R3E Web Dashboard Released

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Stefan Mizzi, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Very nice, I like!! Thanks :)

Once I finish the first one, then it will be very easy to create these other ones as all I need is change a bit of html and css etc

Hehe, yeah...I did in fact think of the navigation part last night. I'm thinking of having a page with images of all dashboards and the user then just chooses the one he wants, but we can come to this as we go along.

2. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Found some time today and updated the site with a dashboard selector page. Also uploaded 2 digital dashboards. Will do the others later on.

Once you open http://r3e.proracing.club/ and click on "Launch Dashboard", you'll be taken to this page:

selection.PNG

digital1.PNG

digital2.PNG

Cheers

• Like Like x 7
  4. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Hey Stefan, just saw your app on Race Dept. and decided to download it and give it a try.

First impressions? Damn, this is awesome! ha. I followed the guide on RD which is the same as in your first post here, and it installed very easily. The software installed perfectly, and I had no problems going to the website and typing in the IP and port#. Both on my computer and then my phone. Once that was all set.. after about 2 minutes.. I was ready to load up the game.

From there, I have a few observations. I like the different choices of... displays? The different colors, and then the different layouts. They all seem fairly easy to see clearly, and the layouts make sense.

On track, the app didnt seem to have any real problems. Although, I did notice that it seems as though the data being displayed in the app is about .5 - 1 second behind being "live." For example, the gear indicator doesnt show the exact moment I change gears, but about half a second afterwards. That isnt much of a problem, but the same happens with the rpms, and speedometer. Revving the engine shows the rpms skip values and go up a few hundred at a time, even when revving the engine slowly. Same with the speedo. In a DTM car, accelerating from about 110 kmh up to 180, it would accelerate too fast for the app to update the proper "live" speed, and would be behind, as well as updating by the tens, ie. 110, 120, 130...

Im wondering if this is a limitation of the app? It has to extract that data from the game... then send it over the internet connection to my phone which then displays it on screen. That cant possibly be instantaneous can it? So I imagine a slight delay is inherent to how this works. Or do you think my internet connection is slow and not good enough to display real time info?

I have never used a dashboard app before, like dashmeter pro, so I have nothing to judge this on.

Aside from that, the current laptime was displaying a bit buggy. It had the correct time, but while it would display that, it would be jumping all over. Say I was at 51 seconds into the current lap. It would display that, and then immediately show 25 seconds... and then jump to 1:15... and then back to 52 seconds... and then jump around some more. Odd.

Last bit of feedback... The shift lights. Perhaps it was just on my screen, but I wasnt easily able to notice when they were lit up. The "off" color is too close to the "on" color for me. If that makes sense.

Anyways, that was far too much feedback and criticism without saying, thank you! This app is awesome already and will probably only get better. Appreciate the work to bring this to R3E. :)

Cheers

Oh, and for reference, Im using a Samsung Galaxy S4. The size of the display works on my phone perfectly. Didnt have any issue there :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Hi nate,

Thank you for your feedback :) When I tested the app on my devices, I did not see any "lag" really except for the "GEAR" in the analog dashboard, which I did realise is lagging and I intend to change that component.

Anything else was running smoothly. Two things affect if there is any lag:

1. Network
    2. Cpu

I made available 2 choices for network using Internal or External IP. The latter will be slower as it has to go to the outside word and come back. Which one are you using?

The app might use some cpu as it has to render all the stuff on screen. So if cpu is already being used a lot, it might lag. But the S4 is powerful and I doubt you have much stuff going on taking the cpu.

Was it all dashboards or just the analog? The analog is quite heavy as it is calculating and rendering more stuff and I need to improve its performance.

Regarding the LEDs, I agree too. Noticed that to be honest but did not have enough time to improve it. I'll take note and try and make it more clear :)

I'll be uploading some more designs when I get time, but before I'm gonna try and fix these issues.

Cheers

6. R. Winkler

R. Winkler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I didn't realize a lag between app and game. Maybe you have a bad WiFi Connection with your S4?

@Stefan Mizzi
    - How about a tyre lock/spin indicator?
    - Is it possible to record performance data and to export it to graphs?

7. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    I don't remember seeing this kind of info (tyre lock/spin) coming from the API but maybe I missed it?

Yes, it is possible to save data and export it to graphs..but it all depends how much data, the frequency of saving and where to save it :) Once the data is saved somewhere, it would be easy to render it to different types of graphs.

What kind of data you're thinking of? Ideally data is saved into a database but this has the overhead of users needs to install one. Otherwise, data could be exported to JSON files which is fine but not the best performance. Or sqllite with no install requirements but then limited. There are other solutions of course.

Anyway, let me know what kind of data first and then I'll think if feasible :)

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  8. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Awesome! I'm on vacation so I won't be able to test the updates untill August.

