The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    If you are like me and originally got lured to R3E because you were nerved by the inapt AI in Assetto Corsa, make sure you check out the new update 1.2.1, which not only comes with Zandvoort track and five new cars, but with a whole truckload of tunings, repairs and features. Amongst all that is a massive improvement of the AI, which now can really overtake and provide you with acceptable race event experiences. It still is not as vivid and good as for example R3E in this regard, but it is, by all means, solid.

Physics and FFB have been tuned as well, physics are even more superior now, I would say, while most people agree that FFB is even more subtle now, almost benchmark in some people's opinion. To me, the FFB still is too weak in general, but I have to change my former view and admit that it indeed was tuned to make more subtle effects noticable now.

The new cars are wonderful. All of them. I love them all, more than the 10 cars in the dreampack.

The Zandvoort track advertises itself for comparison to its R3E pendant, since it is not laserscanned, but done with GPS and some other clever techniques. By looks of the trackside,m the R3E track as usual looks more vibrant, colourful, more alive, while the AC tracks has less object details and uses the usual pastel colour palette, giving the whole place a very different atmosphere, somewhat abandoned, forsaken, lonely. The driving on both tracks is great, however, though different. The R3E track has some steeper camber here and there, and with that might be closer to the real thing, according to some feedback in the AC forum where people compared to the real track which they know from own driving experience. However, the R3E track is relatively smooth, the AC track is more bumpy and probably in that regard is more realistic. The AC version reassures me in my opinion that laserscanning is not absolutely necessary for creating good and enjoyable tracks: I love both the AC and the R3E version. All R3E tracks are not laserscanned, but I rate them amongst the best tracks I have ever driven and seen in the past 25 years - and the same I say about the very differently created AC tracks. So, laserscanning is nice if you get it, and if not, the sky nevertheless is not falling.

Further improvements on the MP side, many people I read in their forum saying that for them all what they wanted for MP now is there. Considering what a notoriously nagging group multiplayers are LOL, this really says something.

In the AI department, R3E still holds the lead, but the lead has become much smaller. Regarding physics, Assetto Corsa is the leader, and it has developed that lead further.

Racing events against the AI in AC now makes sense, especially with slower car classes with more stable attitude. I currently would recommend to be careful with BMW 235i's and the Lotus Formulas, which the AI is not able to control with the standard it shows with most other cars now. I tested extensively yesterday and on almost all Kunos default tracks - all turns 1 and 1 in first laps were successfully negotiated by the AI, no major incidents, and the overwhelming majority of situations were passed by the AI without even minor touches.

Collision physics also have been repaired. I would compare them now to what you have as standards when establishing car body contacts in DTM-92 cars in R3E. I found all incidents when I managed to spin off - to be triggered by my own fault, hitting too fast or doing something stupid in front of the AI so abruptly that it simply had not time to react while obeying physics. Plenty of car body bumping and paint scratching between them and me - and we both running on. Collisions really compare much to R3E now. Very good.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  2. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the impartial review, very hard to find these days. Look forward to trying it out.

3. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Agreed Skybird. I RACED AC for a few hours yesterday. Raced is in all caps because now the AI is competitive and I can run races in the game. Before the patch, all AC was for me was an expensive hotlapper and the AI was just dreadful. The AI is much improved and I've had a blast with it for a couple of days now. I had a race at Brands yesterday where I ran side by side with another car on the final lap with some light contact. He got past me and won the race and it was just brilliant. I've already edited my review for it on Steam.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    The Quattro, Nissan, and Toyota are my favorites with the Nissan being obviously the crown jewel out of the pack (you know I love my Nissans and my Ferraris above all others). I've driven several hundred laps with the Nissan and it just feels good, sounds good, and does well in races.

6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I like the five new cars all better than the 10 cars-pack from the dreampack.

The only bitter pill there is is that the new physics have ruined the BMW 235i for me, which before was a favourite of mine, now is a primadonna loving to try figure skating on ice. Somebody said there is a similiar problem with the F1 GTR, and that it stems from a typo in the physics files for that car. Maybe it is something similar for the bimmer.

All of them five new cars are absolute winners, imo. Superb looks interior and exterior, solid sounds.

7. Kevin Rötting

Kevin Rötting Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion R3E is more fun to play with a good multiplayer system. Ingame leaderboard, sector times, fastest laps, podium after the races, profile pictures, country flags, many more options.. These are the little things that make a game addictive. Which make it fun to play. But Assetto Corsa has by far the best physics. You can feel every mogul in the car, fantastic.

R3E with Assetto Corsa physics = PERFECT game. Who agrees?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    see: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...ekend-25th-28th-june.24617/page-2#post-490837

Note that I wrote that some weeks ago, about AC version 1.1. Obviously, the comment on the AI by now is outdated. I think R3E still has the lead and AC still has a way to go with the AI, but the lead for R3E has become much smaller regarding AI.

