App Offical release of Crew chief version 4 - auto updating and shiny

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jul 29, 2015.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Your log suggests that the MS speech engine isn't installed.

I've made some substantial changes to this app now and there's a new version up on Google Drive (same link). I'm going to update the instructions to match...

2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Great.

I'll not be able to test this version soon sadly, because I have issue with my headset.
    But, a small thought: Will you be able to allow a selection of the output device (if not already the case). Like a teamspeak client for example. This may allow to have only chief crew on the headset and game sound on the (big) sound system. Something more immersive than chiefcrew getting out the sound system.

3. Der Kiebitz

Der Kiebitz Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I will test the new version and give you feedback! Thanks!

4. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    the new version doesn't require a mic. You can assign a button to 'toggle spotter on/off' or 'toggle messages on/off' without needing a microphone. I'm seriously behind in my testing with this but if I've not screwed it up, you should be able to turn messages or spotter info on / off with just a controller button.

I don't know if I can assign output to a different audio device. I don't think it'll be possible inside the app - perhaps Windows can assign an application to an audio device somewhere in the windows sound mixer

5. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    It's up to the application.
    Windows will give the "default sound device" on any app that doesn't specify it.

There's plenty of apps that allow this (winamp was one by it's time), teamspeak client is a good example.

6. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    the built in C# SoundPlayer doesn't, as far as I know, allow a different audio device from the default

7. Der Kiebitz

Der Kiebitz Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The newer Version did it directly without any installations! :)
    Thanks a lot!

8. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
  9. Der Kiebitz

Der Kiebitz Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That was to early...
    Program only startet ones. I assigned a Button on my wheel. And then stopped working again.
    And I can not restart the crewchiefV2.exe again... :(

10. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    When you assign a button to 'talk to crew chief' the app will attempt to initialise the speech recognition engine. This is why it fails for you. The app also remembers what buttons you've assigned, so next time you run it, it'll see there's a button assigned to 'talk to crew chief' and it'll attempt to initialise the speech stuff again. That's why it keeps failing after assigning that button.

Delete the /Users/[username]/AppData/local/CrewChiefV2 folder to reset the user settings.

But I don't understand what's causing the app to fail. If you've installed the speech redistributable, and the en-GB location pack, and you're on 64bit windows, and have a default sound capture device set up in Windows, it should work.

I've uploaded a newer version which has a lot more error checking. If it fails to initialise it should show why in the main app window and should continue to work (without speech). Can you try this new version and tell me what errors you see in the app console window?

Ta

11. Der Kiebitz

Der Kiebitz Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    OK, here is what the tool wrote to me: :confused:

Got button at index 8
    Unable to configure speech engine grammar
    Exception message: The language for the grammar does not match the language of the speech recognizer.
    Attempted to initialise speech engine - success = False

So my German grammar is the problem! ;-)
    By the way: It is a Thrustmaster TX Wheel!

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  12. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Excellent, that's really helpful.

I didn't realise I had to explicitly set the location (CulturalInfo) on the GrammarBuilder objects as well as the SpeechEngine. It was using the default for your Windows install on the GrammarBuilders, which is German, even though the SpeechEngine was using en-GB. Which is why you get the mismatch.

I've fixed that code and have uploaded a new version which should now work for you

• Like Like x 1
  13. Der Kiebitz

Der Kiebitz Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I will try it as soon as possible (whem I am back home)!

14. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else managed to get this working properly? I'm still in need of as many bug reports and as much feedback as I can get my hands on.

If anyone with a 32bit OS fancies giving it a whirl I'd like to know the result. I think the speech recognition won't work on 32bit but it'd be nice to see if the app itself works, so I can retire version 1.9. I do intend to make a proper 32bit version of this available including the 32bit voice recognition stuff. I'm also going to separate the app, sound pack, and dependencies, offering each as a separate download or an optional download with the whole lot.

If anyone finds they're able to run the app OK, but then after assigning a "Talk to crew chief" button it stops working, I'd like to know. If this does happen try deleting the user settings in C:/Users/[name]/AppData/local/CrewChiefV2.

Another big thing on the todo list is to make the user settings editable - I'll add some UI for this.

The git repo with the source and the current issue list is here:

https://github.com/mrbelowski/r3e_crewchief_v2

15. Gerson Malty

Gerson Malty Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Can you please make a tutorial in video and show some stuff in action? It will be nice to share with others enthusiasts in the community!

16. MPN64

MPN64 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    This needs an mic and the speech recognition software as it is now, right?

17. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    no, it doesn't need a mic or speech recognition stuff. This is entirely optional. The speech recognition stuff is bundled with the zip file download - you can install it and use it if you want to, but if you don't want to use speech recognition, just run the app and don't assign a controller button to "Talk to crew chief".

The intention is to entirely replace the old crew chief with this one, which works the same as the old one but also supports voice recognition and button events for those that want to use them. If you just want to carry on using it like the old crew chief, just run the CrewChiefV2.exe (extract the zip file first, of course), then click "Start application". Bish bosh.

[edit] I've clarified this in the first post, which was a little misleading :)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  18. Der Kiebitz

Der Kiebitz Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I have just tested the new version.
    And no more errors.
    The system is trying to understand me!!! :D:)

19. Der Kiebitz

Der Kiebitz Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    First try:

Listening...
    Stopping listening...
    recognised : what's my position confidence = 0,8814245
    :tonguewink::sunglasses:

20. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Excellent. That's a major relief, and it's good to hear it understands someone else - thanks for the update fella, hope you can make it understand all the time :)