Problem WTCR AI unrealistic pace when alone

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Horseprisest972, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Horseprisest972

Horseprisest972 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a problem with the WTCR AI in game. After a few laps, when the leader have a big enough gap (around 1 sec.) to the second placed car, it switches to a pace what is impossible to follow. Depending on the track it can be around 5 sec per lap faster than me. I have experienced this with and without adaptive ai as well. It doesn't seem to happen in all of the races (or I didn't notice it), but it is bad enough to kill immersion.
    I have attached the results of my latest race (as you can see Tarquini was more than 3 seconds a lap faster than the Lynk&Cos behind him and almost 5 seconds faster than me. He also won a 15 minute race by 20 seconds)

Attached Files:

2. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I can confirm that for "all" classes but it happens not every race. Currently I run only 2x10 mins races. Happens maybe every 3rd-5th race but only If an AI Driver has free track. And this "Bug" exists quite long, I sadly have to say

3. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
  4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    How often does it happen if you race against only one AI? Will it happen on lap 1 or 2, or will it only happen after a few laps?

5. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Have a squiz at my post (link above). Key points:
    • It doesn't always happen (especially if human player has the leading AI car under pressure);
    • When it does occur it's reliably on the 5th or 6th lap (of a 10 lap race - I always do 10 laps);
    • It's always the leading AI car that puts on the after-burners and disappears into the distance;
    • It's of course reasonable that the lead car would do this once in clear air BUT the amount by which they do it (3-6 seconds per lap) is unrealistic.
    • It may not be a speed up at all but rather an exaggerated slow down of other AI cars in traffic (which is really just saying the same thing from a different perspective - result is the same).
    • I have observed that AI cars that find themselves in clear air (e.g. due to a spin) often set a fastest lap even if they are towards the back.
    I will have a chance later to collect some data from recent races and see what I find. It's 18 months since I last looked at the data (but I have still noticed it happening from time to time).

6. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I remember your thread but don't remember if anyone asked that question. Looking at the AI behaviour when there's only one AI might help pinpoint the conditions required for this issue.

7. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Yes - good idea.

I haven't done that but as far as establishing whether or not this is still a thing or not, I just looked at data from my own recent races (last 2 weeks or so) with the F4 at Assen, Nogaro and Valerbanen.

Race data examined: 25 races, Tatuus F4, 10 laps, AI=102

No. of races where winning AI car showed a speed increase of around 3 seconds per lap or more from lap 5/6 on: 8

So that's roughly one in three races (8/25) where it happened. It occurred most frequently at Assen, less so at Nogaro and not at all at Valerbanen.

A couple of examples are shown below:

upload_2022-6-20_13-17-26.png upload_2022-6-20_13-20-35.png
    Data from Second Monitor App.

To be honest I'm not sure its a big problem although as stated above it's the difference in lap times that is surprising. You can be chasing the lead cars and everyone (including you) is running at a similar pace having a great race and then suddenly the leader takes off and finishes 15 seconds or more ahead of everyone else. Note that in most cases the AI car in second place kept going at roughly the original race pace (so 1:43s and maybe 42s in the examples above).

Do we care? A little bit in my case but I can also live with it if it's hard to fix or others don't mind it. As the OP says though, it does make it hard to choose the right AI level if you want close racing to the finish and a chance to win. I've noticed it doesn't happen if you can keep your car right on the tail of the leader, but if they get a bit of a gap... bye bye.

(I prefer not to use Adaptive AI so I don't know whether it happens there as well - it probably does as AAI just sets a level and goes with it..).:)

• Like Like x 1