9. mrSweSin

mrSweSin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    sorry hope you not read what i deleted.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    LOL No... escape... the Skybird is always overhead, watching... :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. garytc78

garytc78 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    my 2 cents:

the new 1.2 update is definitely an improvement in terms of AI and physics.
    I think AC has better physics/FFB over R3E, but R3E feels more complete and challenging!
    It has better looking tracks (maybe more alive as somebody mentioned above) but AC has better car interior graphics (with more polygons). I wonder why car intrerios in R3E has so few polygons over Assetto Corsa? :-(

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I cut it just short, regarding the FFB. I have almost 700 hours in AC since it was released in Early Access, and almost 70 hours in R3E since April this year.

For AC, there were several FFB and wheel setup guides avialable over the past 18 months or so, some with and soem without Kunos staff's approval. I tried the recomemnded settings there , later changed general FFB stregnth only up and down, and then again some of the other scales up and down again. Some worked better, some less. Its not that what i have now - and what is in conformity with some often suggested avises out there - does nto work. It works, but all the time I feel that if O want to stiffen the "bite" of the effects in general, this only is possible at the cost of loosing subtlety in feedback, whereas the greatest variety in subtelty of feedback I get when havign the general siffness by which effects get shown at levels that for my taste are so low and weak that the steering feels not as enjoyable as what I have in R3E (which still has more sub-scales to play with, tho9ugh I have not touched them that much, sinc eI liked the generla setting quite well that the game came with).

The new FFB in AC is more subtle, which probably is due to the physics beign impoved (being mor subtle) as well, and since both obviously are linked to each other, physics deciding the FFB, this is no surprise. Its just that i would wish that I could have the whole level of effect strength beign risen, as if just pushing up the master slider for FFB power that there is. But if I do that, the range of effects feeded back, becomes thinner, flatter, if you undersdtand what I mean. I feel the weight and mass of the car more believably, at the cost of missing more easily what the car does, and why. This works better in R3E. Here it is stronger level of general effects - and still better contrasting of different effects.

Possible that it might be different with other wheels. Logitech may do good hardware, but their software often is a disastrous mess since eons, especially the Logitech profiler that is known to have issues with windows since at least 2010 or even 2008. In some sims, I need to run the profiler, else the wheel does not get recognised correctly in the sim (AC is such a case, so the Profiler settings need to be considered too, making it even more complicated). Other sims do not correctly recognise the wheel if I do not manually disable the profiler or launch without it, the wheel does not work correctly in the game with profiler on. I likme the G27, it is best bang for the buck ratio and works well enough for my needs, I am not willing to spend more money on a wheel and pedal set than what I spend for it. But the software is simply BS, and I am not the only one thinking so. You can find complaints about the problems I hinted at that go back until the year when the G25 was released. Logitech never cared to bring its profiler software in the correct shape.

So believe me, i gave it quite some time of experimenting, and consideration. More than just setting up an interface hardware should deserve.

I also take into account that quite some of the popular driver over at AC told in threads that they prefer to have some effects completely switched off, for they feel canned, to improve their understanding of the car not being interfered by that. But that is not an option either, I think, because reducing effect variety and locking out "aspects of reality", cannot be the solution to "gain more realism" - that is a contradiction in itself.

So I stand by it. For me, the FFB in AC has been improved, but is generally to weak in strength of effects - or loosing variety of effects when increasing the strength of those effects still being felt. I like the way R3E does the FFB better. If their would be a slider on a scale, and "physics feedback via eye" and "physics feedback via FFB" written at both ends of the scale, the slider for AC would be further to the first, and in R3E it would be further to the latter. That does not mean anything about the complexity of the physics calculated by the physics engine, its only about what the steering is able to communicate back to the player. Not dramatic differences - but big enough to consider them and develop a preference for the one of the two systems.

Cutting it short, yeah. Shortcutting, and me. LOL

13. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Bye.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0

Seriously, is this language really necessary? Good lord.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I don't understand what he's trying to say anyway... :confused:

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I understood the F word and thats about it. I thought Eddie Murphy or Richard Pryor had posted on here for a few

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Aren't you the fella who asked me to add swearing to Crew Chief? I'd assumed you were talking about the quality of the English rather than the fact it was peppered with swear words ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Yes but there's no need to curse at someone on a message board because you don't agree with them. I'm fine with cursing. I curse a lot, but I'd never do it to someone on a message board.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I'm just pullin yer leg :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. MPN64

MPN64 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Question is there an Crew Chief kind of an app available for AC? I have tried the spotter but I have not seen an crew chief app.

@mr_belowski hint hint:D