, but then there is still no way to the VPN server. Please refrain from such recommendations.

The question is, to which server does the questioner want to connect, what kind of line is it? A copper connection is generally more unstable than a dedicated fiber optic line, etc.

A connection from Europe to Australia is generally worse than continental. In the case of a copper line, it makes e.g. It makes sense to see how the current utilization is. Here you can choose speedtest.net or similar providers, because the lines are also used by others and the bandwidth changes depending on the time of day.

5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    The point is to reroute your connection to the server in case the issue is somewhere between your ISP and game servers. Last year, for example, there were many cases where players' connection to their ISP was great, but the game didn't work properly.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Im pretty sure nash's issue is due to his isp and his location (rural ), so sometimes he will get spikes , thats about it really , we forget that ppl can be miles away from a junction box with cables swinging in the wind

Andi

7. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Here is my timeline with Raceroom. I started RRE on 5/4/2020 with my old Win 10 computer. It went very well with no pinging problems. Then in November of 2021 I got a new Win 11 computer. No problems. Then about March 5th of 2022 I started to have pinging problems. Started to look around in Google and the forum for help. Could it be RRE software/updates? Well, no one else is complaining so I don't think so. Could it be Microsoft updates? It's unknown at this time. I haven't installed any new software. But something happens in early March. But what? Could it be my ISP? Could someone change the pinging standards? Unknown. Right now, I am unplugging my router for at least 30 min's before I race. It's working so far. Here is a ping test as of 27/3/2022 4:00pm CET with nothing running.

Thanks for the help

"Nash"

ping test 2x.jpg

8. Doug Spinster

Doug Spinster Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    All them Countries you posted are targeted Countries in a Cyber Wars. Expect DoS attack, flooded servers and what ever, this all started when the War Started in Ukraine.. March 5th was the beginning of Cyber Wars.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  9. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I live in the middle of the east coast of the U States. Anyone else complaining about pinging problems with Raceroom servers from the states?

"Nash"