For data export it would be really cool if you could export some overall data for a session or lap with brakepoints, shiftpoints, speed etc all ralative to a line or map.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Don't worry....I'm more at the beach then at home with all this heat here :D

10. R. Winkler

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    My misstake, i saw it in a dashboard for AC. But maybe some indicators for amount of throttle/brake?

This kind of data. Especially lap/sector times, temperaturs, speed :) Maybe it's possible to store the information in xml files

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Uploaded small updates today (no need to update anything from your side as it's all web stuff)

IMAGE 1
    1. Changed Gear component as it was sluggish
    2. Tire colors now make more sense ( hope!)
    - light blue to dark blue=colder to cold
    - green normal
    -orange getting hotter
    - red super hot
    Note that colors morph into each other between ranges.

image1.PNG

IMAGE 2 & 3
    1. Updated digital led lights to be dimmer when not lit and brighter when lit
    2. Also fixed bug when mapping revs to lights. Should be smoother now

image2.PNG

image3.PNG

Cheers

12. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    The trace telemetry tool does allow you to do that, for example here are up and down-shifts

[​IMG]
    Although having all visualizations as html instead of a dedicated app does sound neat... Maybe @Stefan Mizzi and I can settle on a common format to store recorded sessions, that way people don't have to run multiple recording tools while playing?

13. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    What you've done is cool mate :) today I started experimenting with saving data and I'm using sqlite. Used it a lot in the past but never with huge amount of data so not sure how it will handle that.

What ive done is I've created a table and stored most of the data at every end of each lap. But then this data is only available per lap...so things like speed, rpm and other similar stuff is useless. Also car and track name are missing. There is also no session id.

Are you saving all car coordinates and then plot the map or rendering everything on the fly? With rf2 I have done something similar but I generate track maps beforehand and then just render the car moving.

14. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Yes all recorded first, in a custom "binary/raw" datatformat. So no sql or alike, just the full shared memory struct. Currently the tool is record first, then analyze. No "live" telemetry, however the recorder (its own app) could dump the file for completed laps every time player is in pause or so...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Sounds cool! So you are keeping everything in memory right? Then when you want plot the data from this memory object?

My experiment with Sqlite yesterday seems very positive. Do not think of the usual database being installed like mySQL/MS SQL server etc......Sqlite is just a .db file....the user does not need to install anything and small in size.

I did a couple of mp races yesterday and managed to save almost all data for each lap and I could get the data back whenever I want to display it online, export or whatever needs to be done.

I'll experiment some more then I can send you the code (but I code with C#, guess you with C++) if you're interested in it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    It's two separate apps, one keeps everything in memory and dumps to file on session change (though I could change fileformat to allow appending data and then append on completed laps). The other app just loads and displays the recorded data.
    I actually use LuaJIT for this, but it can call native C functions and manage memory like C as well. And there is bindings for sqlite, too https://github.com/Wiladams/LJIT2SQLite

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Today I experimented with Real Time Data Graphs and create a widget for tire temperatures. Not sure if these kind of widgets will be useful but if someone wants to see what's happening to tires over the session time, this would be good. Haven't uploaded anything yet as I have other untested code....which are graphs for session data (still in experimental mode).

But here's how the real time graphs look. If you notice, the graph colors change. I was doing wheelies :p So graph of rear tires changed from ice blue to dark blue to green, then to orange and finally to red....

tiretemp1.PNG

tiretemp2.PNG

tiretemp3.PNG

tiretemp4.PNG

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. R. Winkler

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday i was wondering about the colors for the tyre temps. The left tyres seems to be cooler according to the color, but are hotter according to the values.
    For example left front 95° - yellow, right front 92° - red.
    So maybe this is a bug or you only take the highest/lowest value for inner/middle/outer side of the tyre!? So it would be nice to know how the colors are determined.

Graph feature is looking good so far :)

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Looks like a bug to me. That component is quite complex and lots of things are happening there. So I wont be surprised if something is not right.

Each tire component is divided in 3 parts, outer/middle/inner, so lets say its a rectangle with 3 squares inside. Each square is updated according to the API temp values as shown on top of the tire indicator. I set the colour of each square according to this:

below and equal to 70 ice blue
    from 71 to 80 blue
    from 81 to 100 green
    from 101 to 110 orange
    over 110 red

However, it even goes beyond this, as the colours morph into each other between sections. My suspicion is that the bug is here. I'll make some tests tonight.

Thanks for your feedback!!!

20. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Today I successfully managed to save some session data (can save whatever is shared in memory really) and stream it back to the web dashboard on users request whenever he/she wants.

This data will be shown in grids and I will also start adding graphs too for data to be analysed. Users will be able to check last session data with a click of a button or search old data.

@R. Winkler I found the issue with the tires temp/colors and made a fix. Basically the color to temp mapping was a bit overlapping.

grid.PNG

• Love it! Love it! x 2